Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default US military not ready for attack

Lucky the chance of us really being attacked is low but if we were, we would hafta pull the troops from iraq and end it to fight another war.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080131/...8RN4vNj0UDW7oF

WASHINGTON - The U.S. military isn't ready for a catastrophic attack on the country, and National Guard forces don't have the equipment or training they need for the job, according to a report.

Even fewer Army National Guard units are combat-ready today than were nearly a year ago when the Commission on the National Guard and Reserves determined that 88 percent of the units were not prepared for the fight, the panel says in a new report released Thursday.

The independent commission is charged by Congress to recommend changes in law and policy concerning the Guard and Reserves.

The commission's 400-page report concludes that the nation "does not have sufficient trained, ready forces available" to respond to a chemical, biological or nuclear weapons incident, "an appalling gap that places the nation and its citizens at greater risk."

"Right now we don't have the forces we need, we don't have them trained, we don't have the equipment," commission Chairman Arnold Punaro said in an interview with The Associated Press. "Even though there is a lot going on in this area, we need to do a lot more. ... There's a lot of things in the pipeline, but in the world we live in — you're either ready or you're not."
    Punaro, a retired Marine Corps major general, had sharp criticism for Northern Command, saying that commanders there have made little progress developing detailed response plans for attacks against the homeland.

"NorthCom has got to get religion in this area," said Punaro. He said the military needs to avoid "pickup game" type responses, such as the much-criticized federal reaction to Hurricane Katrina, and put in place the kind of detailed plans that exist for virtually any international crisis.

He also underscored the commission's main finding: the Pentagon must move toward making the National Guard and Reserves an integral part of the U.S. military.

The panel, in its No. 1 recommendation, said the Defense Department must use the nation's citizen soldiers to create an operational force that would be fully trained, equipped and ready to defend the nation, respond to crises and supplement the active duty troops in combat.

Pointing to the continued strain on the military, as it fights wars on two fronts, the panel said the U.S. has "no reasonable alternative" other than to continue to rely heavily on the reserves to supplement the active duty forces both at home and abroad.

Using reserves as a permanent, ready force, the commission argued, is a much more cost effective way to supplement the military since they are about 70 percent cheaper than active duty troops.

Asked how much it would cost to implement the panel's recommendations, Punaro said it will take billions to fully equip the Guard. The commission is going to ask the Congressional Budget Office to do a cost analysis, he said.

In perhaps its most controversial recommendation, the panel again said that the nation's governors should be given the authority to direct active-duty troops responding to an emergency in their states. That recommendation, when it first surfaced last year, was rebuffed by the military and quickly rejected by Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Who would be stupid enough to attack a country with so many privately owned firearms and citizens and former military folks that know how to use them?

Don't you just LOVE the benefits of the second amendment?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you think the people presenting this information hope to gain?

Do you suppose it is a we must blame Bush for the homeland not being secure or we should blame war for the fact that the homeland isn't secure?

What is the reason for the post?

The facts are the military and the reserve military forces primary purpose is to fight war(s). We are using the military force exactly for their designed reason for existence. So why post the article?

The army NG and AR in a planned war with a European style large scale war would leave their equipment behind. In Europe there are equipment stockpiles of equipment for each and every AR, NG and stateside Active Component fighting force... thousands and tens of thousands of vehicles, tanks and so on just waiting for war. In the case of the wars in the ME it was necessary to deploy with equipment since we had no prepositioned equipment. My guess is that there will soon be a prepositioned equipment stockpile in the ME and Africa since we are opening an Africa Command that will do away with the necessity to deploy troops with their home equipment.

The replacements are in the pipeline as the article states. So, what is the purpose of the article?
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    ---Thomas Jefferson (or as Al Sharpton calls him: Grandpappy)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a massive military invasion of foreign forces would invade the US:

from where?

how would the get here?

ya right.......

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post

from where?

how would the get here?

ya right.......
    Mexico by walking and military vehicle as they are doing now.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    ---Thomas Jefferson (or as Al Sharpton calls him: Grandpappy)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post

from where?

how would the get here?

ya right.......
    Through Mex-ico? Sir.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dangit Class you beat me too it.

or it could be all of the ppl already here. they are just waiting for the signal! oh no's!!!
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Who would be stupid enough to attack a country with so many privately owned firearms and citizens and former military folks that know how to use them?
    An attack, as in a bomb detonated or planes flown into buildings does not require an invasion. We couldn't respond with a ground war in the country supporting it without open troops to send.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    An attack, as in a bomb detonated or planes flown into buildings does not require an invasion. We couldn't respond with a ground war in the country supporting it without open troops to send.
    and how could we defend against that even if our troops were here? i say one of the things that has helped not being attacked here is us over there disrupting their training camps and everything. even though it does suck with us over there.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

having troops here would simply give us more options to retaliate to it. Like as said in the first post, lucky for us no ones gona be invading us anytime soon or this would be a problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ah gotcha. but in the same breath let me say, it doesn't take very many troops to retaliate with missle or bomber strikes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes we could and would, believe that.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Standard US policy is to soften up you intended target with air power. I do believe the Air Force and the Navy are supporting the errorts in the ME but not with the majority of their forces. And the majority of the troops being used from those are the Special Forces. We have the ability to strike back anywhere in the world and do it immediately. There are wings of aircraft just waiting to fly around the world and drop the most accurate munitions known to man.

AF
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybone View Post
    and how could we defend against that even if our troops were here? i say one of the things that has helped not being attacked here is us over there disrupting their training camps and everything. even though it does suck with us over there.
    our troops were here and there we three successfull attacks in a decade....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

having troops here would simply give us more options to retaliate to it. Like as said in the first post, lucky for us no ones gona be invading us anytime soon or this would be a problem.
    as my rehtorical questions pointed out.....we have already been invade by 12 million imigration felons and we are losing the economic war they are waging against us....

anyone rember the economic war reagan waged against the soviet union and the results of that war?

~Albert Camus