PDA

View Full Version : New York City to Open Arabic Public School

5stringJeff
02-14-2007, 12:13 PM
So now we're going to train militant Islamic youths in NYC!? :wtf:

----------
NEW YORK — The first New York City public school offering the Arabic language and culture is set to open in September.

Named after the Lebanese poet and philosopher, the Khalil Gibran International Academy for grades 6-12 will be located in Brooklyn and be one of 40 new schools that the Department of Education plans for the 2007-2008 school year.

All the new schools will be located in existing school buildings that are being closed for poor performance.

The academy will receive funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251883,00.html

jillian
02-14-2007, 12:15 PM
You know, I read about that yesterday. My big objection? There isn't a public school that teaches Jewish culture, or Russian Culture or Latin culture. No one is teaching half its classes in Hebrew. Seems absurd to me that this is deemed important enough to devote a school to....

It's ridiculous and, to be honest, it's annoying the heck out of me.

5stringJeff
02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
You know, I read about that yesterday. My big objection? There isn't a public school that teaches Jewish culture, or Russian Culture or Latin culture. No one is teaching half its classes in Hebrew. Seems absurd to me that this is deemed important enough to devote a school to....

It's ridiculous and, to be honest, it's annoying the heck out of me.

Nor should there be public schools that integreates such cultures into the entire school. Public schools ought to be integrating American culture.

jillian
02-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Nor should there be public schools that integreates such cultures into the entire school. Public schools ought to be integrating American culture.

I have no problem with children being taught about other cultures as an intellectual exercise. I do have a problem with them fostering any particular individual culture. I figure there's plenty of private schools for that.

I don't know if you'd call that integrating American culture.

5stringJeff
02-14-2007, 01:32 PM
I have no problem with children being taught about other cultures as an intellectual exercise. I do have a problem with them fostering any particular individual culture. I figure there's plenty of private schools for that.

I don't know if you'd call that integrating American culture.

Being taught about other cultures is one thing. But to integrate a particular foreign culture (such as Arabic) into the entire cirriculum is outside the mandate of public schools.

I think we are pretty much in agreement, although I would certainly welcome a more American-friendly version of history than what gets taught at some schools. I'd also welcome more civics classes.

Mr. P
02-14-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm not clear, is this a public school? If so why would it be 'funded' by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation?

trobinett
02-14-2007, 01:35 PM
So now we're going to train militant Islamic youths in NYC!? :wtf:

----------
NEW YORK — The first New York City public school offering the Arabic language and culture is set to open in September.

Named after the Lebanese poet and philosopher, the Khalil Gibran International Academy for grades 6-12 will be located in Brooklyn and be one of 40 new schools that the Department of Education plans for the 2007-2008 school year.

All the new schools will be located in existing school buildings that are being closed for poor performance.

The academy will receive funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251883,00.html

The GATES FOUNDATION is funding this abomination?

I'm beginning to think NY is going after the title currently held by SF, most liberal sink hole in the United States.:eek:

This will end up biting them on the ass.:blues:

manu1959
02-14-2007, 01:36 PM
at least they will all be in one place when we want to take them out....:flameth:

hey.....think the will let me open a christain school in Tehran?:poke:

5stringJeff
02-14-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm not clear, is this a public school? If so why would it be 'funded' by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation?

It is a public school. The Gates Foundation gives funding to "underfunded" public schools, among other things.

trobinett
02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
at least they will all be in one place when we want to take them out....:flameth:

hey.....think the will let me open a christain school in Tehran?:poke:

Hey, it could be money in the bank manu, check with the Gates Foundation.

I'll give you one minute, before I check.:boobies:

jillian
02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
The GATES FOUNDATION is funding this abomination?

I'm beginning to think NY is going after the title currently held by SF, most liberal sink hole in the United States.:eek:

This will end up biting them on the ass.:blues:

You mean, NY with it's republican mayor??

Mr. P
02-14-2007, 02:00 PM

I totally agree, look at what has happened in Europe. Same goes for every other school system in the USA. I heard the other day some kid can't ride the school bus any longer... because....are you READY?.............he can't speak spanish!:blowup:

Roopull
02-14-2007, 03:16 PM
If the government wasn't in the education industry, this wouldn't be an issue.

5stringJeff
02-14-2007, 03:21 PM
If the government wasn't in the education industry, this wouldn't be an issue.

You're right. I wouldn't have an issue if a bunch of Arabs decided to open a private school in which Arabic culture was taught.

Well, I'd have issues because I generally don't trust Arabs... but I wouldn't have the issue that my taxpayer dollars are paying for such a school.

trobinett
02-14-2007, 05:04 PM
You mean, NY with it's republican mayor??

Yea, thats the place.

Just as the President can't take all the credit, or all the blame, neither can the Mayor of NY.

:lmao: :lol:

Damn, I HATE that when THAT happens...............;)

jillian
02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Yea, thats the place.

Just as the President can't take all the credit, or all the blame, neither can the Mayor of NY.

:lmao: :lol:

Damn, I HATE that when THAT happens...............;)

Except in this particular case, you'd likely be wrong. Bloomberg made it clear that the schools were HIS by way of the chancellor, who's his guy, Joel Klein.

He engaged in a reorganization of the districts to make sure that he had greater control.

Well, he wanted the power, he gets the blame.

So there ya go. ;)

Gaffer
02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
what will they teach

1. Bombmaking 101

2. Hostage taking in suburban areas

3. Airline take over

4. Sniper school 1 and 2

5. Beheading 101

6. Suicide vest making

7. IED making and planting

8. Lying and denying 101, 102, 103