PDA

View Full Version : I Am Legend

Abbey Marie
12-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Has anyone seen it and care to comment on it? We are thinking of seeing it soon.

Good story? Graphic violence?

Hagbard Celine
12-17-2007, 03:13 PM
It's a dirty liberal intimation to the War in Iraq :poke:

hjmick
12-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Has anyone seen it and care to comment on it? We are thinking of seeing it soon.

Good story? Graphic violence?

I saw it Saturday. It was very good, though it did avoid the subject a vampirism as described in the original book. The violence was not excessive nor was it graphic. There were a few "gotchya!" moments making my wife and a few others start. It is certainly worth the matinee price, and I would not have been disappointed had I paid full price or waited and bought the DVD when it comes out (this is one gauge I use, would I have been disappointed had I bought the DVD?). The depiction of an abandoned New York City is eerie. All in all, I would recommend it.

The 1964 Vincent Price version, The Last Man on Earth probably stayed closest to Matheson's book, while the 1971 classic The Omega Man with Charleton Heston is closest to this current version. Make no mistake, however, I Am Legend is very good and much better than the previously mentioned films.

manu1959
12-17-2007, 03:21 PM
great movie.....based on a great book......liked the original better.....but if you like will smith you will like it....

Abbey Marie
12-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks Mick and '59. It sounds good, and I think we will see it during Christmas week, with all the wilding teens. :coffee:

hjmick
12-17-2007, 03:29 PM
great movie.....based on a great book......liked the original better.....but if you like will smith you will like it....

It was indeed a great, albeit short, book.

manu1959
12-17-2007, 03:55 PM
It was indeed a great, albeit short, book.

my favourite type of book......unlike gulag....

Pale Rider
12-17-2007, 03:59 PM
I saw it Saturday. It was very good, though it did avoid the subject a vampirism as described in the original book. The violence was not excessive nor was it graphic. There were a few "gotchya!" moments making my wife and a few others start. It is certainly worth the matinee price, and I would not have been disappointed had I paid full price or waited and bought the DVD when it comes out (this is one gauge I use, would I have been disappointed had I bought the DVD?). The depiction of an abandoned New York City is eerie. All in all, I would recommend it.

The 1964 Vincent Price version, The Last Man on Earth probably stayed closest to Matheson's book, while the 1971 classic The Omega Man with Charleton Heston is closest to this current version. Make no mistake, however, I Am Legend is very good and much better than the previously mentioned films.

Thanks for the overview mick. I'll probably buy it when it comes out on Blue Ray.

darin
12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
I REALLY thought I had replied here with a review. :(

I'll add my thoughts later - generally it was a good movie.

Nukeman
12-17-2007, 07:58 PM
I thought it was a good movie!!! My wife and I saw it with some friends Saturday night.

I thought it was just intense and realistic enough. My wife said that Wil Smith did a great job of not looking foolish or crazy while talking to himself...

The acting was really good.

Like pointed out earlier it doesnt have a lot of gratuitis violence or gore....

gabosaurus
12-18-2007, 06:48 PM
I want to see it for two reasons.
One, I think Will Smith is among the greatest actors of our generation. Also, I loved "The Omega Man."
Two friends have seen "I Am Legend" and come away with mixed reviews. They loved the premise and the first hour or so of the movie. After that, it degenerates into a splatter movie with non-believable (and non-scary) computer generated bats and zombies. Like there are not enough bad zombie movies out there.

darin
12-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I REALLY thought I had replied here with a review. :(

I'll add my thoughts later - generally it was a good movie.

Here's my summary of the movie - If you want to see a good action movie with great acting - the way Will Smith conveys emotion on-screen is fantastic - with decent CGI (Great cityscapes, not-great, but not-bad Villains), but can ignore gaping plot-holes, and a 'softball' ending, I am Legend is worth seeing.

82Marine89
12-21-2007, 01:03 AM
FWIW..

Robert Neville is a brilliant scientist, but even he could not contain the terrible virus that was unstoppable, incurable, and man-made. Somehow immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City and maybe the world. For three years, Neville has faithfully sent out daily radio messages, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. But he is not alone. Mutant victims of the plague -- The Infected -- lurk in the shadows... watching Neville's every move... waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Perhaps mankind's last, best hope, Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus using his own immune blood. But he knows he is outnumbered... and quickly running out of time. He called up his mom, his mom got scared. She said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air."

:cool:

dan
12-21-2007, 09:39 AM
One, I think Will Smith is among the greatest actors of our generation.

WOW, really?! I mean, he's okay and all, but I can't say I've seen him in anything that blew me away, acting-wise. He's got charisma and all, but I wouldn't put him up there with a De Nero or a Pacino.

To be fair, the last Will Smith movie I saw was Bad Boys II.:laugh2: