Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The best case for rejecting religion

Note: I'm not referring explicitly to Jesus or Christianity anywhere. My argument applies to all forms of spiritual, faith-based, belief, Western or otherwise.

Throughout human history, every religion has attempted to provide comfort to its followers by ascribing some kind of meaning to life. And all this time, the true answer to "What is the meaning of life?" has been something of a holy grail to many, many people.

The problem is that, not only is the question un-answerable, it's actually meaningless.

Trying to ascertain a meaning to life is like trying to ascertain whether Tuesday is blue. The two concepts simply don't have enough in common to allow any kind of basis for comparison. The most that anyone can say with any degree of certainty is that "life [for you personally] is what you [personally] make of it."

Of course, that belief isn't incompatible with religious doctrine: it just renders all that dogma unimportant. Nor does the rejection of religion based on this belief have anything to do with nihilism, because it does not in any way support the idea that no human action is preferable to any other. After all, there is plenty of objective evidence to indicate that groups of people are better off when they cooperate than when it's every man for himself.

The bottom line is that, if we hold to the goal of improving ourselves and our lives, we simply don't need the comfort of a supreme being, a concept of an afterlife, or any other mythos. Life is nothing more than what we ourselves make of it. No god can help us or stand in our way.
    If you're worth less than $5 million and you vote for McCain, you're a loser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why is it important that religion be rejected......

if we follow your advice and reject religion which life philospohy should replace the religion you reject.....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    why is it important that religion be rejected......
    Assuming that your goal is to improve your life, religion itself is not likely to help you attain that goal.

if we follow your advice and reject religion which life philospohy should replace the religion you reject.....
    As I said above: to improve yourself and your life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac View Post
    Assuming that your goal is to improve your life, religion itself is not likely to help you attain that goal.

As I said above: to improve yourself and your life.
    so you claim for "why is it important that religion be rejected"......is because it will improve my life.....what about all the people that follow religion who's lives are improved....

my question was....

you did not give me a life philosophy to replace religion with......what do i use or look to to help guide me in my daily choices....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so you claim for "why is it important that religion be rejected"......is because it will improve my life.....what about all the people that follow religion who's lives are improved....
    I am not denying that religion is a source of comfort for many people. Some of these people are able to improve their lives because they have this extra comfort, but that's not true of everyone who observes any given religion.

my question was....

you did not give me a life philosophy to replace religion with......what do i use or look to to help guide me in my daily choices....
    It's not clear to me why you think that the goal of improving your life is not ALSO a life philosophy. You can certainly make your daily choices based on the question: "Which decision is likely to make my life better, and to what degree?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what do i use or look to to help guide me in my daily choices....
    I figure people are intelligent enough to figure that out on their own.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's not clear to me why you think that the goal of improving your life is not ALSO a life philosophy
    lol, and it puzzles me why you think it is any different from trying to find "meaning" in your life.......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am not denying that religion is a source of comfort for many people. Some of these people are able to improve their lives because they have this extra comfort, but that's not true of everyone who observes any given religion.
    so if religion gives a majority of people that embrace it comfort and the ability to improve their lives that would make religion a good....it would seem to me religion does that....given more people embrace it then leave it....

It's not clear to me why you think that the goal of improving your life is not ALSO a life philosophy. You can certainly make your daily choices based on the question: "Which decision is likely to make my life better, and to what degree?"
    so if i choose to improve my life and i have been using religion to do so and you say i should reject religion because there is a better philosophy which is reject religion and your life will get better but you can not articulate the philosophy other than to say improve your life....hey dude i am already improving my life....

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    lol, and it puzzles me why you think it is any different from trying to find "meaning" in your life.......
    Well, if you end up concluding that the only "meaning" your life has is to bow down to some altar, then you don't have any incentive to improve, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959
    so if religion gives a majority of people that embrace it comfort and the ability to improve their lives that would make religion a good....it would seem to me religion does that....given more people embrace it then leave it....
    That depends on whether you're embracing religion because the belief itself gives you the opportunity to improve your life, or whether you're embracing it just because Mom and Dad have.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, if you end up concluding that the only "meaning" your life has is to bow down to some altar, then you don't have any incentive to improve, do you?

That depends on whether you're embracing religion because the belief itself gives you the opportunity to improve your life, or whether you're embracing it just because Mom and Dad have.
    so if one chooses reiligion because it improves ones life that would be a good thing.....

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so if one chooses reiligion because it improves ones life that would be a good thing.....
    Assuming it really does improve one's life, sure. However, IMO most people who choose religion are hoping (unconsciously, perhaps) that it will lull them into laziness, or into a false sense of complacency. Both of which can be excused by a misplaced faith in someone or something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Assuming it really does improve one's life, sure. However, IMO most people who choose religion are hoping (unconsciously, perhaps) that it will lull them into laziness, or into a false sense of complacency. Both of which can be excused by a misplaced faith in someone or something.
    so then it would seem that you beileve that the point of life is to improve ones life and that one should do thing and make choices to improve ones life and if one choose religion and it improves their life ....which you now claim is possible..... then your claim that rejecting religion would improve ones life is false.......

damn dude you are 0-2 and i voted for bush 4 times....

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I reject the premise that religion is simply meant to provide meaning in our lives. It does provide meaning, but that is a result and not the purpose of it.

Religion, like science, is a question for the truth. It's designed to help people know and understand God. And by understanding Our Father in Heaven, we learn who we are and what we are capable of becoming.

The difference between religion and science is simply the method of discerning the truth. The science do so through observation. Religion does it through revelation. Without revelation, without the ability to learn about God from the source, no man can know any truth about God.

The problem is there are alot of people who want to dismiss revelation without giving it an opportunity. The Scriptures set out a pattern that show us how to search for and reach out to God. And here, like in science, you come to learn through experience by living the word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so then it would seem that you beileve that the point of life is to improve ones life and that one should do thing and make choices to improve ones life and if one choose religion and it improves their life ....which you now claim is possible..... then your claim that rejecting religion would improve ones life is false.......

damn dude you are 0-2 and i voted for bush 4 times....
    Damn, dude, it's too bad there isn't an Olympic event for conclusion jumping.

My claim was only that religion does not seem to improve most people's lives. (No, I can't prove this; it's just my opinion.) And therefore, if it doesn't improve your life, it's a waste of time. Time which would be better spent on something that does improve your life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I reject the premise that religion is simply meant to provide meaning in our lives. It does provide meaning, but that is a result and not the purpose of it.

Religion, like science, is a question for the truth. It's designed to help people know and understand God. And by understanding Our Father in Heaven, we learn who we are and what we are capable of becoming.

The difference between religion and science is simply the method of discerning the truth. The science do so through observation. Religion does it through revelation. Without revelation, without the ability to learn about God from the source, no man can know any truth about God.

The problem is there are alot of people who want to dismiss revelation without giving it an opportunity. The Scriptures set out a pattern that show us how to search for and reach out to God. And here, like in science, you come to learn through experience by living the word.
    Without independent proof of God's existence, how can you be sure that the revelation you think you're experiencing is genuine?