PDA

View Full Version : Dems Cut and Run From Surrender Date Again

red states rule
12-19-2007, 05:40 AM
The Reid/Pelosi Congress surrendered to Pres Bush and did not inlclude their surrender date in the war funding bill

By a 70 - 25 vote, Congress provided $70 billion for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan

Bur Dems did get their pork added to the bill - despite their promises to cut the pork

Senate Approves $70 Billion War Funding for Iraq, Afghanistan
Wednesday, December 19, 2007

WASHINGTON — The Senate voted Tuesday to provide $70 billion for U.S. military efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan, handing a victory to President Bush and his GOP allies on Capitol Hill.

The 70-25 roll call paved the way for the Senate to pass a $555 billion omnibus appropriations bill combining the war funding with the budgets for 14 Cabinet agencies.

Bush was ready to sign the bill, assuming the war funding clears the House on Wednesday. Democrats again failed to win votes to force removal of U.S. troops or set a nonbinding target to remove most troops by the end of next year.

"Even those of us who have disagreed on this war have always agreed on one thing: Troops in the field will not be left without the resources they need," said Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

The year-end budget deal between the Democratic-controlled Congress and Bush ended months of battling and disappointed GOP purists who complained the bill spends too much money and contains about 9,000 pet projects sought by members of Congress.

"Congress refuses to rein in its wasteful spending or curb its corruption," said Rep. John Shadegg, R-Ariz. Conservatives estimated the measure contained at least $28 billion in domestic spending above Bush's budget, funded by a combination of "emergency" spending, transfers from the defense budget, budget gimmicks and phantom savings.

With Bush winning the $70 billion infusion of troop funding, other Republicans muted their criticism.

"I do think the president has a victory here," said House Minority Whip Roy Blunt, R-Mo. But the win was hardly clear-cut for Republicans hoping the president would emerge from the monthslong battle with Democrats over the budget with a result that would more clearly demonstrate to core GOP voters the party's commitment to fiscal discipline.

While disappointed by ceding Iraq funding to Bush, Democrats hailed the pending appropriations bill for smoothing the rough edges of Bush's February budget plan, which sought below-inflation increases for most domestic programs and contained numerous cutbacks and program eliminations.

for the complete article

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317399,00.html

Classact
12-19-2007, 07:52 AM
I watched CSPAN2 almost all day yesterday and watched the Dem's squirm... I wish the Repubs had forced themspelling to do the FISA bill before voting on the omnibus bill...

When the omnibus bill goes to the House today the Dem's are relying on the Repubs to vote for the war funding... if I were the republican leader in the House I would tell all repubs to vote NO on the war funding so the Dems would be forced to vote yes to keep the omnibus alive... after all the Dems voted Yes on war funding then the Repubs could change their votes to yes... I would love to see the Dem's ringing their hands.

Going to be fun watching the Dems shooting themselves in the foot today with the AMT vote they will take.

red states rule
12-19-2007, 07:55 AM
I watched CSPAN2 almost all day yesterday and watched the Dem's squirm... I wish the Repubs had forced then to do the FISA bill before voting on the omnibus bill...

When the omnibus bill goes to the House today the Dem's are relying on the Repubs to vote for the war funding... if I were the republican leader in the House I would tell all repubs to vote NO on the war funding so the Dems would be forced to vote yes to keep the omnibus alive... after all the Dems voted Yes on war funding then the Repubs could change their votes to yes... I would love to see the Dem's ringing their hands.

Going to be fun watching the Dems shooting themselves in the foot today with the AMT vote they will take.

Dems have caved some many times and on so many issues. They played their base for suckers in 06 and it is comical to watch some libs actually defend the Dems

It is not the Dems fault they stepped in multiple piles of shit - no - it is the evil republicans fault

Classact
12-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Dems have caved some many times and on so many issues. They played their base for suckers in 06 and it is comical to watch some libs actually defend the Dems

It is not the Dems fault they stepped in multiple piles of shit - no - it is the evil republicans faultCheck out this link http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1207/7443.html
Liberals lose bigtime in budget battle

By: Martin Kady II and Ryan Grim
Dec 17, 2007 07:34 PM EST

This much is clear: Democrats in Congress buckled under pressure from the White House to hold spending near the administration’s specified limit, and they’re poised to give the president more war money with no strings attached.

But the buckling didn’t stop there.

darin
12-19-2007, 10:17 AM
If the budget isn't approved, I'll get a few days off in February! :)

Kathianne
12-19-2007, 10:29 AM

OMG! That avatar!

red states rule
12-21-2007, 04:13 AM

Looks like the Dems caved to pres Bush, and you will be working!

actsnoblemartin
12-26-2007, 12:18 AM
surrender bingo, aghanistan, china, north korea, iraq

bingo!

:laugh2:

Looks like the Dems caved to pres Bush, and you will be working!

red states rule
12-26-2007, 07:28 AM
surrender bingo, aghanistan, china, north korea, iraq

bingo!

:laugh2:

If Dems will not stand up to Pres Bush on what they believe in, how the hell will they stand up to the terrorists?

They are even scared of Fox News :lol:

DrJohn
12-26-2007, 08:31 AM
The Dems aren't the only ones that like their pork:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22342743/

red states rule
12-26-2007, 08:33 AM
The Dems aren't the only ones that like their pork:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22342743/

I agree. But Dems promised they would cut the pork - but it is going up

Dems have about 65% of the pork so far - and keep the books open

DrJohn
12-26-2007, 08:36 AM
I agree. But Dems promised they would cut the pork - but it is going up

Dems have about 65% of the pork so far - and keep the books open

You're right. The dems will keep piling it on but I find it interesting that Bush only talks about their spending and doesn't address his own party's project.
Just because the repubs have less, doesn't mean that their pork is OK.

red states rule
12-26-2007, 08:56 AM
You're right. The dems will keep piling it on but I find it interesting that Bush only talks about their spending and doesn't address his own party's project.

and yet Dems say we need to fork over more of our money in higher taxes to reduce the deficit

DrJohn
12-26-2007, 08:57 AM

and yet Dems say we need to fork over more of our money in higher taxes to reduce the deficit

Is there another way to cut the deficit?
I certainly hope so.

red states rule
12-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Is there another way to cut the deficit?
I certainly hope so.

sure

cut the pork and we would be damn close to a balanced budget