Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Lawrence of Arabia. Though I'm not sure how histrically accurate it was.

Dan, to your complaint og there being no identifiable characters in Blackhawk Down, I am of the opinion that this was done on purpose, the idea being that all those involved were just as worthy of recognition as the next man. That in fact all played a significant role in the events detailed in the film.

To take that thought one step further, if I remember correctly, the opening titles showed none of the actors names. To me, this made the story itself the star rather than one or two characters.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

anyone ever seen Zulu.....pretty accurate and a good movie to boot....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    I can't say that I've seen Zulu, it doesn't stick out in my memory, but I have on numerous occasions made it a point to watch the mini-series Shaka Zulu when it pops up on The History Channel.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    I loved Zulu !!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Agreed on this one. Thing is, the biggest complaint about this movie was that there were no identifiable characters. I've never been to war, but I can imagine, that's what it's like. You don't look at the guy next to you and see Ewan McGregor, or whoever, you see your fellow soldier. Plus, I love the ending, kinda like 300, how the heroes aren't really "heroes" in the classic Hollywood sense, if you know what I mean.

This is why I was asking. It's gotten to the point where every historical movie follows the same exact Braveheart/Gladiator formula, which I'm so sick of.
    I agree. If I see one more movie where they are shouting freedom, I will puke. They all seem to think that's the main point of the movie and that all historical figures were fighting for freedom, when they were actually fighting for their own personal gain or someone elses.

I can't say I'm a big movie fan. I would rather read a book. I'm the kind that wants all the details and background on things. What happened, what caused it and who was involved. Movies tend to gloss over those things for the purpose of glitz and glamor. I also hate the over use of pyrotechnics that all the films love to use. Grenades do not blow up in balls of flame and blow up houses, old cannon balls did not explode. Swords do not slid in and out of a body.

I guess I have seen to much real life stuff to be impressed with the hollywood version of things. If they are doing fantasy that's fine, but if they are doing historical movies they should attempt to be accurate. I considered 300 to be a very juvenile movie. But it may inspire a few people to study up on it and read about the real events. It was the Spartans tactics and ability to fight as a unit that made them so unbeatable.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Dan, to your complaint og there being no identifiable characters in Blackhawk Down, I am of the opinion that this was done on purpose, the idea being that all those involved were just as worthy of recognition as the next man. That in fact all played a significant role in the events detailed in the film.

To take that thought one step further, if I remember correctly, the opening titles showed none of the actors names. To me, this made the story itself the star rather than one or two characters.
    Just to clarify, it wasn't my complaint, just one I heard a lot. I loved the movie. I think they did that (no standout characters) on purpose as well. It's funny to look at the credits and see how many famous or at least recognizable actors are in there.

Completely offtopic, as I think it's entirely fictional, but has anyone seen The Kingdom? I've been wanting to see it.

Gaffer, given your dislike of unrealistic portrayals of war, how did you feel about the beginning of Saving Private Ryan? It's definitely the most real-feeling battle scene I've ever seen. The beginning of the movie Glory is pretty tough, too.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Just to clarify, it wasn't my complaint, just one I heard a lot. I loved the movie. I think they did that (no standout characters) on purpose as well. It's funny to look at the credits and see how many famous or at least recognizable actors are in there.

Completely offtopic, as I think it's entirely fictional, but has anyone seen The Kingdom? I've been wanting to see it.

Gaffer, given your dislike of unrealistic portrayals of war, how did you feel about the beginning of Saving Private Ryan? It's definitely the most real-feeling battle scene I've ever seen. The beginning of the movie Glory is pretty tough, too.
    Oops...My bad.

I saw The Kingdom, it was pretty good. I bought the DVD and wasn't disappointed to have spent the money, this is one of the measures by which I judge movies these days. Jamie Fox and Chris Cooper are excellent as usual, Jason Bateman may become one of our better character actors in the years to come, and Jennifer Garner is always easy on the eyes. The movie is pretty much apolitical, dealing only with terrorism, it's aftermath, and the investigation.

On the topic of good historical movies, some of my favorites include Glory, Munich, We Were Soldiers, Salvador, Flags of Our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, Hotel Rwanda, The Spirit of St. Louis, Apollo 13, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and for sports, Miracle.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The landing in Saving Private Ryan was definitely top notch material. One of the most realistic battle scenes I have ever seen. I would have to put that one in my list of well done. Glory was well done as well. They actually used the commands of the day and the tactics that were used during the civil war. I have actually studied the commands and formations used during that period and that movie was right on the money with everything. I liked both those movies.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i liked green beret with john wayne.....certain scenes in apocalypse now and platoon....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Did I mention Band of Brothers? Okay, it's a mini-series, but still...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did I mention Band of Brothers? Okay, it's a mini-series, but still...
    i love that series.....amazing stuf....the one where he runs back and forth through the enemy lines is nuts.....and the forest episode was beyond tearfull.....

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Band of Brothers was a good series. I liked it. Don't even get me started on platoon and apococrap now. The only reasonable Vietnam movie I have seen was We Were Soldiers and there's a lot of things in that I can pick apart as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Band of Brothers was a good series. I liked it. Don't even get me started on platoon and apococrap now. The only reasonable Vietnam movie I have seen was We Were Soldiers and there's a lot of things in that I can pick apart as well.
    not one scene in either of those movies?.......what about full metal jacket.....

not fucking with you just asking....

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Oops...My bad.

I saw The Kingdom, it was pretty good. I bought the DVD and wasn't disappointed to have spent the money, this is one of the measures by which I judge movies these days. Jamie Fox and Chris Cooper are excellent as usual, Jason Bateman may become one of our better character actors in the years to come, and Jennifer Garner is always easy on the eyes. The movie is pretty much apolitical, dealing only with terrorism, it's aftermath, and the investigation.

On the topic of good historical movies, some of my favorites include Glory, Munich, We Were Soldiers, Salvador, Flags of Our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, Hotel Rwanda, The Spirit of St. Louis, Apollo 13, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and for sports, Miracle.
    Kinda funny to see Monty Python on that list! Do you consider the Life of Brian to be a good religious movie?

Will I like The Kingdom if I don't like Jamie Foxx? I'm a really big Jason Bateman fan, like you said, I think he's a very underrated actor. He was outstanding in Arrested Development, of course, but he was also great in Starsky and Hutch, and he was even good in that pile of crap Smoking Aces.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Kinda funny to see Monty Python on that list! Do you consider the Life of Brian to be a good religious movie?

Will I like The Kingdom if I don't like Jamie Foxx? I'm a really big Jason Bateman fan, like you said, I think he's a very underrated actor. He was outstanding in Arrested Development, of course, but he was also great in Starsky and Hutch, and he was even good in that pile of crap Smoking Aces.
    Hell, The Life of Brian is better than The Passion! LOL.

As for The Kingdom, I think you'll like it. It's well done and does a very good job of not demonizing all Arabs as terrorists. The action scenes are intenseand well shot.

Jamie Fox is not a favorite of mine, but he does good work, I'm thinking of Ray in particular.