Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    I care about terrorist threat but that doesn't mean I have to think it's in the same category of the revolution or WW1/2. It doesn't mean I should be so afraid that I would allow even the potential of my rights being stripped away from me by my own government without protest or comment.
    Let me get this straight---America has to play by rules that no one else is held to and if we get blown all to hell (and yes--a briefcase nuke would do that nicely) it's just too bad ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    Let me get this straight---America has to play by rules that no one else is held to and if we get blown all to hell
    If America is gona go round saying how much better she is than those who are not held to that standard then yes. Don't claim to be better than a terrorist if you aren't gona act any better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If America is gona go round saying how much better she is than those who are not held to that standard then yes. Don't claim to be better than a terrorist if you aren't gona act any better.
    If you don't believe that America is the most benevolent country in the world, you need to try living in Iran, North Korea, China -----------.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you don't believe that America is the most benevolent country in the world, you need to try living in Iran, North Korea, China -----------.
    I think we are benevolent when it's suits us and not when it doesn't. We've screwed plenty of people in the world over as well has helped many.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

What a poor comparison. Bush is grasping at straws. Why does he turn everything into a way to harp on his international policy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070219/...mWyQoByZqyFz4D

MOUNT VERNON, Va. - President Bush honored the 275th birthday of the nation's first president on Monday, likening George Washington's long struggle that gave birth to a nation to the war on global terrorism.

"Today, we're fighting a new war to defend our liberty and our people and our way of life," said Bush, standing in front of Washington's home and above a mostly frozen Potomac River.

"And as we work to advance the cause of freedom around the world, we remember that the father of our country believed that the freedoms we secured in our revolution were not meant for Americans alone."

Bush chose the national Presidents Day holiday to make his first visit as president to Mount Vernon. He and first lady Laura Bush helped lay a wreath at Washington's tomb, then the president gave a speech from a platform on the bowling green lawn of the estate.

"I feel right at home here. After all, this is the home of the first George W. I thank President Washington for welcoming us today. He doesn't look a day over 275 years old," Bush said to laughter.

Washington was born on Feb. 22, 1732.

"On the field of battle, Washington's forces were facing a mighty empire, and the odds against them were overwhelming. The ragged Continental Army lost more battles than it won, suffered waves of desertions, and stood on the brink of disaster many times. Yet George Washington's calm hand and determination kept the cause of independence and the principles of our Declaration alive," Bush said on a clear but frigid day, speaking to several hundred people.

Mount Vernon is about 16 miles south of the White House. Bush traveled by helicopter.

"In the end, General Washington understood that the Revolutionary War was a test of wills, and his will was unbreakable," said Bush. "After winning the war, Washington did what victorious leaders rarely did at the time. He voluntarily gave up power.

Washington's retirement didn't last long, Bush noted.

"As president, George Washington understood that his decisions would shape the future of our young nation and set precedent. He formed the first Cabinet, appointed the first judges, and issued the first veto."

"Over the centuries, America has succeeded because we have always tried to maintain the decency and the honor of our first president," Bush said.

Before and after Bush's speech, recorded music by the 3rd U.S. Infantry Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps blared through loudspeakers. Organizers of the event said the fife and drum corps had planned to perform live, but decided against it Sunday night because of expected temperatures in the 20s that could have damaged their historic instruments.
    I don't see that this article supports your allegations.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think we are benevolent when it's suits us and not when it doesn't. We've screwed plenty of people in the world over as well has helped many.
    Possibly as a government but as a people the generosity has poured out honestly many times over. Our enemies don't differentiate. I guess you don't either.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Possibly as a government but as a people the generosity has poured out honestly many times over.
    True
    Our enemies don't differentiate.
    I doubt they do, the people elct the government that makes the policy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I don't see that this article supports your allegations.
    Keep trying then.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

True

I doubt they do, the people elct the government that makes the policy.
    and you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Keep trying then.
    The only one "trying" is YOU. Yet another fanciful, unsupported allegation with no other purpose than to insult the President.

'Bout sums it up for me.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What policy did our government make that made us deserving of Islamo-facists declaring war on us and killing us ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Yet another fanciful, unsupported allegation with no other purpose than to insult the President.
    Really he didn't compare the war on terror to the American revolution, he didn't do it during a celebration of George Washington day to trumpet his own foreign policy. It somehow in your mind a great comparison and he’s a genius for thinking it up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What policy did our government make that made us deserving of Islamo-facists declaring war on us and killing us ?
    Never said that. You can't help but piss people off when your playing on the world stage. That's what happened here with the terrorists. They're attacks were not a justified responce to our actions IMO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never said that. You can't help but piss people off when your playing on the world stage. That's what happened here with the terrorists. They're attacks were not a justified responce to our actions IMO.
    What actions ??? Aren't terrorists capable of diplomacy if they have a beef with America ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

All wire tapping was done legally. The only thing done differently was the delay in getting a courts permission for expediency. And the wire taps were effective and broke up a number of terror attacks, including the one plotted in england to hijack planes and crash them into cities. they didn't listen in on random conversations, they checked for specific names and places.

There have been no Americans arrested and shipped off to secret prisons without trial or charges. All the ones being held have been captured on the battlefield and are foriegners. They are not POW's, they are enemy combatants because they were not fighting for a nation but for an ideology which wants to dominate the world. Any Americans held have been caught plotting to kill people like you, and they have been given due process.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.