Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lance View Post
    Got out of Lackland (home of USAF Basic Military Training for you non-airmen) in December. I am now stationed at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, TX. I am in technical school, training for my three skill level. I am going to be a maintanence management systems analyst, assuming of course that I don't give into the temptation to enter some codes into the computer "by hand".
    POLITICAL ACTIVISTS CREED
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in people's minds" -Samuel Adams

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
    stand ready to do violence on their behalf."~George Orwell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I say all our veterans deserve more respect, and not just words, gaurantreed jobs, and career training, free health care for life and other benefits, they risked our lives, the least we can do is make their return to civilian life more comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by 82Marine89 View Post
    to all of you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post

I say all our veterans deserve more respect, and not just words, gaurantreed jobs, and career training, free health care for life and other benefits, they risked our lives, the least we can do is make their return to civilian life more comfortable

to all of you
    Thank you.
    If ya can't prove it, don't say it.
    Bikes, babes, and beer, it don't get no better than that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lance View Post
    Got out of Lackland (home of USAF Basic Military Training for you non-airmen) in December. I am now stationed at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, TX. I am in technical school, training for my three skill level. I am going to be a maintanence management systems analyst, assuming of course that I don't give into the temptation to enter some codes into the computer "by hand".
    Aaaahh yes... Lackland AFB... "The Gateway To The Air Force,"... been there, done that. Loved it. I recommend the Air Force to anyone. Best chow halls of any branch. I ALWAYS ate breakfast on base. For a buck and a quarter I could get a huge omelet, toast, bacon, hash browns with sausage country gravy, (SOS), and three glasses of grape juice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Aaaahh yes... Lackland AFB... "The Gateway To The Air Force,"... been there, done that. Loved it. I recommend the Air Force to anyone. Best chow halls of any branch. I ALWAYS ate breakfast on base. For a buck and a quarter I could get a huge omelet, toast, bacon, hash browns with sausage country gravy, (SOS), and three glasses of grape juice.
    I used to eat at the Generals' mess hall at Ft. Bragg, it was good but couldn't hold a candle to the AF enlisted mess hall.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    No offense Pale Rider, but if you "loved" BMT, then either the program was much easier back in your day, or you must be something of a masachist. Being at tech school and surrounded by NPS (or "pipeline") tech school students most of the day I have heard many new airmen discuss their BMT experience, and while opinions do vary, adjectives like "fun" or "loved it" don't come up often.

I agree entirely about the food though. I have been on active duty since November, and I have never eaten a bad meal at Lackland or Sheppard AFB. It's the one advantage we non-priors have over the TDY students in our class.
    Last edited by Black Lance; 02-02-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    "Let me at least not die without a struggle, inglorious, but having done some big thing first, for men to come to know of." - Hector

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

USAF July 1966 - July 1970

I enlisted to stay out of the draft AND Viet nam and when I was stationed in Bermuda for a three year tour, thought I had accomplished my goal. Six months later, they closed the base, so me and this other fool decided to volunteer for nam and off we went...

We arrived in country at Tan Son Nhut AB (Saigon) in October '67 and found that the base commander had had all the sand bags removed from around the buildings and replaced them with flower beds... and all the weapons were locked up... it was just like stateside duty... only worse...

My job was manifesting passengers for their flights up country and then transporting either them or their baggage out to the aircraft, and then picking up either for return to the terminal. IF you went thru TSN between Oct 67 and late Jan '68, chances are good that I may have transported you...

I went on a couple of mobilities, resupplying the warriors with the tools of their trade... ammo... You Called, We Hauled... and decided that that was far better duty than what I was doing so I volunteered to be on permanent mobility... best thing I did while in country... not only was I finally issued a weapon, but I was surrounded by the 3rd Brigade of the Big Red One!

I spent almost half my tour there...

Much to my surprize, when I signed up for VA health benefits last year, that the area I was in was heavily sprayed with Agent Orange... I go for my Agent Orange protocol testing next week and I have to say... I'm a tad apprehensive about it... not that I fear I have any of the myriad of diseases that are associated with AO exposure... I am just apprehensive about the test itself...

Any of y'all had it?

This year, I joined a local group of Viet Nam veterans dedicated to helping other veterans... I will keep y'all apprised of our activities, should you wish to hear about them.
    Lost your job? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your house? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your life savings? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your health care? Thank the republicans!
    Lost all Hope? Thank the republicans!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheStripey1 View Post

I enlisted to stay out of the draft AND Viet nam and when I was stationed in Bermuda for a three year tour, thought I had accomplished my goal. Six months later, they closed the base, so me and this other fool decided to volunteer for nam and off we went...

We arrived in country at Tan Son Nhut AB (Saigon) in October '67 and found that the base commander had had all the sand bags removed from around the buildings and replaced them with flower beds... and all the weapons were locked up... it was just like stateside duty... only worse...

My job was manifesting passengers for their flights up country and then transporting either them or their baggage out to the aircraft, and then picking up either for return to the terminal. IF you went thru TSN between Oct 67 and late Jan '68, chances are good that I may have transported you...

I went on a couple of mobilities, resupplying the warriors with the tools of their trade... ammo... You Called, We Hauled... and decided that that was far better duty than what I was doing so I volunteered to be on permanent mobility... best thing I did while in country... not only was I finally issued a weapon, but I was surrounded by the 3rd Brigade of the Big Red One!

Much to my surprize, when I signed up for VA health benefits last year, that the area I was in was heavily sprayed with Agent Orange... I go for my Agent Orange protocol testing next week and I have to say... I'm a tad apprehensive about it... not that I fear I have any of the myriad of diseases that are associated with AO exposure... I am just apprehensive about the test itself...

Any of y'all had it?

This year, I joined a local group of Viet Nam veterans dedicated to helping other veterans... I will keep y'all apprised of our activities, should you wish to hear about them.
    Hey, good luck on that Agent Orange testing and please do keep us apprised.
    We were all in together at one time or another, no reason to change that now. Tis a bond that can't be broken.
    Last edited by Mr. P; 03-05-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Any of y'all had it?

Have you visited here?

I take my students here. It's also my dad's division from WWII at Omaha. They have a great exhibit of that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

US Navy: Rank MM3 (machinist's Mate 3rd class)

Stationed on the USS Bataan LHD-5, amphibious carrier (gator freighter). 1997-2000, medical discharge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Hey, good luck on that Agent Orange testing and please do keep us apprised.
    We were all in together at one time or another, no reason to change that now. Tis a bond that can't be broken.
    Thanks, P... that means a lot...

and about the test... I go tomorrow... hoo boy...

The Health book they gave me at the VA talks about some of the symptoms of PTSD and some of the things we can do to help alliviate them... one of them was helping others...

So I'd rather talk about the vets group and the all projects we are involved with... perhaps a different thread would be in order... yeah... a different thread...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Have you visited here?

I take my students here. It's also my dad's division from WWII at Omaha. They have a great exhibit of that.
    No... but I have now, and I bookmarked it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

No... but I have now, and I bookmarked it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, P... that means a lot...

and about the test... I go tomorrow... hoo boy...

The Health book they gave me at the VA talks about some of the symptoms of PTSD and some of the things we can do to help alliviate them... one of them was helping others...

So I'd rather talk about the vets group and the all projects we are involved with... perhaps a different thread would be in order... yeah... a different thread...

ok... the part of the test I was most dreading did NOT take place... the colonoscopy... instead, it was mostly a discussion with the doc about my medical history and a furthur discussion about what the earlier blood tests had shown...

so far I do NOT have any of the diseases associated with Agent Orange exposure... that's a big load off my mind, I have to say... and I slept like a baby last night...

they did take more blood though... I sure hope I have some left... and urine too... and X-Rays and then sometime in the future, I'll have the colonoscopy... but until then, I'm good to go...

IF you are a Viet Nam vet and have not had your AO testing yet...
    head on down to the VA and git'r dun... ya heah?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

ok... the part of the test I was most dreading did NOT take place... the colonoscopy... instead, it was mostly a discussion with the doc about my medical history and a furthur discussion about what the earlier blood tests had shown...

so far I do NOT have any of the diseases associated with Agent Orange exposure... that's a big load off my mind, I have to say... and I slept like a baby last night...

they did take more blood though... I sure hope I have some left... and urine too... and X-Rays and then sometime in the future, I'll have the colonoscopy... but until then, I'm good to go...

IF you are a Viet Nam vet and have not had your AO testing yet...
    head on down to the VA and git'r dun... ya heah?

"Ya, git'r dun! !!!!!!!!!!!"

Above the Best