View Poll Results: Do you support torture?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

43 55.84%
  • no

34 44.16%
Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    So you believe, in the history of mankind, torture has never broken someone into telling the truth?
    I believe, in the history of mankind, that any society which condones torture is also a society run by tyrants and fascists.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    There ya go! Yes/No only answers are usually a trap. Good example.
    Its not a trap. If you are against the use of torture, at all times in all places, then answer no. Given that, if you can't answer no, then answer yes.

You're either for torture, or against it. Just like you're either for child incest, or against it. But I'm sure, given enough imagination, you could come up with a scenario that while physically possible, would never actually happen, where molesting a child was the logical choice to make because not making it would result in worse consequences. Yet, you would still say you are against child molestation, right? Or would you say 'define child molestation' - since molestation has no precise meaning, like torture (or ANY word for that matter)?
    Last edited by SpidermanTUba; 01-25-2008 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanTUba View Post
    Its not a trap. If you are against the use of torture, at all times in all places, then answer no. Given that, if you can't answer no, then answer yes.

You're either for torture, or against it. Just like you're either for child incest, or against it. But I'm sure, given enough imagination, you could come up with a scenario that while physically possible, would never actually happen, where molesting a child was the logical choice to make because not making it would result in worse consequences. Yet, you would still say you are against child molestation, right? Or would you say 'define child molestation' - since molestation has no precise meaning, like torture (or ANY word for that matter)?
    NM, you ran from this, so this question is again for you too:

ST, NM - Do you support sex?

only Yes or only No

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Some of the posts I've read could be considered torture.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    So you believe, in the history of mankind, torture has never broken someone into telling the truth?
    I would say there may have been aberrations now and then, but nothing consistently or even statistically successful enough for people to continue using it.

If you look at the history of torture's use.. its primarily a method to establish control over the subject and/or humiliate them.

The scariest interrogators in WW2 were the silver-tongued SS agents who psychologically broke people (without that person usually realizing it) and induced them into doing what they wanted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    only if it's not me being tortured.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

discounting humanity is a slippery slope. It starts with torturing a terrorist who we are 100% sure has knowledge concerning an attack that would kill half the planet....and before not too very long, it becomes routinely beating every suspect in routine robberies to speed up and solidify the confession-obtaining process.

If you would torture a terrorist you KNEW had knowledge of an attack that would kill millions, why wouldn't you torture a terrorist suspect you THOUGHT had knowledge of an attack that would kill thousands, or a possible terrorist who MIGHT have knowledge of an attack that would kill hundreds?

And beyond that, how would you EVER hold the moral high ground against any enemy who treated captured Americans the same way?

My GOD...does being an American mean anything special anymore? Are we not BETTER than our enemies?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well i will tell u what i disagree with, holding american citizens in jail with no lawyers indefinently, that is wrong.

ill read more of this later.

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    discounting humanity is a slippery slope. It starts with torturing a terrorist who we are 100% sure has knowledge concerning an attack that would kill half the planet....and before not too very long, it becomes routinely beating every suspect in routine robberies to speed up and solidify the confession-obtaining process.

If you would torture a terrorist you KNEW had knowledge of an attack that would kill millions, why wouldn't you torture a terrorist suspect you THOUGHT had knowledge of an attack that would kill thousands, or a possible terrorist who MIGHT have knowledge of an attack that would kill hundreds?

And beyond that, how would you EVER hold the moral high ground against any enemy who treated captured Americans the same way?

My GOD...does being an American mean anything special anymore? Are we not BETTER than our enemies?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is making a terrorist watch this torture?

Tom Cruise Scientology Video - ( ORIGINAL UNCUT ) 9:34 min

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UFBZ_uAbxS0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UFBZ_uAbxS0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We have held a higher ground and we continue to. Do we pull fingernails out with pliers, cut off digits, drive nails through hands, hang people by their arms behind their backs? No, we ARE better than our enemies.

A little water doesn't hurt. It works without harm.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you FAILED to answer "yes" or "no"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i don't want to be buried on the high moral ground......

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a typical pile of shit this is! Taking the high road on your high horse as usual.

The day that you realize you are not better than anyone else or that you are not morally better, then maybe you will realize that the equations fits the "we" as well. Being the special American that you think you are certainly did not come from playing the book perfectly by the rules.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    you FAILED to answer "yes" or "no"
    sorry. no

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post

A little water doesn't hurt. It works without harm.
    Talk to people who've been water boarded @ SERE and other survival schools.

The bullshit from Bush and others had gotten so thick this year that it was the first issue I'd ever seen good junior, mid-grade and senior NCO's & officers up in arms about, willing to risk their career almost to write a letter asking SECDEF Gates to advise the President and the CIA hacks to experience waterboarding themselves and try to claim it wasn't torture then or just plain shut up about it.

Its amateur hour as usual in Washington. Its so bad now that in some Army units the mid-grade and above officers & NCO's have had to repeatedly and explicitly remind the youngn's that contrary to what they saw on 24 or heard some CIA agent say, torture is a no-no and doesn't work anyway.

You know its bad when the Army copped to flying some people to Hollyweird to beg the 24 producer to reduce the torture scenes on the show because of the damage that fantasy crap was causing.