Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Soldier pleads in Iraqi rape, slaying

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070221/...PKBQfofShvzwcF

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. - A U.S. soldier pleaded guilty Tuesday to rape and murder in the death of a 14-year-old girl and her family last year in Iraq. A judge has not yet accepted the plea.

The military court still must decide whether the killings were premeditated and will hear evidence Wednesday.

The court will consider whether Sgt. Paul E. Cortez, 24, of Barstow, Calif., should be found guilty of premeditated murder and whether he is guilty of conspiracy to commit premeditated murder, defense lawyer William Cassara said Tuesday.

In a plea agreement read in court Tuesday, Cortez said he conspired with three other soldiers — Pfc. Jesse V. Spielman, Spc. James P. Barker and Steven D. Green, who has since been discharged — to rape the girl, 14-year-old Abeer Qassim al-Janabi.

According to the plea deal, Cortez, Spielman and Barker illegally went into the home of the girl's family in Mahmoudiya, and Cortez held her while Barker raped her. While Cortez raped her, Green shot and killed the girl's parents and younger sister, the agreement said.

Cortez then acted as a lookout while Green raped the girl, and Green shot her, the document said. Cortez helped burn the girl's body and the home, then burned his clothes.

Spielman threw the AK-47 used to kill the family in a canal, the deal said. Cortez also admitted to drinking whiskey before going to the home, which broke the Army's rules against drinking alcohol.

Cortez was charged with premeditated murder, conspiracy to premeditated murder, rape and conspiracy to rape but pleaded guilty to murder, rape and conspiracy to rape. The judge, Col. Stephen R. Henley, adjourned the case until Wednesday.

Cortez kept his eyes down during the proceeding except when he was addressing Henley.

Another soldier has already pleaded guilty in the case, and an ex-soldier accused of being the ringleader is awaiting trial in civilian court. Two other soldiers await courts-martial. All the suspected participants are or were members of the 101st Airborne Division, based at Fort Campbell on the Kentucky-Tennessee border.

The March 2006 killing of the family was originally reported to be the work of insurgents. Later, soldiers told their superiors of their suspicion that U.S. soldiers were involved. The deaths are considered among the worst in a series of alleged atrocities by U.S. military personnel in Iraq.

Barker, 24, pleaded guilty in November to rape and murder and was sentenced to 90 years in military prison. Spielman, 22, and Bryan L. Howard, 23, await courts-martial. Howard, who is confined to the post, was in the courtroom Tuesday observing Cortez's case.

Spielman's attorneys have said they can prove that he was not involved in rape and murder.

Green is charged in federal court in Kentucky, accused of being the ringleader. He is being tried as a civilian because he was discharged from the Army before his superiors were aware of his suspected involvement.

(Corrects spelling of girl's name to Abeer Qassim al-Janabi, not Quassim, as stated in earlier version.)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070221/...PKBQfofShvzwcF

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. - A U.S. soldier pleaded guilty Tuesday to rape and murder in the death of a 14-year-old girl and her family last year in Iraq. A judge has not yet accepted the plea.

The military court still must decide whether the killings were premeditated and will hear evidence Wednesday.

The court will consider whether Sgt. Paul E. Cortez, 24, of Barstow, Calif., should be found guilty of premeditated murder and whether he is guilty of conspiracy to commit premeditated murder, defense lawyer William Cassara said Tuesday.

In a plea agreement read in court Tuesday, Cortez said he conspired with three other soldiers — Pfc. Jesse V. Spielman, Spc. James P. Barker and Steven D. Green, who has since been discharged — to rape the girl, 14-year-old Abeer Qassim al-Janabi.

According to the plea deal, Cortez, Spielman and Barker illegally went into the home of the girl's family in Mahmoudiya, and Cortez held her while Barker raped her. While Cortez raped her, Green shot and killed the girl's parents and younger sister, the agreement said.

Cortez then acted as a lookout while Green raped the girl, and Green shot her, the document said. Cortez helped burn the girl's body and the home, then burned his clothes.

Spielman threw the AK-47 used to kill the family in a canal, the deal said. Cortez also admitted to drinking whiskey before going to the home, which broke the Army's rules against drinking alcohol.

Cortez was charged with premeditated murder, conspiracy to premeditated murder, rape and conspiracy to rape but pleaded guilty to murder, rape and conspiracy to rape. The judge, Col. Stephen R. Henley, adjourned the case until Wednesday.

Cortez kept his eyes down during the proceeding except when he was addressing Henley.

Another soldier has already pleaded guilty in the case, and an ex-soldier accused of being the ringleader is awaiting trial in civilian court. Two other soldiers await courts-martial. All the suspected participants are or were members of the 101st Airborne Division, based at Fort Campbell on the Kentucky-Tennessee border.

The March 2006 killing of the family was originally reported to be the work of insurgents. Later, soldiers told their superiors of their suspicion that U.S. soldiers were involved. The deaths are considered among the worst in a series of alleged atrocities by U.S. military personnel in Iraq.

Barker, 24, pleaded guilty in November to rape and murder and was sentenced to 90 years in military prison. Spielman, 22, and Bryan L. Howard, 23, await courts-martial. Howard, who is confined to the post, was in the courtroom Tuesday observing Cortez's case.

Spielman's attorneys have said they can prove that he was not involved in rape and murder.

Green is charged in federal court in Kentucky, accused of being the ringleader. He is being tried as a civilian because he was discharged from the Army before his superiors were aware of his suspected involvement.

(Corrects spelling of girl's name to Abeer Qassim al-Janabi, not Quassim, as stated in earlier version.)

So what's your point?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do I need a point for. I thought it was an interesting story, I posted it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

What do I need a point for. I thought it was an interesting story, I posted it.
    You don't really understand the concept of message board debate, do you? Anyone can post a story.

So yeah, you're supposed to have a point.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most boards I've been on don't demand a point before you post and like i said saw no rules. I posted to see what thers had to see and if I disagreed jump in, that was my point.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Most boards I've been on don't demand a point before you post and like i said saw no rules. I posted to see what thers had to see and if I disagreed jump in, that was my point.
    So you posted an article to troll the responses? Wow. I'm impressed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, I could care less. Did you post on my thread to troll me and take this thread off topic?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If he's guilty, he deserves the punishment he gets.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Wow, I could care less. Did you post on my thread to troll me and take this thread off topic?
    The thread belongs to the board, not you. The question is relative to the thread; therefore, the topic as well.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

If you COULD care less that means you DO care to some extent. "I Could care less" means there is within you a modicum of caring which COULD be less than the amount you currently Care. Now, if you "Couldn't" care less, it means there is NO AMOUNT of caring within you which could, in fact, be LESS than the amount of caring you currently possess.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    If you COULD care less that means you DO care to some extent. "I Could care less" means there is within you a modicum of caring which COULD be less than the amount you currently Care. Now, if you "Couldn't" care less, it means there is NO AMOUNT of caring within you which could, in fact, be LESS than the amount of caring you currently possess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mr. Nal... paging Mr. A. Nal...

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    Mr. Nal... paging Mr. A. Nal...
    Why do you want A. Nal? Why would you CALL for A.Nal? Sorta creeps me out man...no offense...homo...

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why do you want A. Nal? Why would you CALL for A.Nal? Sorta creeps me out man...no offense...homo...

Don't judge me, fascist!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    Don't judge me, fascist!
    Once you go fascist, you never go back. I WISH I could have found a way to make that rhyme.