PDA

View Full Version : Early Social Experiences Can Influence Romantic Relationships

5stringJeff
02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Interesting.

-------------
Early Social Experiences Can Influence Adult Behavior In Romantic Relationships

Science Daily — The way in which individuals think, feel, and behave in their adult romantic relationships is governed not only by factors in their immediate surroundings, but is also a direct result of their past relationships and personal attachment extending all the way back to childhood, according to a study reported in the recent issue of Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, published by the American Psychological Association (APA). At the time of year when many reflect on their romantic experiences—Valentine’s Day, this study sheds light on how relationships are shaped by early experiences.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070212183543.htm

Roopull
02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm not going to follow your stupid link & read any dumb report!

Ah. Changed my mind.:p

Expression of emotions in adult romantic relationships can be related back to a person’s attachment experiences during earlier social development. Those participants who were secure and attached as infants were rated with higher social competence as children. Children who were socially competent amongst peers were found to be more secure and closer to their friends at age 16. Participants who were closer to friends as a teen were more expressive and emotionally attached to their romantic partners in early adulthood.

Backs up what I've always thought... if you want a stable relationship with your wife, make sure you find a wife who has parents that are still happily married. I did! My wife didn't.:dunno:

Actually, I've always had few friends, but were always very close to them. I've never been one for casual relationships, either, finding them unsatisfying. The article makes sense to me.

5stringJeff
02-14-2007, 03:29 PM
The article makes sense to me.

Me too.

Mr. P
02-14-2007, 03:30 PM
We are a product of our environment. Sure we can change some things, but for the most part the record is written and the hard drive is set early.