PDA

View Full Version : Suing Telemarketers

5stringJeff
02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Now, I'm not for suing people, but apparently this guy has successfully sued four companies for failure to comply with the do not call lists.

Here's a snippet from the link (http://killthecalls.com/suing-telemarketers.html):
------------
The key is that the best venue for filing suit against a telmarketer is in your local Small Claims Court. For those who are unaware, you cannot have an attorney represent you and the party you are suing cannot have an attorney represent them. The telemarketer has to drag their darn butt into court and answer to the judge. The only fees you must pay are the filing fees (varies upon venue and amount, but generally is somewhere around $50) and the fee to perform service of process (anywhere from $10 to $100 depending upon whether or not you have the court serve the telemarketer via certified mail or you have a law enforcement officer or other process server handle such). When the potential gain is thousands of dollars, what is a hundred bucks?

I have personally filed four claims in Small Claims Court against telemarketers. I have been paid on three of them (the fourth was against SBC and they gave me such a runaround on the process serving - BUT they stopped calling) that I let that one slide.
------------