PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Compass

Hagbard Celine
12-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Was pretty awesome. Much better for us older kids than the Chronicles of Narnia movie in that Compass was geared more toward an older audience. I wouldn't take a small child to this movie because there is atleast one instance of gratuitous violence (the Panzerbjorne fight scene). I'd class this film more along the lines of the Harry Potter franchise due to the audience it's geared toward. There are some badass fight scenes, but character development was a little more sketchy than I would have liked for some of the characters. Overall an entertaining romp, though not the best film of the year by any means. I'd like to read the books to gain more insight into the story because they're definately going to make sequels to go along with the three-part book series.
(Possible spoilers) Ms. Coulter (the villain) played by Nicole Kidman was a fairly well-developed character. She has delicious lips...anyway, you really hate her by the end of the movie. Lyra, the main character, was also very well developed by the young actress who played her--I don't know her name and I'm too lazy to look it up. I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of my favorite actors, Sam Elliot, is in this movie sporting his trademark epic mustache.
Go see it regardless of your affiliation with religion. There are a lot of religious overtones and parallels that can be drawn if you are so inclined, (I have a theory that "intercision" is a parallel to "circumcision" and that "dust" is "sin"--my girlfriend told me she thought that was bullsh*t. Tell me what you think if you see it--I think I'm onto something) Anyway, if you're really a Christian, your faith should be strong enough to withstand a children's movie.

5stringJeff
12-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Anyway, if you're really a Christian, your faith should be strong enough to withstand a children's movie.

Not to derail the entire thread, but the concern from Christians is not that adults will lose their faith, it's that kids (which is who the movies is aimed at) will incorporate the atheist/humanist morals of this movie into their belief systems.

Hagbard Celine
12-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Not to derail the entire thread, but the concern from Christians is not that adults will lose their faith, it's that kids (which is who the movies is aimed at) will incorporate the atheist/humanist morals of this movie into their belief systems.

So the concern is that children will form their view of the world based on more than one source? Gee. You know that does sound like something parents should avoid exposing their kids to. :rolleyes: Also, Phillip Pullman, the author of "His Dark Materials," is a self-described Agnostic, not an Atheist. His books are about recognizing and fighting against the dangers of dogmatism, not about converting people to Atheism.