Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default 300

Yes, believe it or not, it took me this long to finally watch this. I thought it was badass, of course, very interesting story. Actually, it was a deeper story than I thought it would be, too. Without knowing anything about the story other than what I saw in previews, I assumed it would be Spartans fight Persians, Spartans win, the end. But, I was happy to see there was a lot more to it than that.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

After seeing this movie I had to redefine what it meant to be "A Man."

THOSE naked bastards were MEN. Geesh.

I thought the movie was fanTASTIC.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It was total fantasy. The only thing historical about it were the names. I thought it really sucked. But then I'm not into martial arts flicks and people jumping ten feet in the air. The original 300 Spartans was better in terms of how the Spartans actually fought. They should have called it the 300 Spartans verses the orcs and ogres. A waste of film.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

If you liked the movie, might I suggest you check out The History Channel's Last Stand of the 300? It is very interesting and brings to light much of what was left out of the movie. I bought it as a companion piece when I bought 300.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    It was total fantasy. The only thing historical about it were the names. I thought it really sucked. But then I'm not into martial arts flicks and people jumping ten feet in the air. The original 300 Spartans was better in terms of how the Spartans actually fought. They should have called it the 300 Spartans verses the orcs and ogres. A waste of film.
    My friend had a similar complaint, that it wasn't realistic enough, but honestly just judging from the previews, it should've been obvious that it wasn't going for realism. Though, to be fair, the whole movie was told from the point of view of one of the Spartans, not from an omniscient third-party.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Yes, believe it or not, it took me this long to finally watch this. I thought it was badass, of course, very interesting story. Actually, it was a deeper story than I thought it would be, too. Without knowing anything about the story other than what I saw in previews, I assumed it would be Spartans fight Persians, Spartans win, the end. But, I was happy to see there was a lot more to it than that.
    I watch this movie everytime I start to NOT feel like working out. I thought it was a great movie and very entertaining
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

...but it was supposed to be a dramatized version of that story. I didn't expect accuracy - I expected amazing visuals and a good message.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i was skeptical when i started watching it, but i freaking loved that movie. I have been thinking alot about heroism. Its a concept that has been lost on alot of people. Not just the idea of fighting and killing. but the idea that you give yourself for others. even if it means you give your life. How many people nowadays understand that? Especially outside the military, God bless them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

If the Spartans hadn't won, Western history would have turned out drastically different... for two things, we'd probably all be speaking Farsi and be Zorastrians!
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    If you liked the movie, might I suggest you check out The History Channel's Last Stand of the 300? It is very interesting and brings to light much of what was left out of the movie. I bought it as a companion piece when I bought 300.
    That history channel one was good. I like good fantasy movies. I just don't like fantasy woven into history. It gives a false depiction of the events. I guess I'm too much of a realist when it comes to history.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

That history channel one was good. I like good fantasy movies. I just don't like fantasy woven into history. It gives a false depiction of the events. I guess I'm too much of a realist when it comes to history.
    I sympathize with you on this one. I much prefer a historical movie be historically accurate. That being said, 300 was not based on the history, rather it was based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, as such, I was able to cut the movie some slack. Now, if you compare the movie to the graphic novel, it's dead on. The book could have acted as storyboard for the film.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its was never meant to be a 'historical' film. It was based off Frank Miller's graphic novel, which itself was meant to be told as a story as the Greeks would have told it. A story that gets exaggerated, glorifies the soldiers and villanizes the enemy. Thats why they did things like portray the Immortals as souless demons, because thats what their reputation was at the time and many people actually believed it.
    Last edited by theHawk; 01-14-2008 at 03:47 PM.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Fair enough. Just out of curiosity, what would you consider to be the most historically accurate film you've seen? Documentaries excluded, obviously.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Fair enough. Just out of curiosity, what would you consider to be the most historically accurate film you've seen? Documentaries excluded, obviously.
    I would have to say The Alamo. The new one, not the John Wayne version. They went to a lot of trouble to be historically accurate.

My second choice would be Blackhawk Down.

Master and Commander was another one that depicted things accurately.

Your hard pressed to find historical accuracy coming out of hollywood.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

My second choice would be Blackhawk Down.
    Agreed on this one. Thing is, the biggest complaint about this movie was that there were no identifiable characters. I've never been to war, but I can imagine, that's what it's like. You don't look at the guy next to you and see Ewan McGregor, or whoever, you see your fellow soldier. Plus, I love the ending, kinda like 300, how the heroes aren't really "heroes" in the classic Hollywood sense, if you know what I mean.

Your hard pressed to find historical accuracy coming out of hollywood.
    This is why I was asking. It's gotten to the point where every historical movie follows the same exact Braveheart/Gladiator formula, which I'm so sick of.