Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Mardi Gras in N.O.??? Exactly how insane is it to go?

Knowing what we know about New Orleans, it's geography, the fact that on Mardi Gras day they pack a million people downtown(a high percentage drunk), the proximity of the Mississippi River to downtown....would any of you even consider going.

I was speaking to a friend last night and discussing just how vulnerable it is to an attack that could easily be the biggest disaster imaginable, a disaster that would make Katrina a meaningless joke.

30 years ago, standing in Jackson Square, looking towards the Mississippi and seeing three quarters of a very large ship going by I realized just how bad of a position I was in. I was looking up at a ship that was way above my head, at the very least twenty - thirty feet, I decided then I would never go back. Now, when very evil people look for targets that would be seen by the world and do as much damage as possible with one act, Mardi Gras in New Orleans seems too perfect.

I hope that this isn't something that happens but it is definitely a chance I would never think of taking.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just the million drunk people is enough to keep me away.
    Blessed be Your name, when the sun's shining down on me, when the world's "all as it should be," blessed be Your name!
    Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be Your name!
    Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise. When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...
    Blessed be the name of the Lord!
    Blessed be Your name!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I'd go. And if Mary went, I'd expect her to get a LOT of beads.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
    Same here, I've never had a desire to go, in fact I've had overnight trips to NO and never left the hotel. Mr. P is boring.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Same here, I've never had a desire to go, in fact I've had overnight trips to NO and never left the hotel. Mr. P is boring.
    Naw...just OLD...not boring.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd love to go back to NO someday and dine in some of their renowned restaurants such as K Paul's.

The one time I went there, I remember during the cab ride from the airport we drove past a levee (one of the ones that got breached during Katrina, I believe) where the water level inside the levees was higher than the rooftops of nearby houses. That gave me the creeps.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    I'd love to go back to NO someday and dine in some of their renowned restaurants such as K Paul's.

The one time I went there, I remember during the cab ride from the airport we drove past a levee (one of the ones that got breached during Katrina, I believe) where the water level inside the levees was higher than the rooftops of nearby houses. That gave me the creeps.

Did you flash anybody?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would have liked to have gone to NO (NOT during Mardi Gras), before Katrina. Some of the architecture there was beautiful. I wonder how much of it is gone forever and how much will be restored.
    Blessed be Your name, when the sun's shining down on me, when the world's "all as it should be," blessed be Your name!
    Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be Your name!
    Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise. When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...
    Blessed be Your name!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    Knowing what we know about New Orleans, it's geography, the fact that on Mardi Gras day they pack a million people downtown(a high percentage drunk), the proximity of the Mississippi River to downtown....would any of you even consider going.

I was speaking to a friend last night and discussing just how vulnerable it is to an attack that could easily be the biggest disaster imaginable, a disaster that would make Katrina a meaningless joke.

30 years ago, standing in Jackson Square, looking towards the Mississippi and seeing three quarters of a very large ship going by I realized just how bad of a position I was in. I was looking up at a ship that was way above my head, at the very least twenty - thirty feet, I decided then I would never go back. Now, when very evil people look for targets that would be seen by the world and do as much damage as possible with one act, Mardi Gras in New Orleans seems too perfect.

I hope that this isn't something that happens but it is definitely a chance I would never think of taking.
    I'll go if I'm allowed to bring a knife and a pistol to protect myself from all the criminals festering down there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I would have liked to have gone to NO (NOT during Mardi Gras), before Katrina. Some of the architecture there was beautiful. I wonder how much of it is gone forever and how much will be restored.
    If you went, would you flash anybody?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    If you went, would you flash anybody?
    Not a chance. Not willingly.
    Blessed be Your name!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Not a chance. Not willingly.
    I dunno - peer-pressure...a little alcohol...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Did you flash anybody?

Ah, nope. Though I thought clothing should have been optional, since it was the middle of summer and hotter than hell. And humid to boot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's amazing. We essentially saw a city destroyed in one day and people havent learned a thing from it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Exactly!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey