PDA

View Full Version : Couric Can’t Believe A-Rod’s Worth $28 Million

red states rule
12-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Perky Katie is all upset over the contract Alex Rodriguez signed. I would like Alex to comment about the money she earns - while being in last place in the evening news ratings

Katie Couric, the "CBS Evening News" anchor who is paid $15 million a year for sinking ratings, can't seem to grasp the concept of free markets in sports.

In an interview with New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez, Couric questioned his new record-setting contract. The deal includes $275 million over 10 years and another $30 million in incentives, according to ESPN.

"Your new contract is worth $300 million-plus," Couric told Rodriquez, asking, "Are you worth it? Is any player worth that kind of salary?"

A-Rod could have pointed out that Major League Baseball works like any other market - players' services are priced according to what the market will pay for their skills and experience. Someone in the Yankees organization felt $275 million over 10 years was a fair price to pay for Rodriguez.

Rodriguez could have pointed out that he's a two-time Gold Glove winner, a two-time Silver Slugger winner, and a three-time American League Most Valuable Player. He could have mentioned that last season he led the American League in runs, home runs and runs batted in - 143, 54 and 156 respectively.

Or he could have turned the question around on Couric by asking, "Well Katie, you're paid $15 million a year and have seen steady declines in your ratings on the ‘Evening News,' with some weeks reaching record lows. Are you worth it?"

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nathan-burchfiel/2007/12/17/couric-can-t-believe-rod-s-worth-28-million

5stringJeff
12-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Someone should ask Katie Couric if she's worth the $15 million she gets for last-place evening news rankings.

gabosaurus
12-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Athletes are paid market value. I don't agree with it. Then again, I don't agree with the salaries of many celebs and corporate executives.

Yurt
12-18-2007, 11:16 PM
no wonder she is in last place?

red states rule
12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
no wonder she is in last place?

Here is another possible reason:

Couric: Right-Wing Climate Breeds Violence?
"Let’s talk a little bit more about the right wing because I know that’s something you feel very strongly about. But this is actually not necessarily about the right wing, but perhaps a climate that some say has been established by religious zealots or Christian conservatives. There have been two recent incidents in the news I think that upset most people in this country, that is the dragging death of James Byrd Junior and the beating death of Matthew Shepard. I just would like you to reflect on whether you feel people in this country are increasingly intolerant, mean-spirited, etcetera, and what, if anything, can be done about that because a lot of people get very discouraged when they hear and see this kind of brutality taking place."
-- Katie Couric to former Texas Governor Ann Richards as she hosted a 92nd Street Y appearance in New York City on March 3 shown by C-SPAN April 3, 1999.