Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What do you consider evidence?

I was reading in another thread here a comment about there being no physical evidence about God. And I am just curious what exactly people consider evidence.

What evidence would convince you?

Can you acknowledge evidence even if you don't agree with the conclusion?

I ask this, because I look around at the world around us and everywhere I turn I see evidence of the living God. The complexities of nature. The witnesses in the scriptures. The laws of science. All of these things testify of a Supreme Creator.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I was reading in another thread here a comment about there being no physical evidence about God. And I am just curious what exactly people consider evidence.

What evidence would convince you?

Can you acknowledge evidence even if you don't agree with the conclusion?

I ask this, because I look around at the world around us and everywhere I turn I see evidence of the living God. The complexities of nature. The witnesses in the scriptures. The laws of science. All of these things testify of a Supreme Creator.

i see evidence or wonders of nature and science , but unfortunately the only evidence of god or jesus , is total hearsay and i might add it is very old hearsay or testiment . i doubt that any of it would hold up in a court of law , with all bias completely pushed to the side .
    having said that i don't and never will knock any one for there religeous beliefs ( tom cruise aside )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
    i see evidence or wonders of nature and science , but unfortunately the only evidence of god or jesus , is total hearsay and i might add it is very old hearsay or testiment . i doubt that any of it would hold up in a court of law , with all bias completely pushed to the side .
    having said that i don't and never will knock any one for there religeous beliefs ( tom cruise aside )
    hearsay evidence is evidence submitted by someone who did not actually experience the event......the written 'deposition' of John is not hearsay evidence, it is the written record of a first hand observer.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    hearsay evidence is evidence submitted by someone who did not actually experience the event......the written 'deposition' of John is not hearsay evidence, it is the written record of a first hand observer.....
    allegedly yes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
    allegedly yes
    that argument has no bearing on whether it is "hearsay".... it bears on credibility......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't know what would constitute physical evidence. Maybe if some of the stuff that happened in the Bible, still happened, such as immaculate conception (not AI), and water to wine, and someone being cured of a disease, simply by being touched by one person.

I guess if it happened then, why not now?

I am not saying God doesn't exist in some form. I also don't like the idea of a group of people telling me that in order to belong to their group, I have to think, act, and believe a certain way, and not question it. My personality is just not suited for this, whether it was from the way my life was a child, or just something I was born with. I can't subscribe to something as truth just because someone says so. I am willing to listen, and take the points I need from going to church when I do attend. I do enjoy a good sermon now and then, but I just don't feel the need to keep repeating the same thing weekly.

I am more for the idea that there may be just one God, or there could be a group of them (given the different religions around the world), or maybe none at all. I have nothing against people who want and believe in a certain faith. If they feel that is the life you want to lead, then so be it. I am not one to chastize you about it, especially if you are not in my face about it and you are secure enough in your own belief system that you don't need to try and actively recruit me. I will come around in my own time, if I so choose. Just be comfortable with the idea that you aren't going to convert me overnight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Evidence is bits of information that piece together to point logically toward a conclusion. In the case of God's existence, I've never seen any "evidence" pointing towards proof of his existence that couldn't be dismissed as or attributed to natural phenomena.
    Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 01-17-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Evidence is bits of information that piece together to point logically toward a conclusion. In the case of God's existence, I've never seen any "evidence" pointing towards proof of his existence that couldn't be dismissed as or attributed to natural phenomena.
    /shrugs.......and I have never seen anything attributed to natural phenomena that couldn't have just as easily been the hand of God in action.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

/shrugs.......and I have never seen anything attributed to natural phenomena that couldn't have just as easily been the hand of God in action.....
    Which is why I don't rule it out 100%, because I really don't know what to believe to be the absolute truth. I am open to the idea that there could be a God, and all that goes with it. There are just some aspects of organized religion that don't appeal to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well that's a ridiculous statment. It's pretty easy to just shrug and say "it's magic!" It's quite another to show direct cause/effect relationships using the scientific method and actual physical evidence. How are we talking to each other on the Internet? Is it physics in action? Or is it magic? How in the hell does an egg turn into a chicken? Is it biology or..........magic? Gee whiz, I don't know about that one because both explanations are equally plausible! Hyuck!
    Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 01-17-2008 at 04:43 PM.