Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Usenet Browser?

Hi, anyone remember usenet? It was like the dinosaurs of modern message boards. Well they are still out there and are really good for specialized communication.

Problem is that to get on with it you need software that will connect to an NNTP server so you can download, read, post etc.

I've been using outlook express. It sucks. Can anyone recommend any other newsreader software? OE has gotten on my last nerve. But, Usenet is too good a resource to simply blow it off.

Thanks in Advance.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think at one point i was using get right for the news groups but that was a long time ago and i mostly used it to download from the groups
    a lot dont actually have message posts but lots of zips and rars it became popular again when broad band knocked it up a notch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you're using Windows then I don't think you can go past XNews (just Google it, totally free, no spyware, decodes Yenc). If you use Linux then I think Pan is the most useful.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I can vouch for Xnews even though I use Forte Agent now. I like an independent client rather than the crap built into browser/email programs.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock