PDA

View Full Version : Russia Delivers Nuke Fuel to Iran

red states rule
12-17-2007, 06:08 AM
So little Adolph gave up his quest for nukes? Oh, he promised Russia it would not be used for nukes

OK

Russia delivers nuclear fuel to Iran

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Russia said Monday it has begun fuel deliveries to an atomic power station in Iran, which is at the center of international concerns over Tehran's ambitions to develop nuclear weapons.

Russia says its fuel can only be used at and for the Bushehr plant.

Atomstroiexport, Russia's nuclear power equipment and service export monopoly, completed the first stage of deliveries Sunday, Russian nuclear officials said.

The Russian monopoly is building the $1-billion Bushehr plant under the control of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). The Russian foreign ministry and nuclear officials said the fuel delivery was under full IAEA safeguards.

Construction on the Russian-designed nuclear plant has continued despite pressure from the United States.

Iran denies its nuclear program is intended for anything but peaceful purposes.

A statement on the Russian Foreign Ministry's official Web site Monday said the Iranian side has provided additional written guarantees that the fuel can only be used at and for the Bushehr plant, and that the spent fuel will be returned to Russia for utilization and storage.

"The nuclear fuel is being delivered to Iran about six months ahead of the time when it will be actually used for producing energy, as stipulated by technical requirements," the statement read.

The fuel deliveries will be made in several stages over two months, Russian nuclear officials said. The first stage was completed Sunday, officials said, when IAEA-certified fuel containers were delivered to a special storage facility, inspected by the IAEA, at the plant.

Moscow's direct support for Iran's nuclear program has aggravated tensions between the United States and Russia.

The U.N. The Security Council has repeatedly demanded that Iran suspend enrichment of uranium and has imposed limited sanctions on Tehran for refusing to comply. Russia, France, and China -- all permanent Security Council members -- have voiced concerns about the proposed sanctions.

A recent U.S. intelligence summary concluded that, contrary to earlier suspicions, Iran halted its nuclear weapons development in 2003.

for the complete article

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/12/17/russia.iran/

Dilloduck
12-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Why do I get this feeling that the US cut some sort of back door deal with Iran that if they kept their asses out of Iraqs' business we wouldnt make a big fuss about their nuclear aspirations ?

red states rule
12-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Why do I get this feeling that the US cut some sort of back door deal with Iran that if they kept their asses out of Iraqs' business we wouldnt make a big fuss about their nuclear aspirations ?

I do not think the US had anyhting to do with this

You can be sure Israel will not stand for Iran getting nukes

Dilloduck
12-17-2007, 09:12 AM
I do not think the US had anyhting to do with this

You can be sure Israel will not stand for Iran getting nukes

Oh I'm SURE we would have had to promise something to Israel too !!

red states rule
12-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Oh I'm SURE we would have had to promise something to Israel too !!

I believe it is common knowledge Israel will NEVER allow Iran to have nukes

glockmail
12-17-2007, 10:33 PM
It will be interesting to see how long Israel can refrain from attacking. This will be one way to "open the door" toward full scale war with Iran, withut having to start it ourselves. :popcorn:

red states rule
12-17-2007, 10:36 PM
It will be interesting to see how long Israel can refrain from attacking. This will be one way to "open the door" toward full scale war with Iran, withut having to start it ourselves. :popcorn:

I would give them about 30 minutes after they are convinced Iran is close to - or have - nukes

glockmail
12-17-2007, 10:47 PM
I would give them about 30 minutes after they are convinced Iran is close to - or have - nukes Wahy wait? They could use the fuel in a dirty bomb. Russia delivering the stuff 6 months ahead of schedule means GW will be able to make the decision to "GO".
:coffee:

red states rule
12-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Wahy wait? They could use the fuel in a dirty bomb. Russia delivering the stuff 6 months ahead of schedule means GW will be able to make the decision to "GO".
:coffee:

Hey, I agree. They should call Corning and tell them in about 30 minutes there will bea lot of glass in the desert

glockmail
12-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Hey, I agree. They shoudl call Corning and tell them in about 30 minutes there will bea lot of glass in the desert They would be wise to stay conventional.

red states rule
12-17-2007, 10:51 PM
They would be wise to stay conventional.

If you are going to do it - do it right