PDA

View Full Version : Baseball and steroids .. do you care?

gabosaurus
12-15-2007, 09:31 AM
After careful consideration, I have to say that I don't.
Sure, steroids can help you hit a baseball further. But you still have to hit it. Years worth of steroid injections still won't help you actually connect with a baseball moving in excess of 90 miles per hour.
Steroids is a MUCH bigger problem in football, where the whole idea is to be bigger and stronger. No one would think of putting together a "Mitchell Report" in football, because more than half the NFL would be indicted.
Baseball and hockey still rule over football. Steroids or not.

Mr. P
12-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Sure, steroids can help you hit a baseball further. But you still have to hit it. Years worth of steroid injections still won't help you actually connect with a baseball moving in excess of 90 miles per hour.
Steroids is a MUCH bigger problem in football, where the whole idea is to be bigger and stronger. No one would think of putting together a "Mitchell Report" in football, because more than half the NFL would be indicted.

Sure I care. For historical reasons primarily. Bonds broke Arron's record while on drugs, as far as I know Arron wasn't..The record should remain with Hank. What about Ruth? Steroids? Records need to be based on an equal basis, a level playing field, anything else is BS.

glockmail
12-15-2007, 11:44 AM
It's fucking cheating. It sucks.

krisy
12-15-2007, 12:04 PM
I care,big time. It is cheating and I was soooo disappointed about some of the names in this report. I'm passionate about baseball and I own the t.v. in my house in the spring and summer watching it.

If steroids did not do something physically for these guys,they wouldn't risk thier names and careers by dong them. There is a physical advantage and I agree that Bonds record isn't a true one.

I haven't read the whole report,it's way to long,but I read snippets on ESPN.com and some of the players did take the human growth hormone for injuries only. Doesn't make it right,but Andy Petit is one of my favorites and one example of this. I believe it said he never bought the hormone,but his trainer injected him a couple of times for a shoulder injury. It's wrong weither way,I suppose.

Anyway,it's a very bad thing for baseball and all sports. Your not watching the athletes themselves,just some guy that is a lot stronger because of them.

5stringJeff
12-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Sure I care. For historical reasons primarily. Bonds broke Arron's record while on drugs, as far as I know Arron wasn't..The record should remain with Hank. What about Ruth? Steroids? Records need to be based on an equal basis, a level playing field, anything else is BS.

My thoughts exactly.

dan
12-15-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't care inasmuch as I don't really care about sports, but I do care in the sense that, as everyone's said, it's cheating and yes it's all about power. Anybody can be taught to hit a ball, as with almost any sport, physical strength is a huge factor.

I am, however, seriously confused by all this mock-surprise that people like the president are trying to put out there. "Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi didn't double in size naturally??? Really?!"

manu1959
12-15-2007, 03:05 PM
as my brother says.......

all sports are fixed

all women are the same

all coke is cut

pegwinn
12-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Don't care.

Records are still records. Eventually they will recatagorize into Altered/Natural.

Doing drugs is a personal choice. So long as your choice doesn't infringe on my rights, then be my guest. So long as T&A are legal, any drug discussion is hypocrisy.

I am more ticked that someone actually thought this was worthy of Congressional meddling. Where in the US Constitution is Congress authorised to hold hearings on the conduct of athletes in pro sports? If they broke the law, then jail em at the local level.

82Marine89
12-15-2007, 07:53 PM

So how many of Bonds hits wouldn't have been homers?

I care enough that I will stop watching baseball.

pegwinn
12-15-2007, 11:41 PM
So how many of Bonds hits wouldn't have been homers?

I care enough that I will stop watching baseball.

I can't see doing that. IF you truly enjoy something and another guy is screwing the pooch, it should not be you that suffers.

I am a big cowboys fan. Michael Irving is a doper. I objected to the MCX selling Michael Irving memorabilia as he wasn't a fit example for our kids to look up to. I damn sure would not give up enjoying football on account of his failings. Of course neither the Cowboys or the exchange gave up the profits from the dopers play.....

No good answer.