PDA

View Full Version : We Are The Walruses

gabosaurus
12-15-2007, 09:23 AM
And global warming is killing us.
Either that, or Stephanie is talking WAY too much... :)

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/9519289p-9429886c.html

Dilloduck
12-15-2007, 09:32 AM

get used to it---men don't have the abilty to cool the world.

gabosaurus
12-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Speaking of such, enjoy being cool today. My best friend Beth told me the temps were going to dip below freezing tonight in Austin. :)

Warmer weather patterns in Alaska signal a gradual change for the rest of the planet. You just don't want to admit it.

Kathianne
12-15-2007, 09:41 AM
It doesn't appear to be that unusual:

From your link:

The deaths took place during the late summer and fall on the Russian side of the Bering Strait, which separates Alaska from Russia.

http://alaska.fws.gov/fisheries/mmm/walrus/nhistory.htm

Distribution and Migration

The Pacific walrus mainly inhabits the shallow continental shelf waters of the Bering and Chukchi seas. The distribution of Pacific walruses varies markedly with the seasons. Virtually the entire population occupies the pack ice in the Bering Sea in the winter months. Through the winter they generally congregate in two areas, one immediately southwest of St. Lawrence Island and the other in outer Bristol Bay. As the Bering Sea pack ice begins to loosen in April, walruses begin to move northward and their distribution becomes less clumped. By late April the distribution extends from Bristol Bay northward to the Bering Strait. During the summer months, as the pack ice continues to recede northward, most of the population migrates into the Chukchi Sea. The largest concentrations are found near the coasts, between 70 degrees North and Pt. Barrow in the east and between Bering Strait and Wrangel Island in the west. Concentrations, mainly of males, are also found on and near terrestrial haulouts in the Bering Sea in Bristol Bay and the northern Gulf of Anadyr throughout the summer. In October the pack ice develops rapidly in the Chukchi Sea, and large herds begin to move southward. Many come ashore on haulouts in the Bering Strait region. Depending on ice conditions, those haulout sites continue to be occupied through November and into December, but with the continuing development of ice, most of them move south of St. Lawrence Island and the Chukchi Peninsula by early to mid-December.

Natural Mortality

...Trampling can result in abortion, injury, and death during stampedes at crowded haulouts and has been observed at Wrangel Island in the Chukchi Sea and the Punuk Islands in the Bering Sea.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/research/alaska/figures/figure38.gif&imgrefurl=http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/research/alaska/alaskaC.html&h=371&w=269&sz=16&tbnid=6JPzYxq81f3VsM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbering%2Bstrait%2Bmap%26um%3D1&start=2&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=2

gabosaurus
12-15-2007, 09:44 AM
You are picking and choosing your words. Go to the part that says how rarely it happens. And how the death toll numbers have increased with further recession of the ice.

Kathianne
12-15-2007, 09:45 AM
You are picking and choosing your words. Go to the part that says how rarely it happens. And how the death toll numbers have increased with further recession of the ice.

Hardly, I just went and looked up walruses and stampeding. You however never seem to ask why such would be reported months after the fact. Bali anyone?

Dilloduck
12-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Speaking of such, enjoy being cool today. My best friend Beth told me the temps were going to dip below freezing tonight in Austin. :)

Warmer weather patterns in Alaska signal a gradual change for the rest of the planet. You just don't want to admit it.

Austin freezes damn near every winter. I don't think I'll panic this year either.

All time low for Dec in Austin is 4 degrees. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/cli/ausnorm.htm

Doesn't matter---Men cant' cool off the earth but go ahead contribute to the Gore scam generously.

Said1
12-15-2007, 10:43 AM
It's pretty friggin cold for this time of the year. -20, not including the wind chill. This time last year, we didn't have any snow. :(

Kathianne
12-15-2007, 10:46 AM
It's supposed to freaking snow in Chicago today. Again. 5-8" who would have thought? :coffee:

Kathianne
12-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Just upped that prediction of snow, 8-10". Must be the global warming.

Hey dmp, 8-10"!

Trigg
12-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Just upped that prediction of snow, 8-10". Must be the global warming.

Hey dmp, 8-10"!

We'll see if this actually happens. My daughter is busily making cookies in anticipation of all this snow.

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 4 PM EST Sunday.

Snowfall will develop today and intensify tonight into Sunday
morning with heavy snow likely. Total snow accumulations of 10 to
15 inches are possible with locally higher amounts. Northeast
winds of 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph are also expected and
will create blowing and drifting snow that will severely impact
travel in the area through Sunday.

Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or your local media for the later
updates on this situation... or for more information visit our web
site at weather.Gov/iwx

A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow...
sleet... and ice are expected or occurring. Strong winds are also
possible. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible.

Pale Rider
12-15-2007, 03:14 PM
It's pretty friggin cold for this time of the year. -20, not including the wind chill. This time last year, we didn't have any snow. :(

It's been well below the average temp for around the Sierra Nevadas too by about ten degrees, for almost a month now.

manu1959
12-15-2007, 03:17 PM
sunny....blue skies.....a crisp 65......

Kathianne
12-15-2007, 03:18 PM
We'll see if this actually happens. My daughter is busily making cookies in anticipation of all this snow.

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 4 PM EST Sunday.

Snowfall will develop today and intensify tonight into Sunday
morning with heavy snow likely. Total snow accumulations of 10 to
15 inches are possible with locally higher amounts. Northeast
winds of 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph are also expected and
will create blowing and drifting snow that will severely impact
travel in the area through Sunday.

Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or your local media for the later
updates on this situation... or for more information visit our web
site at weather.Gov/iwx

A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow...
sleet... and ice are expected or occurring. Strong winds are also
possible. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible.

LOL! I was thinking cookies too! It's snowing now.

Said1
12-15-2007, 04:57 PM
It's been well below the average temp for around the Sierra Nevadas too by about ten degrees, for almost a month now.

Did that cut your bike season a bit short?

Kathianne
12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Well I was going to say that this 'heavy snow' just looks to be fizzling out, but lo and behold the National Weather Service just upped their forecast with a warning of 6-9", the local meteorologist are sticking with 8-10", by noon tomorrow.

Glad my car is in the garage. :coffee:

DUPAGE-COOK-LA SALLE-KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHICAGO...OTTAWA...OSWEGO...MORRIS...
JOLIET
348 PM CST SAT DEC 15 2007

...HEAVY SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 12 PM CST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A HEAVY SNOW
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 12 PM CST SUNDAY. THE SNOW
ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW WILL GRADUALLY INTENSIFY THROUGH THE
EVENING HOURS...WITH MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW CONTINUING THROUGH THE
OVERNIGHT HOURS. STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED TO
RANGE FROM UP TO 6 INCHES ACROSS THE EVANSTON...WEST
CHICAGO...AND MENDOTA AREAS...TO 6 TO 9 INCHES FROM CHICAGO AND
THE SOUTHERN SUBURBS TO JOLIET TO MORRIS. THE INCREASING INTENSITY
OF THE SNOW LATE THIS AFTERNOON INTO TONIGHT WILL MAKE FOR
HAZARDOUS TRAVEL ACROSS THE AREA THIS EVENING INTO THE OVERNIGHT
HOURS AS MANY ROADS BECOME SNOW PACKED. IN ADDITION TO THE HEAVY
SNOW ACCUMULATION...NORTH WINDS WILL STRENGTHEN THROUGH THE
EVENING WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH POSSIBLE OVERNIGHT. THIS WILL RESULT
IN AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES. SNOW WILL TAPER
TO LIGHT SNOW AND FLURRIES ON SUNDAY MORNING.

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST
THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF
YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN
YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

Trigg
12-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Well it looks beautiful outside. We just got back from picking our son up from a wrestling meet and the roads are slippery and the wind is blowing the snow around which made the road hard to see. Glad I don't have to be out anymore.

We probably have 3 inches, but unless the snow gets worse we won't see the 10-15 predicted. I may be wrong though, guess we'll know in the morning.

Kathianne
12-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Well it looks beautiful outside. We just got back from picking our son up from a wrestling meet and the roads are slippery and the wind is blowing the snow around which made the road hard to see. Glad I don't have to be out anymore.

We probably have 3 inches, but unless the snow gets worse we won't see the 10-15 predicted. I may be wrong though, guess we'll know in the morning.

Same here, I think we ended up with 3-4". It's not too heavy, which is good for me, bad for the kids that want to make snowmen.

Trigg
12-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Guess I was wrong we now have 10" of snow and it is still coming down. Here are a couple of pics from the back yard....

red states rule
12-16-2007, 09:01 AM

I am watching global wamring bring snow, ice, and high winds here today

The NE is digging alot of global warming off their driveways and sidewalks

This might cheer you up however

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E42mIvjzRw&feature=related

Said1
12-16-2007, 01:51 PM
57 cm planned for the next 24 hours. We beat the national record for this time of year. Oh joy. Woot. Woot. If it was warmer, like it supposed to be, this wouldn't be happening. Is 2007-08 exempt from global warming, or someting!? The wind is blowing so friggin hard AND cold I had several brain freezes trying to get to the stupid laundry mat. :lame2:

Dilloduck
12-16-2007, 01:54 PM
57 cm planned for the next 24 hours. We beat the national record for this time of year. Oh joy. Woot. Woot. If it was warmer, like it supposed to be, this wouldn't be happening. Is 2007-08 exempt from global warming, or someting!? The wind is blowing so friggin hard AND cold I had several brain freezes trying to get to the stupid laundry mat. :lame2:

You sure it wasn't from guzzling frigid beer again? :laugh2:

Said1
12-16-2007, 02:00 PM
You sure it wasn't from guzzling frigid beer again? :laugh2:

No. No beer involved. Just dirty clothes. :(

Dilloduck
12-16-2007, 02:04 PM
No. No beer involved. Just dirty clothes. :(

might be more fun drunk ??:cheers2:

Said1
12-16-2007, 05:10 PM
might be more fun drunk ??:cheers2:

More like impossible. The snow is up to my freakin KNEES in some places. I noticed the little sidewalk plough went by AFTER I was all done. Nice. Real nice I tell ya!

Trigg
12-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Well the city has finally started towing those cars half hidden under snowdrifts off the road. I hate driving down side streets that are only 1 1/2 cars wide, because people won't move their cars. Tow um and good riddence!!!

On a side note it is warming up here and the rural roads are getting some attention from the county, took them long enough. I have hills to either side of me and my van doesn't handle the snow/ice very well.

darin
12-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah - Trigg....you're making me envious. We've got liquid snow here...and it's depressing.