Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Why should I? There have been stories quoted here that cherry pick crimes numbers for New Orleans refugees and migrant workers. Those totals would be pretty low in the overall numbers as well.
    Service veterans are honorable people, but they are subject to the same laws as everyone else. They are not exempt. If nothing else, they are held to a higher standard.
    You can't have it both ways.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Why should I? There have been stories quoted here that cherry pick crimes numbers for New Orleans refugees and migrant workers. Those totals would be pretty low in the overall numbers as well.
    Service veterans are honorable people, but they are subject to the same laws as everyone else. They are not exempt. If nothing else, they are held to a higher standard.
    Service members are held to a higher standard morally speaking. And, they live up to the standard better than non-vets in the legal areas as well.

OF course I can have it both ways
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

your argument is essentially:

I know you, but what am I, I'm rubber you're glue

Just admit the article you posted is biased and wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a subversive who will say and do anything to aid the enemy in making sure we lose the war

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    You have done nothing to support your statement except post a one-sided, uncorroborated by actual data misleading NY Times article.

Want to validate your argument? Go back to my previous post and provide the numbers requested.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

So if you perceive that "everybody else" is looting, you might as well grab a TV as well?

I didn't ask you to exempt military veterans. I asked you to provide data that would put your argument in proper perspective in a fair and unbiased manner.

As it is, without the additional comparative data, you have nothing but a baseless accusation.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am willing to concede something is going on....this morning a man I know is being arraigned for murdering his wife.....he has been a good man, good father, police officer, church member, kids in private Christian school, National Guard ......a few months ago my daughter ate lunch with his daughter and her mother and they talked about how excited they were Dad was coming home from Iraq safely.....last Wednesday he walked into the house and shot his wife of 22 years......

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/pai...9827553219.bsp
    ...full immersion.....

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I think this suggests the value of the many programs for War veterans; it shows how they can get help before they kill somebody. It shows the Army is doing a pretty-damn good job of taking care of it's own. Navy and AirForce, too, I'd imagine.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

deja vu. The media is repeating their efforts of the 70's. Condemn the military and then go after the returning vets. Have you any idea how many times a Vietnam Vet did this and that. If a vet did something the media played on it.

This is just the next step in the media's hate the military campaign.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I see. It's OK to go after Blacks, Mexicans, Muslims and liberals. But it is not OK to go after the military in any manner.
    I should have known.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

There are Blacks, Mexicans, Muslims and Liberals in the Military...blows your theory out of the water, eh?

It's just not okay to go after ANYBODY with crappy data...that's the point, Gab. Here's a hint - check this out...
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I see. It's OK to go after Blacks, Mexicans, Muslims and liberals. But it is not OK to go after the military in any manner.
    I should have known.
    In the article I see a media attempt to besmirch the military and particularly the vets. This stuff was all over the media in the 70's. Vietnam Vet did this, Vietnam Vet did that. It was almost daily. I began to think I was unique as i wasn't having flashbacks going on killing sprees. It actually became a defense for people to blame their actions on their experiences, many of them phony.

Vietnam Vets were looked on with suspicion and fear. All because of the media propaganda. You would never understand it unless you had been there. Things didn't really improve until the 80's. Most Vietnam Vets were not messed up from their experiences in Vietnam, they were messed up from their experience here at home. I had a lot of friends in the 70's that never knew I was in Vietnam.

I bash liberals because they were responsible for what went on back then. The liberals and their media hacks. They are back to their old tricks of trying to undermine the military and destroy the Vets that return. Vietnam Vets aren't going to let it happen again.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I should have known.
    you can go after the military, and you certaily do, but have the right facts. This story was on Fox last night and they said the same things that were posted here. The vets rates are actually lower than the general population.

This was a smear piece, plain and simple.

Who said that service people should not be held to the same laws as everyone else??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    the normal rate for society as a whole is twice that of the most recent rate for the military......

in other words the average american citizen is twice as likely to kill as a vet....

therefore if everyone was required to join the military the murder rate could be cut in half....
    http://www.wavlist.com/soundfx/014/cricket-1.wav
    Last edited by manu1959; 01-16-2008 at 01:07 AM.

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I should have known.

No, you DON'T see. If you're going to go after the military, gets your ducks lined up. As it is, you have presented no argument, just a one-sided accusation.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus