Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Default "Creationism is not science"

A scientific report has concluded that Creationism is not science and should not be taught as such. It points out the difficulties in meshing religion and science. Religion is based on belief, while science relies on factual evidence.
    Or, as Bill Hicks once said "I have a one word question for those who believe in creation -- Dinosaurs"

http://sciencedude.freedomblogging.c...thored-by-uci/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    A scientific report has concluded that Creationism is not science and should not be taught as such. It points out the difficulties in meshing religion and science. Religion is based on belief, while science relies on factual evidence.
    Or, as Bill Hicks once said "I have a one word question for those who believe in creation -- Dinosaurs"

http://sciencedude.freedomblogging.c...thored-by-uci/
    what created dinosaurs?

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

They evolved. Just like everything else.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They evolved. Just like everything else.
    evolved from what?

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Go back to school dude.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

When watching some of my favourite Discovery or Nat'l Geographic shows I become literall nauseated when I hear them proclaim things like:

"This plant (somehow, magically - dp) evolved to be consumed by large animals, then have it's seeds pooped out, to use the dung as fertilizer."

or

"The search for water in space is the search for life, because life could (somehow, magically - dp) evolve where there's water"

or

"The crocodile (somehow, magically - dp) developed the ability to not destroy it's own jaw with it's massive closing power - 2000 psi or more!"

I think it's absolutely against anything remotely related to common sense to think all this - how our universe works - happened by luck and random chance or accident. It's silly. Macro Evolution is a JOKE. Absolute lunacy.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Go back to school dude.
    This because she doesn't have an answer. Maybe she should go back to school?

Personally, I agree Creationism is not science. That does not mean it is not the Truth. I also believe that if we are going to teach Evolution, and I believe that we should teach it, we should teach that there are other "theories" that counter, or in my belief, assist the science of Evolution.

I do not believe life formed out of a primordial soup. To believe such takes much more faith than I have, as there is NO evidence that this happened! But, I do believe that the laws of nature including Evolution, were created in the same way we were created and life goes on from there.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I think it's absolutely against anything remotely related to common sense to think all this - how our universe works - happened by luck and random chance or accident. It's silly. Macro Evolution is a JOKE. Absolute lunacy.
    What about the idea that a Supreme Being created the heavens and universe? That is really unbelievable to a lot of folks.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Frankly, the complexities of our universe POINT towards a designer. If people don't want to believe in God, they'll find plenty of excuses; they'll drum-up whatever "evidence" they want to support their preconceptions
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Frankly, the complexities of our universe POINT towards a designer. If people don't want to believe in God, they'll find plenty of excuses; they'll drum-up whatever "evidence" they want to support their preconceptions
    I disagree. I think this is a lazy way of thinking about the universe. "It's too complex so it must've been designed." The fossil, genetic, chemical, and geological evidence overwhelmingly supports and reaffirms the theory of evolution. I don't think that should have any bearing on a person's religious beliefs. Loving God and your fellow man doesn't have anything to do with how we all got here.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    The fossil, genetic, chemical, and geological evidence overwhelmingly supports and reaffirms the theory of evolution.

Except I believe it overwhelmingly supports intelligent design. Because I'm open minded.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Scientific people tend to rely on actual evidence. Fossils and remains are more important than theory. And they date back further than the 12,000 years dictated by the Bible.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

what's dictated biblically at 12000 years? The bible doesn't estimate or indicate the age of the earth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Except I believe it overwhelmingly supports intelligent design. Because I'm open minded.
    Riiiiiiight. I should've remembered that but I was too distracted with the mountain of fossil, genetic, chemical and geological evidence.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Riiiiiiight. I should've remembered that but I was too distracted with the mountain of fossil, genetic, chemical and geological evidence.
    ...which flies in the face of Macro evolution, yet you believe it because, perhaps, you're scared of the Truth.