PDA

View Full Version : Greatest classic TV show?

gabosaurus
12-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Being only 22 and not a TV watcher, I am not qualified to make a choice. But I am sure plenty of you have one.
My mom and dad both believe it is "All In The Family." I've never seen it.

I do remember being entranced by Sesame Street. Big Bird and Cookie Monster were awesome. :)

hjmick
12-18-2007, 07:05 PM
All In The Family was damn good, however, it would never make past the suits at networks these days. We'd probably be watching it on FX.

manu1959
12-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Being only 22 and not a TV watcher, I am not qualified to make a choice. But I am sure plenty of you have one.

I do remember being entranced by Sesame Street. Big Bird and Cookie Monster were awesome. :)

marlin perkins wild kingdom
the honneymooners
abc wide world of sports
sundy night walt disney show
laugh in
ed sullivan
munsters
adams family
peticoat junction
green acres
beverly hillbillies
mr ed
my favourite martian
my three sons
get smart
i spy
man from uncle
the avengers
combat
rat patrol

i could go on and on.....

MtnBiker
12-18-2007, 07:07 PM
M*A*S*H* was pretty cool.

Said1
12-18-2007, 07:09 PM
All In The Family was damn good, however, it would never make past the suits at networks these days. We'd probably be watching it on FX.

"All in the Family" is up there. I was big on Detective programs and dramas. Dallas, Columbo and Rockford files are two that I still watch today.
Cheers and Family Ties were two I rarely missed and the Jeffersons. :laugh2:

Speaking of old sitcoms, I was watching 'Good Times' the other day. Man, I just wanted to slap JJ and Thelma. SHUT-UP! :laugh2:

Said1
12-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Oh, and the Honeymooners.

manu1959
12-18-2007, 07:15 PM
M*A*S*H* was pretty cool.

brilliant show.....damn how did i forget that in my list....great movie as well....

dan
12-18-2007, 07:39 PM
All classic TV discussions should begin and end with one show:

Sanford and Son

Yurt
12-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Bewitched

I had a crush on samantha

oh and I dream of Jeanie....ah, the good ol days

shattered
12-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Bewitched

I had a crush on samantha

oh and I dream of Jeanie....ah, the good ol days

You just want some chick that can wiggle her nose, and have food magically appear on the table.

Mr. P
12-20-2007, 10:49 PM
You just want some chick that can wiggle her nose, and have food magically appear on the table.

Reminds me of "the beaver"! "Leave it to Beaver" that is. :laugh2:

Kathianne
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Mod Squad and Dark Shadows. (Yeah, I know the later was a soap, but great!)

hjmick
12-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Mod Squad and Dark Shadows. (Yeah, I know the later was a soap, but great!)

I watched Dark Shadows. A vampire soap opera. What kid didn't watch it?

Kathianne
12-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I watched Dark Shadows. A vampire soap opera. What kid didn't watch it?

For awhile I got away with being sent home a few afternoons a week, as my school nurse had a theory that a 'low temp' i.e. 98.1 or so, was indicative of the onset of an infection. My temp is always around 97.8, so it worked like a charm, til my mom noticed I kept going to the nurse around 2 to catch the program at 3. School let out at 3:15 and I had to walk home, unless I was sick. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
12-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Some teachers at the school where my mom works added the following shows. Sort of the favorites of an informal poll:

Green Acres
Petticoat Junction
Gilligan's Island
Dragnet
Hogan's Heroes
Three's Company

Hagbard Celine
12-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Mr. Ed.

trobinett
12-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Sky King..........:dance:

red states rule
12-25-2007, 10:39 AM
marlin perkins wild kingdom
the honneymooners
abc wide world of sports
sundy night walt disney show
laugh in
ed sullivan
munsters
adams family
peticoat junction
green acres
beverly hillbillies
mr ed
my favourite martian
my three sons
get smart
i spy
man from uncle
the avengers
combat
rat patrol

i could go on and on.....

also Mission Impossible, Wild Wild West, and Dragnet

Gunny
12-31-2007, 04:28 AM

So?:)

Sitarro
12-31-2007, 04:37 AM
also Mission Impossible, Wild Wild West, and Dragnet

It was truly sacrilegious what they did to Wild Wild West with that awful movie. Will Smith as James T. West?????!!!!!!

Sitarro
12-31-2007, 04:50 AM
Sky King..........:dance:

One of my favorites as a kid. You want to see something amazing.... go to this site and you can watch 64 episodes!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.americanflyers.net/entertainment/images/skykingandpenny.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.americanflyers.net/entertainment/skyking.asp&h=237&w=275&sz=18&hl=en&start=15&um=1&tbnid=yFvMiJRvhy8WkM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsky%2Bking%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl %3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

I had a huge crush on Penny and the Cessna 310.

Abbey Marie
12-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Get Smart was pretty funny, being a Mel Brooks show and all.

Classact
12-31-2007, 02:42 PM
I always took a whipping to stay home from church on Sunday nights to watch Bonanza.

The Rifleman

Alfred Hitchcock and all scary shows on late Saturday night in the late 50's and early 60's

Soupy Sales... He would get kicked off the air for adult jokes all the time, you had to be an adult to "get it" but the TV police were after his ass.

Trigg
12-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Anyone mention

Mama's Family???

Gaffer
12-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Nobody mentioned the Twilight Zone.

There was also Boris Karloff's Thriller.

For the music buffs there was Shindig and Hullaballo.

There was also I Love Lucy and Ozzie and Harriet (The question of the day was always "What does Ozzie do for a living?") Splain Lucy!

The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Laugh In.

The Smothers Brothers Half Hour Comedy Hour.

The Andy Williams Show, Officer Dave was hilarious.

Jackie Gleason Show. It was where the Honeymooners was first shown as a weekly skit that developed into a sitcom.

Milton Beryl, his show was usually on too late for me to watch.

Every city had its own Shock Theater on Saturday night with different hosts for the area. We watched all the old horror flicks.

Sitarro
12-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Branded........ Chuck Connors after The Rifleman....... he got a raw deal.

Go to this sight if you remember it and you'll get to here the theme song.

http://members.tripod.com/~northfork/branded.html

Pale Rider
01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Some teachers at the school where my mom works added the following shows. Sort of the favorites of an informal poll:

Green Acres
Petticoat Junction
Gilligan's Island
Dragnet
Hogan's Heroes
Three's Company

Aside from Dragnet, that's an outstanding list. The only one I'd add to that is "Married With Children." I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at anything else in my life.

As for a variety show, I'd have to say Ed Sullivan was the best. I remember watching live the night the Beatles were on for the first time, and Elvis Presley.

nevadamedic
01-07-2008, 01:15 PM

All In The Family is a classic TV show, and one of my favorites. It is extremly funny, I have all the seasons on DVD. It is on TV Land everynight. You should watch an episode or two, you will laugh your ass of. You have to remember while watching it that the way they talk about things or it's humor was not normal back then like it is now. If you watch it you will agree it is a classic. Do you know who Rob Reiner is? You know Stephen King's business partner in Castle Rock entertainment and a movie star and award winning Priducer and Director? He was responsible for movies such as A Few Good Men, Misery, Rumor Has It, The American President, When Harry Met Sally, The Princess Bride, EDTV, The Bucket List, Stand By Me, This Is Spinal Tap, Alex & Emma, Ghosts Of Mississippi, North and The Story Of Us. He also Produced a song on Guitar Hero 2(Tonight Im Gonna Rock You Tonight). He also has acted in a lot of movies like EDTV, Dickie Roberts Former Child Star, The Jerk, Throw Momma From The Train, First Wives Club, The Majestic, Primary Colors and many more. He got his start due to All In The Family and All In The Family made him(so to say).

Also Sanford and Son is another classic. It is by the same people that created All In The Family and the main character is played by Redd Foxx with Lawanda Page as a supporting character. That TV show is so funny you will pee yourself from laughing so hard. It is also on TV Land Nightly and you should check it out. Those two shows are the very definition of a classic. They were a culture shock and paved a way for the generation of TV shows that we have now.

Gunny
01-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Poor Matt Dillon. Gunsmoke was only the longest running television show in TV history and one of the best westerns.

JohnDoe
01-13-2008, 02:18 PM
M.a.s.h.

nevadamedic
01-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Poor Matt Dillon. Gunsmoke was only the longest running television show in TV history and one of the best westerns.

What about Bonanza?

Gunny
01-13-2008, 02:21 PM
What about Bonanza?

Bonanza was mentioned. I pointed out Gunsmoke because I didn't see it mentioned.