PDA

View Full Version : News Media Should ‘Regulate’ New Media/Bloggers

82Marine89
12-15-2007, 10:05 PM
In another arrogant piece from a “professional” journalist claiming that Internet journalism is “dangerous,” one where the writer imagines that he is somehow the personification of truth in “reporting,” we get yet another screed on the theme that they are the only ones that should be allowed to be called “journalists.” And this one is a hoot, too. In an article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, former journo and current professor David Hazinski seems to imagine that it’s the job of the “news industry” to “monitor and regulate” the content of blogs and Internet journalism. No, I’m serious, he really said that! This self aggrandizing piece is so filled with blind assumptions and presumptuous pap that it quite literally boggles the mind.

Lately, we have seen quite a few of these screeds against Internet journalism with nose-in-the-air, self congratulatory philosophies underlying their logic. Hazinski’s takes it to the next step, though. In Unfettered ‘citizen journalism’ too risky , Hazinski, a former NBC correspondent and current professor of telecommunications and head of broadcast news at the University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism, has graciously deigned to lower himself and his fellow “professionals” to the role of overlord, making sure we ignerint Internet writers conform to the obviously higher standards that he and his fellow journalists employ so successfully in their field — can you say Dan Rather and Jayson Blair?

Amusingly, Hazinski can’t even grant that citizen journalists could be either a citizen or a journalist, it seems, as in nearly every usage of the term he puts scare quotes around the words “citizen journalists” calling the relative truth of both words, singular or combined, into question. Even the title of the piece uses quotes around the words to call into question the legitimacy of the term.

It ranges from the CNN YouTube debates to political blogs to cellphone video of that sniper who opened fire at an Omaha Mall. These are all examples of so called “citizen journalism,” the hot new extension of the news business where the audience becomes the reporter.

I love how he says “so called” preceding “citizen journalism.” I use that convention a lot myself and I mean it to eviscerate the legitimacy of what follows, not merely to gently question it. Who can doubt that Hazinski is using the “so called” in the self same manner here? I found myself considering his contentious use of quotes in this context, though, as I’d find it more contradictory to say that real journalists themselves are “citizens” of anything, really. Other than their apparently closed fraternity of so-called professionals, of what are they citizens? After all, how many times have we heard news hounds claim that their first loyalty is to the news and not their country?

But, of course, this potentate, jealously guarding his keyboard from the encroachment by the hoi polloi, has determined that what we do “really isn’t journalism at all.” Worse, he feels it is the duty of his better, smarter kind of folk to somehow “regulate” what happens on the Internet.

Supporters of “citizen journalism” argue it provides independent, accurate, reliable information that the traditional media don’t provide. While it has its place, the reality is it really isn’t journalism at all, and it opens up information flow to the strong probability of fraud and abuse. The news industry should find some way to monitor and regulate this new trend.

Click for full text... (http://www.therealitycheck.org/2007/12/14/news-media-should-regulate-new-mediabloggers/)

diuretic
12-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Another blogger taking himself WAY too seriously! :laugh2:

I could write shite in a blog and some people would believe it, there are so many dumbarses around. At least if I pick up a newspaper I can be reasonably certain that some kind of quality control was used in producing its content.

The blogger has to realise it's more than having an ability to string words together.

gabosaurus
12-15-2007, 11:00 PM
I would rather have them regulate hate-mongers like Coulter and Malkin. Journalists should be writers and not rabid attack dogs.

Lazarus
12-15-2007, 11:27 PM
David Hazinski - " But unlike those other professions, journalism — at least in the United States — has never adopted uniform self-regulating standards. There are commonly accepted ethical principles — two source confirmation of controversial information or the balanced reporting of both sides of a story, for example, but adhering to the principles is voluntary. There is no licensing, testing, mandatory education or boards of review. Most other professions do a poor job of self-regulation, but at least they have mechanisms to regulate themselves. Journalists do not."
Seems to me as if Mr. Hazinski is feeling threatened that " journalists " such as himself no longer control the narrative.
And he is using his professions' self-admitted lack of standards as an excuse to regain that narrative through a form of censorship.

News outlets no longer provide us with mere facts; they now direct us in how to interpret the simple facts which they report. All in the goal of dumbing-down the population.
The average citizen who develops a weblog does not believe in that directive.
Any competing interpretation tends to lead to a critiquing of both - the establishment cannot allow that because it tends to come out on the losing side.

There are very few remaining true journalists left in that profession.
And blogs will not be its' death knell; treating us as simpletons will be their demise.

hjmick
12-15-2007, 11:29 PM
The news media needs to regulate themselves before the start worrying about regulating anyone else.

82Marine89
12-15-2007, 11:44 PM
I would rather have them regulate hate-mongers like Coulter and Malkin. Journalists should be writers and not rabid attack dogs.

So they should regulate people who write opinion pieces? 1st Amendment only apply to democrats? Malkin is also a blogger, so if they regulate her, they regulate you. Do you have a problem with people controlling what you say?

stephanie
12-15-2007, 11:56 PM
I trust the lamestream journalist of today, about as much as I trust a used car salesman..

I get most of my news off the web, where it can be dissected to see it has ANY truth in it...:coffee:

82Marine89
12-16-2007, 12:10 AM
I think they should regulate this (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-hendra/a-thanksgiving-prayer-for_b_34780.html) clown. What do you think gabby?

stephanie
12-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Shoot..if they regulated bloggers..how would we be able to read that witty...rudepundit.

Oh that's right...he's a liberal..so he should be free to spead his hate..:poke: