Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mitt Romney Supports Assault Weapon Ban

I can't believe I hadn't heard about this. I absolutely will not vote for Mitt Romney, based on this plank of his platform. Frankly, no gun owners should vote for Mitt Romney.

From a transcript from April of last year:
    -------------
    MR. WALLACE: Governor Romney, in 1994 you said you were a stronger advocate of gay rights than Ted Kennedy. As recently as five years ago you still supported a woman's right to choose. And as governor you signed into law one of the toughest restrictions on assault weapons in the country. Are you a clear and consistent conservative?

MR. ROMNEY: Well, let's get the record straight. First of all, there's no question that I support Second Amendment rights, but I also support an assault weapon ban.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/15/us...nt&oref=slogin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    I can't believe I hadn't heard about this. I absolutely will not vote for Mitt Romney, based on this plank of his platform. Frankly, no gun owners should vote for Mitt Romney.

-------------
    MR. WALLACE: Governor Romney, in 1994 you said you were a stronger advocate of gay rights than Ted Kennedy. As recently as five years ago you still supported a woman's right to choose. And as governor you signed into law one of the toughest restrictions on assault weapons in the country. Are you a clear and consistent conservative?

MR. ROMNEY: Well, let's get the record straight. First of all, there's no question that I support Second Amendment rights, but I also support an assault weapon ban.

He was asked about this at the recent CNN debate in Florida, but I don't recall exactly what his response was. I believe he may have back peddled on that some. I'll have to look into it further, because this will dampen my support for him too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    He was asked about this at the recent CNN debate in Florida, but I don't recall exactly what his response was. I believe he may have back peddled on that some. I'll have to look into it further, because this will dampen my support for him too.
    he said he supported it in Massachusetts because it was a compromise between the pro gun lobby and the anti gun lobby in which more citizens were allowed access to weapons in which to exercise their rights in exchange for the assault weapons ban. He also said he wouldn't support any legislation proposed on the federal level.

yeah it's not exactly a thrilling answer. But he is still by far better than everyone else.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    he said he supported it in Massachusetts because it was a compromise between the pro gun lobby and the anti gun lobby in which more citizens were allowed access to weapons in which to exercise their rights in exchange for the assault weapons ban. He also said he wouldn't support any legislation proposed on the federal level.

yeah it's not exactly a thrilling answer. But he is still by far better than everyone else.
    Good summary avatar... that's pretty much it. Here's the word for word...

GOV. HUCKABEE: Mitt, I'd like to ask you a question that came up during your interview with Tim Russert on "Meet the Press," and it has to with the Second Amendment. You have indicated that you support Second Amendment, but on that interview, you indicated that you also supported a ban on so-called -- and I use the term "so-called" -- assault weapons and supported Brady.

For many of us who are strong adherents of the Second Amendment, that's not quite consistent, to say you're for Brady and so-called assault gun ban, but supported the Second Amendment, because we see that -- that's really a denial of the Second Amendment. I'd appreciate some clarification on do you support Brady, do you support the assault weapon ban, and your position on exactly what restrictions government should put on Second Amendment rights.

MR. ROMNEY: I do support the Second Amendment, and I believe that this is an individual right of citizens and not a right of government. And I hope the Supreme Court reaches that same conclusion.

I also, like the president, would have signed the assault weapon ban that came to his desk. I said I would have supported that and signed a similar bill in our state. It was a bill worked out, by the way, between pro-gun lobby and anti-gun lobby individuals. Both sides of the issue came together and found a way to provide relaxation in licensing requirements and allow more people to -- to have guns for their own legal purposes. And so we signed that in Massachusetts, and I said I'd -- I would would support that at the federal level, just as the president said he would. It did not pass at the federal level.

I do not believe we need new legislation.

I do not support any new legislation of an assault weapon ban nature, including that against semiautomatic weapons. I instead believe that we have laws in place that, if they're implemented and enforced, will provide the protection and the safety of the American people. But I do not support any new legislation, and I do support the right of individuals to bear arms, whether for hunting purposes or for protection purposes or any other reasons. That's the right that people have.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/24/us...gewanted=print

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post

I agree and am too a gun owner.... but I dont' vote for a candidate or not vote for them based on a single issue...

So he's still tops right now in my book...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oJ6-ySOUnrY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oJ6-ySOUnrY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So which is it? Does he support the asault weapons ban or not?

"I also, like the president, would have signed the assault weapon ban that came to his desk. I said I would have supported that and signed a similar bill in our state. It was a bill worked out, by the way, between pro-gun lobby and anti-gun lobby individuals. Both sides of the issue came together and found a way to provide relaxation in licensing requirements and allow more people to -- to have guns for their own legal purposes. And so we signed that in Massachusetts, and I said I'd -- I would would support that at the federal level, just as the president said he would. It did not pass at the federal level.

I do not believe we need new legislation.

I do not support any new legislation of an assault weapon ban nature,"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's more:

<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5pcDA9sZES0&rel=1&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5pcDA9sZES0&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This could turn into a pretty big snag for Mitt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    This could turn into a pretty big snag for Mitt.
    I don't think so - the other candidates have far heavier baggage to sort out than this one issue for Mitt IMO....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ....................

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post

-------------

So he pulled a Giuliani then. Multiple Choice Mitt strikes again.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

What exactly is so wrong with supporting an assault weapons ban???????????????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    I don't think so - the other candidates have far heavier baggage to sort out than this one issue for Mitt IMO....
    I have to agree with you Cp. Romney is the only guy in the running with a chance for the Presidency against the Hill or Barry. He will be picking Supreme Court nominees which is much more important than how he felt about assault weapons in 1994 as Governor.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    I guess there is the thought of a slippery slope that would some how end up in a ban on guns in general. I say a death penalty for anyone committing a crime with an automatic weapon, seems simple enough.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Because our 2nd amendment rights grant us the liberty to lawfully own them, that's why it's wrong to go against the constitution in the form of a state or federal ban...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    I guess there is the thought of a slippery slope that would some how end up in a ban on guns in general. I say a death penalty for anyone committing a crime with an automatic weapon, seems simple enough.
    Actually, automatic weapons are already illegal..

The assault weapons in reference are all sold to the public in their semi-automatic format..