PDA

View Full Version : National Review Endorses Romney

Hugh Lincoln
12-16-2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316498,00.html

Many conservatives are finding it difficult to pick a presidential candidate. Each of the men running for the Republican nomination has strengths, and none has everything — all the traits, all the positions — we are looking for. Equally conservative analysts can reach, and have reached, different judgments in this matter. There are fine conservatives supporting each of these Republicans.

Our guiding principle has always been to select the most conservative viable candidate. In our judgment, that candidate is Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts. Unlike some other candidates in the race, Romney is a full-spectrum conservative: a supporter of free-market economics and limited government, moral causes such as the right to life and the preservation of marriage, and a foreign policy based on the national interest. While he has not talked much about the importance of resisting ethnic balkanization — none of the major candidates has — he supports enforcing the immigration laws and opposes amnesty. Those are important steps in the right direction.

Roadrunner
12-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Pretty good summary of their reasons for supporting Romney. Other conservative journalists have begun to take a second look at Romney as well.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/29757.html

12-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Pretty good summary of their reasons for supporting Romney. Other conservative journalists have begun to take a second look at Romney as well.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/29757.html

excellent article. Thank you for bringing it to my attention

manu1959
12-18-2007, 12:42 PM
for me romney has emerged as the best CEO to run this company we call america.....

Hugh Lincoln
12-18-2007, 08:49 PM
It's like Romney's this catch-all generalist who doesn't have the odder baggage of the other guys. Except for the Mormon thing. And his weird hair.

JohnDoe
12-19-2007, 12:29 AM
i think he will be thought of as a flip flopper on several issues, and this could haunt him....the tape of him that was shown this weekend was pretty damning on is views of abortion when running in massachusetts a few years back, he was so convincing to the Dems in mass on that issue and now taking the opposite side does not look good.

Maybe the religious right can over look it, but I am uncertain on that....

gabosaurus
12-19-2007, 01:51 AM
National Review is a conservative publication. Romney is about the most conservative candidate running. This does not surprise me at all.

Pale Rider
12-19-2007, 02:55 AM
If I was put money on a long shot bet right now who's going to be our next President, I'd have to say Romney.

I'll support Tancredo and Hunter until they drop out though. Those two are the best men for the job in my opinion. They just didn't have enough money to get their word out. Too bad.

stephanie
12-19-2007, 04:42 AM
If Romney is considered a conservative in the Republican party..

Then I think it's time for conservatives to split with the Republicans and form their own party...:cheers2:

bullypulpit
12-19-2007, 06:08 AM
We happened to tune in the night Romney announced his candidacy. The first words from my wife's mouth were, "That man would f**k the babysitter!" Being the shrewd judge of character that she is, I couldn't find anything to disagree with.

red states rule
12-19-2007, 06:11 AM
We happened to tune in the night Romney announced his candidacy. The first words from my wife's mouth were, "That man would f**k the babysitter!"

Seems Mitt does worry the left as Hillary is crashing and burning

bullypulpit
12-19-2007, 06:15 AM
If Romney is considered a conservative in the Republican party..

Then I think it's time for conservatives to split with the Republicans and form their own party...:cheers2:

Then you and your fellow conservatives should join James Dobson, Tony Perkins and the rest of that lot and let you freak flags fly! Form a third party and split the GOP vote even further! Yee Haa!

red states rule
12-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Then you and your fellow conservatives should join James Dobson, Tony Perkins and the rest of that lot and let you freak flags fly! Form a third party and split the GOP vote even further! Yee Haa!

Keep dreaming that dream - just like you were saying how Hillary would stroll into the Oval Office

So far, everything libs have tried has backfired on them

bullypulpit
12-19-2007, 06:18 AM
If I was put money on a long shot bet right now who's going to be our next President, I'd have to say Romney.

I'll support Tancredo and Hunter until they drop out though. Those two are the best men for the job in my opinion. They just didn't have enough money to get their word out. Too bad.

Tancredo and Hunter are such a toxic combination stupid and creepy that they'll never appeal to anyone beyond the slack-jawed mouth breathers that keep sending them back to Congress.

red states rule
12-19-2007, 06:20 AM
Tancredo and Hunter are such a toxic combination stupid and creepy that they'll never appeal to anyone beyond the slack-jawed mouth breathers that keep sending them back to Congress.

Yea, to libs it is reprehensible they actually want to enforce our immigration laws, and make people follow the rules before they come to live in the US

KarlMarx
12-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Romney may be good, but I still like Fred Thompson. I like his style and he's quite conservative. I also like him refusing to go along with that "show of hands" at the last debate.

red states rule
12-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Romney may be good, but I still like Fred Thompson. I like his style and he's quite conservative. I also like him refusing to go along with that "show of hands" at the last debate.

I agree

Fred has not been running a good campaign. He would be make a great VP and give a boost to the ticket

Fred does give it straight and does play words games like Hillary

bullypulpit
12-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Yea, to libs it is reprehensible they actually want to enforce our immigration laws, and make people follow the rules before they come to live in the US

I got no problem with that. But Chimpy and his corporate backers want a source of cheap labor that won't complain when they're forced to work in unsafe conditions without benefits or a living wage.

red states rule
12-19-2007, 08:07 AM
I got no problem with that. But Chimpy and his corporate backers want a source of cheap labor that won't complain when they're forced to work in unsafe conditions without benefits or a living wage.

while libs want to give them SS benefits, in state tuition, drivers licenses, and coming soon - voting rights

Libs always fall back on the evil corporations while ignoring their own desires to welcome illegals to the US with open arms

5stringJeff
12-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I have major issues with Mitt's health care positions. He doesn't seem to be a free-market solution kind of guy.

Roadrunner
12-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Just for information, here's a pretty good analysis of the Massachusetts Health Plan. Since health care will be a big issue in the 2008 campaign, people should have a look at what was produced by the bluest of the blue states with Romney as governor.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/HealthCare/bg1953.cfm

12-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I have major issues with Mitt's health care positions. He doesn't seem to be a free-market solution kind of guy.

His health care position centers around the free market. How can he not be a free market solution kind of guy when that is his very plan?

JohnDoe
12-19-2007, 05:44 PM
His health care position centers around the free market. How can he not be a free market solution kind of guy when that is his very plan?

But aren't people that make a moderate income basically FORCED to buy Health Insurance under his plan?

That doesn't seem like the "free market" to me?

Maybe i don't understand his plan now? Could you explain it to us?

jd

5stringJeff
12-19-2007, 10:15 PM

But aren't people that make a moderate income basically FORCED to buy Health Insurance under his plan?

jd

That's the biggest problem I have; people are forced to buy insurance. That's not free market, that's government coersion. Here's the quote from the Heritage Foundation link Roadrunner posted: "Imposes a mandate on individuals to buy cover*age and penalties on employers who do not pro*vide and subsidize coverage for their employees."

Abbey Marie
12-19-2007, 11:18 PM
People are forced to buy car insurance to drive legally, and usually homeowner's insurance to get a bank-financed mortgage, no? Why not require health insurance as well?

5stringJeff
12-19-2007, 11:22 PM
People are forced to buy car insurance to drive legally, and usually homeowner's insurance to get a bank-financed mortgage, no? Why not require health insurance as well?

I have a problem with that government forcing me to buy auto insurance as well. If I have the money to pay for whatever wreck I get into, why should I have to buy insurance?

The homeowner's insurance is something the bank "requires" you to buy, so technically speaking, you could save up 100% of the selling price of a home, purchase it, and not have to get homeowner's insurance. I think that would be incredibly shortsighted, but you could do it.

I have a very hard time with the federal government forcing me to buy any such product.

nevadamedic
12-20-2007, 12:27 AM
i think he will be thought of as a flip flopper on several issues, and this could haunt him....the tape of him that was shown this weekend was pretty damning on is views of abortion when running in massachusetts a few years back, he was so convincing to the Dems in mass on that issue and now taking the opposite side does not look good.

Maybe the religious right can over look it, but I am uncertain on that....

He already is considered that, why do you think they call him Multiple Choice Mitt.

He would also make America one big sanctuary city.

5stringJeff
12-20-2007, 12:29 AM
why do you think they call him Multiple Choice Mitt.

So why is it that when McCain changes his position, it's laudable, but when Romney changes his position, he's "Multiple Choice Mitt?"

nevadamedic
12-20-2007, 12:35 AM
So why is it that when McCain changes his position, it's laudable, but when Romney changes his position, he's "Multiple Choice Mitt?"

Because McCain is a life long Conservative and doesn't change his position every five minutes like Multiple Choice Mitt.

5stringJeff
12-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Because I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!!!

Fixed that for ya.

nevadamedic
12-20-2007, 04:03 AM
Fixed that for ya.

Damn straight.

red states rule
12-20-2007, 06:04 AM

jd

JD why should I have to pay for someone elses health ins? I am fed up with the left wanting to coddle people with cradle to grave programs

As far as your question on the health plan in MA

http://www.mass.gov/agr/news/health_care_reform_act.htm

nevadamedic
12-20-2007, 06:06 AM
JD why should I have to pay for someone elses health ins? I am fed up with the left wanting to coddle people with cradle to grave programs

Because that's the Liberal way.

red states rule
12-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Because that's the Liberal way.

True. If Dems can;t get the votes, they need a liberal judge to toss out those votes and create a new law from thin air

Pale Rider
12-22-2007, 01:03 AM

Go slurp on a big, fat turd you gutter licking, liberal, trailer trash. You got no room to talk about anybody you fat ass, pig pokin', puss sack. If this country was under your control, we'd all be saying Felis Navidad right now instead of Merry Christmas you toothless, butt crack pickin' freak.

JohnDoe
12-22-2007, 01:07 AM

So, rsr, are you saying you agree with the Liberal Health care plan of the Liberal Massachusetts?

And isn't Mitt's plan the same Plan as Hillary's on healthcare?

jd

12-22-2007, 02:52 AM
So, rsr, are you saying you agree with the Liberal Health care plan of the Liberal Massachusetts?

jd

No. Because Mitt's plan isnt a government run plan. In fact, it's run by the private sector. It allows for competition between issurance companies and places the power to pick providers back in the hands of the people rather than giving it over to the government.

red states rule
12-22-2007, 05:57 AM

jd

It is far from Hilary care JD. It allows the free market and ins companies to step in and work with people so they can get health care

To Dems, if the government is not doing it - it is not good enough

5stringJeff
12-22-2007, 04:41 PM
No. Because Mitt's plan isnt a government run plan.

However, it is a government mandated plan.

JohnDoe
12-22-2007, 04:51 PM
No. Because Mitt's plan isnt a government run plan. In fact, it's run by the private sector. It allows for competition between issurance companies and places the power to pick providers back in the hands of the people rather than giving it over to the government.

hillary's is near the same plan and ALSO is done through private insurance companies avatar.

OCA
12-22-2007, 04:52 PM

KAPOW! There it is in a nutshell, Mitt is as conservative as Barney Frank.

JohnDoe
12-22-2007, 05:02 PM
only hillary's does NOT force you to take out insurance as the massachusett's plan or Romney plan does....

Hillary's American Health Choices Plan covers all Americans and improves health care by lowering costs and improving quality. It speaks to American values, American families, and American jobs.

It puts the consumer in the driver's seat by offering more choices and lowering costs. If you're one of the tens of million Americans without coverage or if you don't like the coverage you have, you will have a choice of plans to pick from and that coverage will be affordable. Of course, if you like the plan you have, you can keep it.

Affordable: Unlike the current health system where insurance premiums send people into bankruptcy, the plan provides tax credits for working families to help them cover their costs. The tax credits will ensure that working families never have to pay more than a limited percentage of their income for health care.

Available: No discrimination. The insurance companies can't deny you coverage if you have a pre-existing condition.

Reliable: It's portable. If you change or lose your job, you keep your health care.

If you have a plan you like, you keep it. If you want to change plans or aren't currently covered, you can choose from dozens of the same plans available to members of Congress, or you can opt into a public plan option like Medicare. And working families will get tax credits to help pay their premiums.

Small businesses are the engine of new job growth in the U.S. economy but face bigger challenges when it comes to providing health care for their employees. Hillary would give tax credits to small businesses that provide health care to their workers to help defray their coverage costs. This will make small businesses more competitive and help create good jobs with health benefits that will stay here in the US.

Insurance companies won't be able to deny you coverage or drop you because their computer model says you're not worth it. They will have to offer and renew coverage to anyone who applies and pays their premium. And like other things that you buy, they will have to compete for your business based on quality and price. Families will have the security of knowing that if they become ill or lose their jobs, they won't lose their coverage.

Nobody has worked harder or longer to improve health care than Hillary Clinton. From her time in Arkansas when she improved rural health care to her successful effort to create the SCHIP Children's Health Insurance program which now covers six million children, Hillary has the strength and experience to ensure that every man, woman and child in America has quality, affordable health care.

more details: http://www.hillaryclinton.com/feature/healthcareplan/summary.aspx

12-22-2007, 07:08 PM

so government mandated car inssurance is socialized accident coverage?

Dilloduck
12-22-2007, 07:38 PM

The State of Texas will fine you and/or revoke your driving priviledges if you do not contribute premiums to a legitmate insurance company. What if you want to take your chances and not have insurance?

5stringJeff
12-22-2007, 09:28 PM

It's a loss of freedom. And yes, I'm against mandatory auto insurance. If you have the money and don't want insurance, you shouldn't be forced to buy it.

12-22-2007, 11:40 PM
It's a loss of freedom. And yes, I'm against mandatory auto insurance. If you have the money and don't want insurance, you shouldn't be forced to buy it.

that's definitely a good viewpoint. I wont argue with that there.

But then Romney's plan centers around the states being in charge of health care and not the federal government, so i dont know that anything will change in that regard.