PDA

View Full Version : Comedians That Are NOT Funny...

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 01:24 AM
The biggest loser that calls himself a comedian is...

#1) Vince Vaughn

#2) Bill Burray

#3) Will Ferrell

#4) Jack Black

#5) ???

All morons, and so not funny, any of them.

dan
12-18-2007, 06:28 AM
1) Dane Cook

2) Robin Williams

3) Eddie Murphy (nowadays)

Said1
12-18-2007, 08:10 AM
1) Dane Cook

2) Robin Williams

3) Eddie Murphy (nowadays)

I disagree about Robin Williams. I don't find his stand up or movies overly funny, but he's good on the spur of the moment. Same with Will Farrell, IMHO. I just watched Block Party......'hit me!" :laugh2:

dan
12-18-2007, 10:10 AM
I disagree about Robin Williams. I don't find his stand up or movies overly funny, but he's good on the spur of the moment. Same with Will Farrell, IMHO. I just watched Block Party......'hit me!" :laugh2:

I don't know what Block Party is. Is that the Dave Chappelle thing?

And, yeah, I gotta totally disagree on Robin Williams, he's good at seeming spur-of-the-moment, but if you see more than a few of his standup bits or talk show appearances, you realize that this is the majority of his act:

1) effeminate gay voice

2) black preacher

3) black thug

4) Elmer Fudd

hjmick
12-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Bill Maher.

jackass
12-18-2007, 10:38 AM
I agree with Jack Black. I dont really consider them as comedians, just actors trying to be funny. I find VV to be a funny guy in that state the obvious way and WF to be slap stick funny.

dan
12-18-2007, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't consider anybody in the OP to be comedians, in the traditional sense. However, I think they're all funny actors, and I'm stunned at Bill Murray! He's basically the only comedic actor from his time to still have a thriving career!

Hagbard Celine
12-18-2007, 11:18 AM

#1) Vince Vaughn

#2) Bill Burray

#3) Will Ferrell

#4) Jack Black

#5) ???

Will Ferrell, Bill Murray and Jack Black are all funny. Watch "The Pick of Destiny" and tell me Jack Black isn't funny. Watch the best of Will Ferrell from SNL and tell me he isn't funny. Bill Murray's hilarious. Ghost Busters, The Life Aquatic, the Royal Tenenbaums, What About Bob--all funny. Dane Cook isn't funny anymore now that he's been exposed as stealing material from other comedians.

hjmick
12-18-2007, 11:37 AM

#1) Vince Vaughn

#2) Bill Burray

#3) Will Ferrell

#4) Jack Black

#5) ???

The problem I have with this list. none of your choices are really known for being comedians perse. They are know as comic actors, for me there is a difference. When I think comedian, I think of someone known for having, or having had, a stand-up routine at some point in their career. Bill Murray and Will Ferrell might qualify, but if they ever had a stand-up career, it was short lived.

dan
12-18-2007, 01:17 PM
The problem I have with this list. none of your choices are really known for being comedians perse. They are know as comic actors, for me there is a difference. When I think comedian, I think of someone known for having, or having had, a stand-up routine at some point in their career. Bill Murray and Will Ferrell might qualify, but if they ever had a stand-up career, it was short lived.

A long, long, long time ago, I saw Will Ferrell do standup on TV (this was back in the late 80's/early 90's when standup comedy was everywhere thanks to people like Dice and Seinfeld). Yeah, not too good. I remember he had one good bit about how he's not good at spelling his name, like at the airport or something "W as in wilco, i as in igloo, etc...." The funniest part I remember is "P as in..... pneumonia?"

12-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Owen Wilson

manu1959
12-18-2007, 01:47 PM
joan rivers

Hagbard Celine
12-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Jeff Foxworthy.

Abbey Marie
12-18-2007, 03:20 PM
1. Jim Carrey
2. Jim Carrey
3. Jim Carrey
4. Jack Black

Hagbard Celine
12-18-2007, 03:40 PM
1. Jim Carrey
2. Jim Carrey
3. Jim Carrey
4. Jack Black

Jim Carey gives me a headache. But I like Jack Black. I'm a fan of Tenacious D.

MtnBiker
12-18-2007, 03:42 PM
1) Dane Cook

2) Robin Williams

Very true!!

Dane Cook is the poster child for BORING!!!!

dan
12-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Very true!!

Dane Cook is the poster child for BORING!!!!

His shows confuse me, there's not even any jokes! "Remember The Price is Right?" [audience laughs and cheers wildly]

manu1959
12-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Jeff Foxworthy.

agree.....however ron white is funny

Hagbard Celine
12-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Steve Harvey
Cedric the Entertainer

Not funny. Not the kings of anything.

I don't know why all ya'll are hating on Robin Williams. He may be annoying in movies, but his stand-up is hilarious.

Adam Corolla isn't funny.

manu1959
12-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Steve Harvey
Cedric the Entertainer

I don't know why all ya'll are hating on Robin Williams. He may be annoying in movies, but his stand-up is hilarious.

for those of us that have watched robin williams for the past 20 years.....he is still doing the same jokes....

Abbey Marie
12-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Steve Harvey
Cedric the Entertainer

I agree about Robin. I haven't seen anyone think on his feet faster or funnier, as evidenced by his visits with Leno or Letterman.

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Sorry you people don't like my list. But I don't think there's anything funny about those people. When an actor acts, I like it to come natural, or at least show some emotion. Those on my list are just joe schmoes going through the motions. Their acting is forced, unnatural, pressed, artificial, phony. "I" could act that well. The last "comedic actors," as they were referred to here, that made me belly laugh were the likes of "The Three Stooges," and "Laural and Hardy," "Red Skelton," "Jerry Lewis," etc.. These SNL pukes are all so NOT funny. Dan Akroyd, he wasn't bad. John Belushi, Chris Farley. Those guys were funny. Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Vince Vaughn, Bill Murray... a bunch of morons I can't stand watching.

manu1959
12-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Sorry you people don't like my list. But I don't think there's anything funny about those people. When an actor acts, I like it to come natural, or at least show some emotion. Those on my list are just joe schmoes going through the motions. Their acting is forced, unnatural, pressed, artificial, phony. "I" could act that well. The last "comedic actors," as they were referred to here, that made me belly laugh were the likes of "The Three Stooges," and "Laural and Hardy," "Red Skelton," "Jerry Lewis," etc.. These SNL pukes are all so NOT funny. Dan Akroyd, he wasn't bad. John Belushi, Chris Farley. Those guys were funny. Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Vince Vaughn, Bill Murray... a bunch of morons I can't stand watching.

come on bill murry in caddy shack and stripes is funny.....

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Bill Maher.

This MF'r turns my stomach.

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to hjmick again.

manu1959
12-18-2007, 05:06 PM
This MF'r turns my stomach.

hate bill maher......dennis miller is funny though....

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 05:06 PM
come on bill murry in caddy shack and stripes is funny.....

Nothing could have been more stupid than the stupid way he talked with his mouth all bent. It's just dumb to the point of being insulting. Nothing in that movie made me laugh.

Stripes was better. At least it was intertaining.

manu1959
12-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Nothing could have been more stupid than the stupid way he talked with his mouth all bent. It's just dumb to the point of being insulting. Nothing in that movie made me laugh.

i love stupid movies....every see tommy boy?....how about the three stooges....now those guys were funny....

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 05:08 PM
hate bill maher......dennis miller is funny though....

Miller cracks me up. He's got a very unique style and a quick wit.

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 05:08 PM
i love stupid movies....every see tommy boy?....how about the three stooges....now those guys were funny....

I just got through pointing out Chris Farley and the Three Stooges... :slap:

manu1959
12-18-2007, 05:15 PM
I just got through pointing out Chris Farley and the Three Stooges... :slap:

well fuck me for not paying attention....:laugh2:

hjmick
12-18-2007, 05:17 PM

It's not that I don't like your list, I guess I just differentiate between comedians who act and comedic actors. I certainly understand where you might not find the actors you listed funny though.

Vince Vaughn, I don't mind his work, but his characters are pretty much all the same and everyone of them makes me squirm.

Will Ferrell, I have no real affinity for Ferrell. SNL after the original cast blows.

Bill Murray has taken his career in a new direction, I call it dramedy. This may be a factor that contributes to the perception that he's not funny. Me, I kinda of like the subtle comedic tones his work has taken on. Steve Martin has done the same thing in his career.

Jack Black. Well, not much to say there. His comedic work can best be described as sophomoric. But sometimes I like that. The first time I ever heard of him was his Tenacious D album. I like that album, the satire appeals to me.

Overall I'd say that there is truly a dearth of really good comedic actors these days.

Hagbard Celine
12-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Miller cracks me up. He's got a very unique style and a quick wit.

Whatever. Miller isn't funny. He caters to the lowest common denominator, not to mention his jokes aren't funny.

manu1959
12-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Whatever. Miller isn't funny. He caters to the lowest common denominator, not to mention his jokes aren't funny.

you don't get his jokes do you...........

Hagbard Celine
12-18-2007, 05:30 PM
you don't get his jokes do you...........

A mentally-retarded lizard could "get his jokes." Gimme a break, please. He's completely unfunny. I tried to watch his last HBO special and ended up feeling something close to nausea.

manu1959
12-18-2007, 05:38 PM
A mentally-retarded lizard could "get his jokes." Gimme a break, please. He's completely unfunny. I tried to watch his last HBO special and ended up feeling something close to nausea.

how about bill maher?

Hagbard Celine
12-18-2007, 05:42 PM
how about bill maher?

I like Maher.

If Miller was as funny and witty as Maher I'd like him too, but he just isn't funny anymore.

manu1959
12-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I like Maher.

If Miller was as funny and witty as Maher I'd like him too, but he just isn't funny anymore.

yea it could be because of the various political bent of the two....

gabosaurus
12-18-2007, 05:45 PM
The funniest people to ever walk the earth are (in order):

Bill Hicks
Sam Kinison
Richard Pryor
Don Rickles

Alleged "comedians" who should never be allowed to speak again:

Roseanne Barr
Dane Cook
Andrew Dice Clay
That "Cable Guy" person

Hagbard Celine
12-18-2007, 05:47 PM
yea it could be because of the various political bent of the two....

Sorry but I don't find apologizing for this administration or the war it started funny. :dunno:

Said1
12-18-2007, 06:41 PM
I liked Bill Cosby when I was a kid. I think there's something about him that appeals to children, for some reason. I always enjoyed watching his interactions with the younger children on the Cosby Show, there was something very natural about it. Even when his stand up isn't funny, he always seems as though he really enjoys what he's doing. I liked that about Drew Cary as well. How can you not like a person who laughs at their own jokes? It's like watching a little kid tell a joke. :laugh2:

Said1
12-18-2007, 06:43 PM

Bill Hicks
Sam Kinison
Richard Pryor
Don Rickles

Don RIckles. :laugh2:

Speaking of Dons, I loved Don Knots in Andy of Mayberry. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
12-18-2007, 06:59 PM
My dad has a collection of "Tonight Show" tapes where Rickles was on. He is the original "non-PC" comedian. There is also an outtake of Rickles and Slappy White that was deemed "too controversial" to air. They were making racial jokes, then ended up hugging each other. The censors did not mind the race jokes. But they disapproved of Rickles hugging Slappy White.

dan
12-18-2007, 07:11 PM

Bill Hicks
Sam Kinison
Richard Pryor
Don Rickles

Roseanne Barr
Dane Cook
Andrew Dice Clay
That "Cable Guy" person

You had me all the way to the Diceman. He cracks me up.

Bill Hicks is an amazing performer, but most of his stuff doesn't really make me laugh out loud or anything. I'd consider him more performance art than stand-up.

I don't like Dennis Miller or Bill Maher, but I definitely dislike Maher way more. Just looking at him kind of makes me want to kick him in the face. He's the walking definition of 'smarmy'.

dan
12-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Vince Vaughn, I don't mind his work, but his characters are pretty much all the same and everyone of them makes me squirm.

He was good in a serious role in Into the Wild. But, even at a serious role, he was still playing "Vince Vaughn", y'know?

Will Ferrell, I have no real affinity for Ferrell. SNL after the original cast blows.

LOVE Will Ferrell. Even if he does nothing funny for the rest of his life, Anchorman is easily in the top three funniest movies of the '00s.

Bill Murray has taken his career in a new direction, I call it dramedy. This may be a factor that contributes to the perception that he's not funny. Me, I kinda of like the subtle comedic tones his work has taken on. Steve Martin has done the same thing in his career.

Yeah, he's maturing as an actor nicely. We all know how I feel about Lost in Translation, so I'll add that he's got a great scene in Coffee and Cigarettes with a member of the Wu-Tang Clan.

Jack Black. Well, not much to say there. His comedic work can best be described as sophomoric. But sometimes I like that. The first time I ever heard of him was his Tenacious D album. I like that album, the satire appeals to me.

I like him, but again, definitely plays "Jack Black" in every movie (except King Kong, and I don't think he was too good in that). High Fidelity is probably still his greatest role.

hjmick
12-18-2007, 07:19 PM
My dad has a collection of "Tonight Show" tapes where Rickles was on. He is the original "non-PC" comedian. There is also an outtake of Rickles and Slappy White that was deemed "too controversial" to air. They were making racial jokes, then ended up hugging each other. The censors did not mind the race jokes. But they disapproved of Rickles hugging Slappy White.

HBO recently aired a documentary on Rickles, very much worth the time to sit and watch.

dan
12-18-2007, 07:33 PM
HBO recently aired a documentary on Rickles, very much worth the time to sit and watch.

It was very interesting. It's amazing, when you think about how long he's been around, how much he's seen over the years.

Another great one we lost recently was Rodney Dangerfield. I might argue that he was one of the best comedians ever.

For the money, my favorite comedians who are working today:
Dave Attell
Louis CK
Jim Norton
Zach Galafanakis
Patton Oswalt
Eugene Mirman

jackass
12-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Jim Norton

What is it with your family and this guy?? You an Jim both have man crushes on this guy?

hjmick
12-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Jim Norton

Did you catch his last HBO show? Even my wife laughed.

Dave Attell

Again, his recent HBO show was funny. I do miss Insomniac.

dan
12-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Did you catch his last HBO show? Even my wife laughed.

Again, his recent HBO show was funny. I do miss Insomniac.

I never did see Norton's special, but I did see Attell's, which yeah, it was great. I never watched much of Insomniac when it was on (I was 18, 19 years old, my life was basically a long episode of Insomniac!), but I need to rewatch it, because I do like his comedy a lot.

What is it with your family and this guy?? You an Jim both have man crushes on this guy?

Who do you think got me into him, dummy? I only knew him from Opie & Anthony (which, by the way, I think Jim first told me about as well) and didn't think he was anything great, but Jim kept talking about him, and when I finally checked his stand-up out for myself, I really dug it.

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 10:07 PM
well fuck me for not paying attention....:laugh2:

You being at work may actually be distracting...

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 10:12 PM

I think Miller is funny, you don't = I'm a conservative.

You think Maher is funny, I don't = You're a liberal.

Makes sense.

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 10:21 PM

Bill Hicks
Sam Kinison
Richard Pryor
Don Rickles

Roseanne Barr
Dane Cook
Andrew Dice Clay
That "Cable Guy" person

Interesting list. You don't think Roseanne Barr should ever be allowed to speak again. I almost pos repped you for that, but I think you owe me one.

And "The Dice." He's funny in the movie "One Night At McCool's," when he bursts into the house and says, "which one of you HOMOS killed my brother?" If you watch the movie you'll see why that line is so hilarious. The whole movie is hilarious. Now THAT'S comedy. (You Live Tyler fans will LOVE this movie.) Even Matt Dillion pulls it off. He cracks me up from the very beginning with his expressions while he's talking to Michael Douglas in the Bingo Hall.

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 10:30 PM

I loved Johnny Carson. He was the last of the greats for late night talk show hosts. Leno doesn't hold a candle to Johnny. I watched the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson as often as I possibly could, and even saw his last show the day it was aired. What a tear jerker. I don't think there was EVER a night Johnny was on that I didn't crack up at something.

Don Rickles... he never really made me laugh. His "angry insult" routine usually left me feeling more like I'd like to slap him than laugh at him.

Pale Rider
12-18-2007, 10:38 PM
It was very interesting. It's amazing, when you think about how long he's been around, how much he's seen over the years.

Another great one we lost recently was Rodney Dangerfield. I might argue that he was one of the best comedians ever.

For the money, my favorite comedians who are working today:
Dave Attell
Louis CK
Jim Norton
Zach Galafanakis
Patton Oswalt
Eugene Mirman

Oh yeah... Rodney Dangerfield. He's up by the top of my favorite comedians.