Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac View Post
    Why stop there? We could use a barcode tattoo, or maybe a chip implant.
    Why are you people against any type proof for who you are?

People are already issued a SS# as soon as they're born.

People already get a license so they can drive.

People already get a birth certificate as soon as they are born.

Why is an official gov. provided photo ID any different??????????????? If they're able to make it reasonably tamper proof it may also cut down on identity theft.

I assume you also already have these things, the gov. already knows who you are.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    Requiring no ID at the voting both would make voter fraud much easier, requiring ID at the voting both will not eliminate voter fraud, however it would make it harder. In order to obtain a frauduent ID would be a hassel and a cost, why would a person do this in order to vote?
    I heard recently that 16 states, basically allow illegal's to get a licence....how would a driver's licence at the poll stop illegals from voting mtn? HOW?

I think that we need to require some sort of proof of citizenship at the time of REGISTERING to vote, or within a month of the drive that registered you....

THIS and only this will catch the illegals from voting, a driver's licence at the polls will not, because they are already registered and their name is already on the list to vote.....

even my state of maine, if older than 22 does not require a birth certificate as one of your id's in order to get a driver's licence....

i honestly believe we are wasting our time requiring an id at the polls from a person that is already registered to vote is not going to stop the fraud that is occuring....because it is occurring at the time of registration....it is as simple as that....

And the voter fraud that occurs with people taking dead people's identity is a major crime that is worked from within the system, that can only be stopped if the dead person is removed from the voting register once a death certificate is issued for them.

and as I have said before, having an id at the polls to prove you are who has registered is too late....

the fraud took place when registering, the id at the polls does nothing to stop that fraud....

it only makes the rest of us law abiding CITIZENS, who have a right to vote, think that things are safe and fraud isn't happening if we show an id, and that is utterly ridiculous because an id, is a dime a dozen...cheap to come by and does not stop any kind of fraud from happening but only makes us THINK IT DOES, WHEN IT DOESN'T, especially when we have millions of illegals with driver's licences and even legal immigrants have driver's licences or gvt id's, but according to the constitution ONLY usa CITIZENS have the right to vote....

it's a gimmick, a guise to make us "feel" better and does not in any way address the actual voter fraud that is taking place....a waste of time and money....

jd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is to simply add a layer of security to ask for ID to vote. I would hate to go to the polls to vote and be told I could not because someone has already used my name.

I'm not arguing that it would eliminate fraud, but it would deter it. What is wrong with that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
    so immie, let's hear it from you, since you are so smart....how does an id at the poll, showing that you are the person on the voter roll stop, any voter fraud from taking place?

please enlighten me....what kind of fraud does it stop? I'm all ears.....
    No, knowing you I would have to say you are all mouth.

Simple point, if a picture id is required then neither party can find out who has not appeared to vote or who is deceased yet still on the roles and send in plants to vote in their place. I can't go in and easily get an ID that says that I am John Doe and vote in his place because we know that he died three years ago. It is not so easy to get a picture id. Now you Democrats like to claim that dead people don't vote, but seems to me like it has happened before in Chicago at least. With a picture id that could be minimized quite easily. But, something tells me liberals like you don't want to stop this kind of fraud. Of course, nothing can stop a criminal from trying, but any available effort to stop it should be used.

The only kind of fraud you liberals are concerned about is Republican fraud i.e. your claims that the programs in the voting machines are skewed, which as a matter of fact, I can believe could happen and every method available to fight such fraud should be used. I highly doubt you would even worry about such fraud if Al Gore had won and the election had been questionable in 2000. Then you would have been praising the machines.

As for your other points, they are all valid, but what I want to know is why you are so opposed to stopping any kind of fraud. Is it simply because only Democrats used deceased individuals votes?

Although, your crap about it being difficult for the poor to get an id is nothing short of BS. The only people that could not get an ID are shut ins that are fat and lazy and never leave the house. Once again, you use frigging excuses to justify your obstructionism.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

driving and flying are priveledges, they are not mandatory, therefore it is okay to have to pay the gvt for them
    Um, voting is a privilege as well and is not mandatory either.

I don't believe there should be a poll tax either. Which is why I would insist on a way for people without other legal forms of identification who are in need of an id should be provided one.

Also, I don't believe that National ID's are illegal. Although, I for one am against the idea, but who really cares what I think? We will be required to carry them in our lifetimes, if not before the current Administration leaves office, I am pretty sure of that. God help us all!

Originally posted by Yurt

Waste? Answer my question, then we will talk about waste. It is apparent that it is you that needs to feel better. You have no stance and cannot answer questions. It makes you feel better to bash other people's opinions/thoughts. Real fraud? When did I ever say that voter ID would stop all fraud? I didn't. Your "read fraud" is a red herring, go fish.
    Damn! You nailed that one! That is and has always been JD's MO.

Requiring no ID at the voting both would make voter fraud much easier, requiring ID at the voting both will not eliminate voter fraud, however it would make it harder. In order to obtain a frauduent ID would be a hassel and a cost, why would a person do this in order to vote?
    Not to mention the possibility that if I went to Steve to get a fake id, Steve might just be an undercover cop and I may be the next victim of a sting operation. This increases the cost and risk of obtaining such an id and hopefully cuts down on the attempts.

Immie
    Last edited by Immanuel; 12-26-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought "Vote early, vote often" was one of the constitutional amendments.
    we know that you think this, why else are your "thoughts" not asked for

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    Um, voting is a privilege as well and is not mandatory either.
    No, voting isn't mandatory, but what possesses you to think it's a "privilege" all of a sudden?
    If you're worth less than $5 million and you vote for McCain, you're a loser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, voting isn't mandatory, but what possesses you to think it's a "privilege" all of a sudden?

you have no idea what you are saying

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought "Vote early, vote often" was one of the constitutional amendments.
    It was a Democrat proposed amendment that was shot down by a very narrow margin But, be careful, they are trying their best to resurrect it.

Well, what else would you call it? Even our rights are privileges that can be removed by our government at a moment's notice. Heck! even the privilege of life can be snuffed out at the whim of a woman or by the government.

I have no other word besides privilege that I can think of to call it at the moment and I am glad I live in the U.S. of A. where I still have that privilege.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    Well, what else would you call it? Even our rights are privileges that can be removed by our government at a moment's notice. Heck! even the privilege of life can be snuffed out at the whim of a woman or by the government.
    I want to meet this woman. She'd make an awesome assistant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want to meet this woman. She'd make an awesome assistant.
    No, you wouldn't. Piss her off and... no more Typo.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am uncertain how having a gvt id at the voting polls stops any kind of significant voter fraud.... can you explain what it does to prevent the kind of significant voter fraud that we have had?

Now if you were to say that registering to vote required proof of citizenship, then I think this would be a place where voter fraud could be taking place in a significant manner, by many illegals or even many legal immigrant residents that are not citizens yet.

But as far as voter fraud at the polls being stymied by having a gvt id card, can't see how?

You walk in to the poll and they ask your name and your address, you tell them, and they cross off your name from the list.

An id is not going to change anything.

There are not people that come in to the polls and give my or your name and address and vote for us....then we come in and it says we voted already????? This is not a common voter fraud situation...the risk is too high for the fraudulent voter to try to vote in that manner, taking the chance that you will come in before them and vote?

Id at the polls does nothing.

What could stop a great deal of voter fraud that has occured over the years is for each voting district to update their voter rolls and purge a person from the roll when they die. When the state issues a death certificate, the voter roll needs to purge off the voting roll, the person that died.

If the dead people are left on the voter rolls as legitimate voters, then those that tend the role can make a compilation of the dead people, have fake id's made up for those going in to vote using their names....so an id wouldn't even help....imo.

The only way to stop this kind of fraud is to not leave dead people on the voting list.....not id's.

And something needs to be done when people register to vote, requiring a birth certificate to show they are American citizens....

Those are things that could make an impact on voter fraud imo.

jd
    Your friend, Joe Schmo, is on vacation or in the hospital. After going to your precinct and casting your vote, what's to stop you from going to his and saying "Hi, I'm Joe Schmo"?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Writing a check for a purchase at the supermarket - need an ID.

Traveling by airplane - need and ID.

Being hired for most jobs - need and ID.

Should voting at the polls require an ID? It would help confirm that the person voting is indeed the person they are supposed to be.

Some state require voter ID to vote, is this fair?
    I would like to see it, but I feel this needs to be decided by the individual states, the federal government should not have a say in this.
    POLITICAL ACTIVISTS CREED
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in people's minds" -Samuel Adams

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
    stand ready to do violence on their behalf."~George Orwell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 82Marine89 View Post
    I would like to see it, but I feel this needs to be decided by the individual states, the federal government should not have a say in this.
    I have always been against the states deciding on 50 different ways to handle a presidential ballot. There need to be two separate ballots in presidential years: one federal, and one state.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 82Marine89 View Post
    If it's a federal election they should.