PDA

View Full Version : Hey MB!

Mr. P
01-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Liquid smoke..Do you know of any sub for it?

I had someone tell me they picked-up a tip at CIA that strong coffee was one.

Ever hear that?

I think smoked bacon or ham would do..may have to skim a bit of grease, but still..Coffee?

MtnBiker
01-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Never hear of using coffee, I would think it would give it more of a coffee flavor rather than a smoked flavor. Both bacon and ham are smoked, so yes rendering of some of the fat and then cooking with it may impart some smoke.

By the way, what are trying to add smoke flavor to? There may be some other methods we could use.

Mr. P
01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Never hear of using coffee, I would think it would give it more of a coffee flavor rather than a smoked flavor. Both bacon and ham are smoked, so yes rendering of some of the fat and then cooking with it may impart some smoke.

By the way, what are trying to add smoke flavor to? There may be some other methods we could use.

It's some guys BBQ sauce recipe. Includes a small amount of liquid smoke. Someone didn't have it an never saw it in store..that's how it got started.

MtnBiker
01-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Do you mean you have never seen liquid smoke in the store? It should be available.

I rarely use liquid smoke. I would rather smoke the item with actual smoke from wood chips. At times to just add a smoke flavor and not cook by smoking I will pan smoke. Using a 2 pans, one solid and one perforated. Place the wood chips on the solid pan, then the perforated pan on top, place the item in the perforated pan (such as a pork loin) then cover with foil. Put on top of range at medium heat until you smell smoke, then remove from heat. (make sure the exhuast fan is on).

Solid pan
http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/74/70/b3_1_sbl.JPG

Perforated pan(s)http://www.blueribbon.co.nz/uploaded/listing/1125719505.jpg

This will not cook the item just add a smoke flavor to it. Also make sure the item is dry as possible for the smoke to adhear better.

Mr. P
01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
:lmao: No it wasn't me. I have some but rarely use it either.

pegwinn
01-10-2007, 12:24 AM
I put a tinfoil pan under a brisket and catch the drippings as I smoke it slowly.

Since I also use a steam pan in the back of the grill I can catch about a cup of concentrated liquid. I would assume it will have a smoky flavor but I've never tried it.

Probably didn't help huh?

I'm new and it's late. C'yall tomorrow.

BTW y'all somehow look familiar ....... :wink2:

MtnBiker
01-10-2007, 12:56 AM
I put a tinfoil pan under a brisket and catch the drippings as I smoke it slowly.

Since I also use a steam pan in the back of the grill I can catch about a cup of concentrated liquid. I would assume it will have a smoky flavor but I've never tried it.

Probably didn't help huh?

I'm new and it's late. C'yall tomorrow.

BTW y'all somehow look familiar ....... :wink2:

That would make some wonderful rendered smokey brisket fat!!

Great to see you Pegwinn

OCA
01-10-2007, 07:54 AM
It's some guys BBQ sauce recipe. Includes a small amount of liquid smoke. Someone didn't have it an never saw it in store..that's how it got started.

Liquid smoke would be found in the store section with all the hot sauces, bbq sauces and marinades.

There really is no substitute for it, the other methods you guys were talking about will get you close but include the flavors of what you were extracting from.

Pale Rider
01-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Which reminds me, for some reason, the propane bottle on my grill is empty... :cool: