Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Voter ID

Writing a check for a purchase at the supermarket - need an ID.

Traveling by airplane - need and ID.

Being hired for most jobs - need and ID.

Should voting at the polls require an ID? It would help confirm that the person voting is indeed the person they are supposed to be.

Some state require voter ID to vote, is this fair?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post

Should voting at the polls require an ID? It would help confirm that the person voting is indeed the person they are supposed to be.

Yes, all states should require.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do you stop from turning it into a poll tax?
    If you're worth less than $5 million and you vote for McCain, you're a loser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac View Post
    How do you stop from turning it into a poll tax?
    Is there a cost for a state ID that makes it prohibitive for some people to obtain?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there a cost for a state ID that makes it prohibitive for some people to obtain?
    It has to cost something to administer. Where does that money come from? Higher taxes?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, when Hilary creates universal pre-K and universal health coverage, will any sort of ID be required? Will that be a concern to you at that time?

ID's are important to people beyond voting let them purchase them. Again is there a cost to a single person for a state issued ID that is prohibitive for someone to obtain? I imagine all states can issue a legal citizen an ID card for some sort of fee.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

So, when Hilary creates universal pre-K and universal health coverage, will any sort of ID be required? Will that be a concern to you at that time?

ID's are import to people beyond voting let them purchase them. Again is there a cost to a single person for a state issued ID that is prohibitive for someone to obtain? I imagine all states can issue a legal citizen an ID card for some sort of fee.
    Yep, no one sites DL's as too expensive to obtain. The deal to me is that you need to present a utility bill or some sort of proof that you live where you claim to live. I'm against a national ID program, but voting card should help minimize the odds of illegal voting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A sampling of a few states and fees associated with IDs

Illinois Identification Card Renewal

All Illinois ID cards are issued for a period of five years, expiring on the card holder's birthday. The renewal fee is $20 for those under the age of 65, and is free for those older than 65 years of age.
    http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/id-cards.php

New York:
    If you do not drive, you may choose a short-term non-driver ID card valid for 4 to 5 years, or a long-term ID card valid for 8 to 9 years. The exact period of your ID card and your fee depend on whether you select a short-term or long-term ID and the relationship between the date you apply and the expiration date (your month and day of birth). A short-term ID card will cost between $9.00 and $10.00. A long-term ID will cost between $13.00 and $14.00. These fees include a $5.00 photo document fee.

Discounted Non-Driver ID Card For Seniors and SSI Recipients

If you are 62 years old or older or are receiving Social Security Income (SSI), you are eligible for a 10-year ID card at a reduced fee of $6.50. If you are both 62 or older and you receive SSI, there is no fee. If you receive Social Security Income (SSI), in addition to documents proving your name and age, you also must prove you receive SSI. DMV will accept ANY ONE of the following documents from the Social Security Administration as proof that you receive SSI:
    http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-33.htm

California:

Fees

Your fee, paid during your appointment, will be:

$22 application fee for most applicants.
    Free, for those 62 years of age or older.
    Free, for those who must give up a driver license due to a medical condition.
    A $7 reduced-fee ID card is available for low-income residents.

It takes about 60 days to receive your new California ID card in the mail; meanwhile, hang onto the receipt. If it's been that long and you didn't get it, call (800) 777-0133 for help.
    http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/id-cards.php

For people recieving assistance from the state are they required to have some sort of ID, they should.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An ID should be required and the State should offer free (well taxpayer funded) ID cards for those who need them.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    An ID should be required and the State should offer free (well taxpayer funded) ID cards for those who need them.

Immie
    Thanks, Immie. It's always refreshing to see someone with a differing viewpoint show a little common sense, instead of trying to prove that the other side is completely wrong about every single detail.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac View Post
    Thanks, Immie. It's always refreshing to see someone with a differing viewpoint show a little common sense, instead of trying to prove that the other side is completely wrong about every single detail.
    You're welcome, but I try to be smarter than that because when I don't there is always an Abbey reminding me of my errors.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthre...t=10116&page=2

Originally posted by Abbey

Immie, the revolutionary war town of Concord you are thinking of was/is in Massachusetts. Near Lexington.

Quote:
    The Battles of Lexington and Concord were the first military engagements of the American Revolutionary War.[1] They were fought on April 19, 1775, in Middlesex County, Province of Massachusetts Bay, within the towns of Lexington, Concord, Lincoln, Menotomy (present-day Arlington), and Cambridge, near Boston. The battles marked the outbreak of open armed conflict between the Kingdom of Great Britain and its thirteen colonies in the mainland of British North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...on_and_Concord
    It is like posting that someone is an idiot for not being able to spell or type with a comment like this...

Hay {deliberately mis-spelled} {insert idiot's name here}, your {deliberately mis-spelled as it should be you're} a {deliberately did not use "an"} idiot for spelling they're {yes, I did that deliberately too} name wrong.
    Thank God for the edit button! How many errors have I corrected before someone else read my post? I always laugh when I find an error in someone's post like that.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, there really is no reason to not require offical ID for voting? Cool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Indiana requires you show your drivers license to vote, after showing your license they mark your name off the list. No extra costs, as far as I can see.

I really don't know anyone who doesn't have an ID except mentally ill patients even the elderly patients from retirement homes have a drivers license (many times marked to show they don't drive).

I just can't swallow the dem. assertion that an ID requirment is hard on poor voters. People on state assistance are showing some sort of proof of ID to get their benefits. They show an ID for everything else why not to vote?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, there really is no reason to not require offical ID for voting? Cool.
    Wait... I don't think some of the liberals have posted here except for Typo who asked the original question. I've read a lot of reasons (actually excuses) for not requiring an id generally claiming it to be a poll tax.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am uncertain how having a gvt id at the voting polls stops any kind of significant voter fraud.... can you explain what it does to prevent the kind of significant voter fraud that we have had?

Now if you were to say that registering to vote required proof of citizenship, then I think this would be a place where voter fraud could be taking place in a significant manner, by many illegals or even many legal immigrant residents that are not citizens yet.

But as far as voter fraud at the polls being stymied by having a gvt id card, can't see how?

You walk in to the poll and they ask your name and your address, you tell them, and they cross off your name from the list.

An id is not going to change anything.

There are not people that come in to the polls and give my or your name and address and vote for us....then we come in and it says we voted already????? This is not a common voter fraud situation...the risk is too high for the fraudulent voter to try to vote in that manner, taking the chance that you will come in before them and vote?

Id at the polls does nothing.

What could stop a great deal of voter fraud that has occured over the years is for each voting district to update their voter rolls and purge a person from the roll when they die. When the state issues a death certificate, the voter roll needs to purge off the voting roll, the person that died.

If the dead people are left on the voter rolls as legitimate voters, then those that tend the role can make a compilation of the dead people, have fake id's made up for those going in to vote using their names....so an id wouldn't even help....imo.

The only way to stop this kind of fraud is to not leave dead people on the voting list.....not id's.

And something needs to be done when people register to vote, requiring a birth certificate to show they are American citizens....

Those are things that could make an impact on voter fraud imo.

jd