Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Default Trying to understand the economy

My husband is a financial consultant and adviser for a very prominent company. Understanding and evaluating the economy is at the core of his job.
    I try to avoid discussing these things with him. It is an incredibly stressful job, and I want him to be able to be able to relax when he comes home.
    But since the current economy affects all of us, we discussed it on Monday. How it affects us, and all of you. Keep in mind that these thoughts come from a fairly conservative Orange Country Republican.

Our government has screwed things up, almost to the breaking point. No, NOT just the White House. The Congress has a pretty large hand in it as well. We have gone through countless years of knee jerk reactions to economic indicators.
    The first rule of understanding and dealing with the American economy has ALWAYS been to [b]not panic![/] Long term corrections always steady out short term ups and downs. But because political leaders feel they have to react to everything (especially in an election year), there are always this stimulus packages thrown around. Which, in the long run, do more harm that good.
    Sure, everyone wants $800 in their pocket. But at what cost? If you are older (say, 40-50 plus), the hurtful aspects will not affect you. But if you are younger, the deficit additions will eventually sock you where it hurts. Your investment packages and long-term savings are eventually going to crater.

Be aware of the "band aid" reforms advocated by the current candidates. Don't fool with your investments. Above all, do not panic. Plan your investments as normal.
    It might not hurt to get your own financial planner. They are good people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Our government has screwed things up, almost to the breaking point. No, NOT just the White House. The Congress has a pretty large hand in it as well. We have gone through countless years of knee jerk reactions to economic indicators.
    I agree with you 3000%! Now please try explaining this to truthmatters who claims it is 100% the fault of republicans.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

excellent thread, nice job gabo

My husband is a financial consultant and adviser for a very prominent company. Understanding and evaluating the economy is at the core of his job.
    I try to avoid discussing these things with him. It is an incredibly stressful job, and I want him to be able to be able to relax when he comes home.
    But since the current economy affects all of us, we discussed it on Monday. How it affects us, and all of you. Keep in mind that these thoughts come from a fairly conservative Orange Country Republican.

The first rule of understanding and dealing with the American economy has ALWAYS been to [b]not panic![/] Long term corrections always steady out short term ups and downs. But because political leaders feel they have to react to everything (especially in an election year), there are always this stimulus packages thrown around. Which, in the long run, do more harm that good.
    Sure, everyone wants $800 in their pocket. But at what cost? If you are older (say, 40-50 plus), the hurtful aspects will not affect you. But if you are younger, the deficit additions will eventually sock you where it hurts. Your investment packages and long-term savings are eventually going to crater.

Be aware of the "band aid" reforms advocated by the current candidates. Don't fool with your investments. Above all, do not panic. Plan your investments as normal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Excellent, gabosaurus. Who knew you were a conservative?
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about wooden nickles ? Should we take em or not ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I do not mean this in any sexist way, you should listen to your husband.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    How about wooden nickles ? Should we take em or not ?
    what kind of wood?

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    what kind of wood?
    http://www.wooden-nickel.net/history/

Doesn't say-----gotta check with my financial advisor I guess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what kind of wood?
    About six inches.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    About six inches.
    hey now.....i don't fold it in half for just anyone........

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I do listen to my husband. The best thing is, he listens to me as well.
    My husband is an extremely intelligent person. Which is why he makes the big bucks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    About six inches.
    hey now.....i don't fold it in half for just anyone........
    From the ground.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

It is a well known fact -- bragging men think in inches and talk in centimeters.