PDA

View Full Version : Work Parties

Said1
12-15-2007, 05:18 PM
There were some career ending moves this year, including my supervisor who could be heard yelling 'I hate my fucking job' clear across the room. And it was a big room. :laugh2:

Kathianne
12-15-2007, 05:21 PM
There were some career ending moves this year, including my supervisor who could be heard yelling 'I hate my fucking job' clear across the room. And it was a big room. :laugh2:

LOL! I don't do work parties, always a big mistake. I figure most of these people I'd never be friends with, why socialize? I work with them fine, Christmas time is busy enough making time for those I really care for.

dan
12-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to go to my office party or not. If they have an open bar, I will, that's the clincher.:laugh2:

Said1
12-15-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to go to my office party or not. If they have an open bar, I will, that's the clincher.:laugh2:

That's what did it for me. And there are a few really nice people in my section, so I figured, what the hell?

We had another just for our section last night. Now that was FUN. Free drinks again.

glockmail
12-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Wifie and I used to have a great time at my old company party. Great old inn in Upstate NY, on the shore of one of the Finger Lakes, huge snowflakes falling like clockwork, open bar, great people, and great food. What's not to like? One year I nearly wrecked the car on the way home, so the next year we rented a room to stay there. The third year I we had about ten couples rent rooms, and the fourth year thay had to move to a bigger hotel!

Those were great times. Damn I miss those people.

Abbey Marie
12-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Sounds like you may be promoted soon, Said. :D

Mr. P
12-15-2007, 10:39 PM
LOL! I don't do work parties, always a big mistake. I figure most of these people I'd never be friends with, why socialize? I work with them fine, Christmas time is busy enough making time for those I really care for.

Oh I am SOooooo with ya on this!

gabosaurus
12-15-2007, 10:48 PM
My husband's company doesn't have a Christmas party. Or any type of post-work activities. Financial analysts and advisers make a ton of money, but they are too cheap to spend it on each other.
We did have sort of the holiday bonus today. One of my husband's supervisors invited us up to his home (one of those huge $10 million jobs) for lunch. Then we went out on his sailboat.
Now I know why people become Republicans. :lmao:

Said1
12-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Sounds like you may be promoted soon, Said. :D

:lol: No thanks. The same guy I mentioned earlier gave the legal HR woman a big bear hug after his emotional outburst. I'm surprised he didn't break her spine. Then one of the IP paralegals went up to a (hot) senior partner and said "I'm the hottest girl in IP and I plan to ....... you tonight.' It was great. I'm SOOOOO glad I went. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
12-15-2007, 11:37 PM
:lol: No thanks. The same guy I mentioned earlier gave the legal HR woman a big bear hug after his emotional outburst. I'm surprised he didn't break her spine. Then one of the IP paralegals went up to a (hot) senior partner and said "I'm the hottest girl in IP and I plan to ....... you tonight.' It was great. I'm SOOOOO glad I went. :laugh2:

That was some party!

glockmail
12-16-2007, 07:34 AM
My husband's company doesn't have a Christmas party. Or any type of post-work activities. Financial analysts and advisers make a ton of money, but they are too cheap to spend it on each other.
We did have sort of the holiday bonus today. One of my husband's supervisors invited us up to his home (one of those huge $10 million jobs) for lunch. Then we went out on his sailboat.
Now I know why people become Republicans. :lmao:

A very enlightening post, explaining much. You are a "kept woman". Prolly a nice "seat ornament" as well.;)

diuretic
12-16-2007, 06:54 PM
The only one I can remember which was notable - although I had left by the time of the event - was held in a courthouse in a district I worked. The detectives were invited over by the court staff for Christmas drinks. I'd left as I said but I found out next day at the office that one of our female detectives had, in her exuberance, pulled out her pistol (female detectives carried a Walther PPK back then) and put a bullet in the ceiling of the courthouse. It was covered up of course.

glockmail
12-16-2007, 08:35 PM
The only one I can remember which was notable - although I had left by the time of the event - was held in a courthouse in a district I worked. The detectives were invited over by the court staff for Christmas drinks. I'd left as I said but I found out next day at the office that one of our female detectives had, in her exuberance, pulled out her pistol (female detectives carried a Walther PPK back then) and put a bullet in the ceiling of the courthouse. It was covered up of course. Maybe it wasn't the gun that went bang.

gabosaurus
12-16-2007, 09:41 PM
I am unfamiliar with the concept of a "kept woman." If you are a stay at home mom, does that make you a "kept woman"?
Marriage is a partnership. My husband has a high profile job that requires a lot of fraternization with certain movers and shakers. I accompany him as his wife.
He has supported my quest for an advanced degree (a foreign concept to many of you, I know) and a chance at a better job in my field. With both of us working in the fields of our choice, with jobs that we enjoy, we will serve as better parents and role models for our daughter. I hope it will inspire her to strive for the same thing herself, and not settle for a dead end job that offers no chance for advancement. I want my daughter to be a leader, not a subservient or cannon fodder.

Yurt
12-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I am unfamiliar with the concept of a "kept woman." If you are a stay at home mom, does that make you a "kept woman"?
Marriage is a partnership. My husband has a high profile job that requires a lot of fraternization with certain movers and shakers. I accompany him as his wife.
He has supported my quest for an advanced degree (a foreign concept to many of you, I know) and a chance at a better job in my field. With both of us working in the fields of our choice, with jobs that we enjoy, we will serve as better parents and role models for our daughter. I hope it will inspire her to strive for the same thing herself, and not settle for a dead end job that offers no chance for advancement. I want my daughter to be a leader, not a subservient or cannon fodder.

just make sure she doesn't turn out like you everything will be alright :D

glockmail
12-16-2007, 10:16 PM

Yes that makes you a kept woman. Now if you work while the kid's in school, not just arranging flowers and baking cookies, then you wouldn't be. And becoming a professional student definitely makes you a kept woman. Not that this is bad, but to be one and not able to admit it says a lot about a person.

gabosaurus
12-16-2007, 11:31 PM
What do I need to admit, dear Glockie? Taking a full load of grad classes and writing a 120-page dissertation are not exactly baking cookies and arranging flowers. Obviously, you know ZERO about marriage and professional careers. Perhaps you never bothered to get an education.
If being a full-time student requires being "kept," then I obviously am such. At least my husband is able to support me.

diuretic
12-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Maybe it wasn't the gun that went bang.

Funny you should mention that.

diuretic
12-17-2007, 12:10 AM

Education's a wonderful thing, education can change lives in a very real way. I hate seeing people not achieve their full potential through lack of educational opportunity.

diuretic
12-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Yes that makes you a kept woman. Now if you work while the kid's in school, not just arranging flowers and baking cookies, then you wouldn't be. And becoming a professional student definitely makes you a kept woman. Not that this is bad, but to be one and not able to admit it says a lot about a person.

You dissed Donna Reed in The Donna Reed Show. THIS MEANS WAR!!! :coffee:

Said1
12-17-2007, 08:00 AM
What do I need to admit, dear Glockie? Taking a full load of grad classes and writing a 120-page dissertation are not exactly baking cookies and arranging flowers. Obviously, you know ZERO about marriage and professional careers. Perhaps you never bothered to get an education.
If being a full-time student requires being "kept," then I obviously am such. At least my husband is able to support me.

My ex paid my way through college. I would have done the same for him as I'm sure you would too.

glockmail
12-17-2007, 08:52 AM

I "kept" my wife and supported here through years of post grad. Maybe someday she'll do the same for me, but since its only been 21 years, we'll have to wait and see. Obviously I know more than zero about both subjects.:lol:

Nice to see you admit that you are "kept". I never said it was anything to be ashamed of, just that you be honest about it. It only took you 4 or 5 posts to do so. What does that say about your self-esteem? :coffee:

glockmail
12-17-2007, 08:54 AM
You dissed Donna Reed in The Donna Reed Show. THIS MEANS WAR!!! :coffee: Now that's my kind of woman- perky!

Abbey Marie
12-17-2007, 12:44 PM

It does seem that my daughter was quite affected by seeing me at my office when she was little. She seemed to like the (to her) big desk, and the meetings. She grew up to be ambitious, and does extemely well in school. This is far from scientific, but I think especially in the case of a girl, mom's values and role modeling really matter. She got the education/job "connection" message loud and clear, but in retrospect, I would have emphasized giving and compassion even more.