Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I echo what Sassylady says, but want to keep in mind that Memorial Day is to honor those that are gone; Veteran's Day is the one to honor all that have served:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m7UglB_G3zs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Last year:

http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/201...rial-day-2010/

Memorial Day 2010

Posted by SWJ Editors on May 30, 2010 5:08 PM | Permalink| Print |

HEADQUARTERS GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC

General Orders No.11, WASHINGTON, D.C., May 5, 1868

I. The 30th day of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet church-yard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.

We are organized, comrades, as our regulations tell us, for the purpose among other things, "of preserving and strengthening those kind and fraternal feelings which have bound together the soldiers, sailors, and marines who united to suppress the late rebellion." What can aid more to assure this result than cherishing tenderly the memory of our heroic dead, who made their breasts a barricade between our country and its foes? Their soldier lives were the reveille of freedom to a race in chains, and their deaths the tattoo of rebellious tyranny in arms. We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. All that the consecrated wealth and taste of the nation can add to their adornment and security is but a fitting tribute to the memory of her slain defenders. Let no wanton foot tread rudely on such hallowed grounds. Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and fond mourners. Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided republic.

If our eyes grow dull, other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remain to us.

Let us, then, at the time appointed gather around their sacred remains and garland the passionless mounds above them with the choicest flowers of spring-time; let us raise above them the dear old flag they saved from dishonor; let us in this solemn presence renew our pledges to aid and assist those whom they have left among us a sacred charge upon a nation's gratitude, the soldier's and sailor's widow and orphan.

II. It is the purpose of the Commander-in-Chief to inaugurate this observance with the hope that it will be kept up from year to year, while a survivor of the war remains to honor the memory of his departed comrades. He earnestly desires the public press to lend its friendly aid in bringing to the notice of comrades in all parts of the country in time for simultaneous compliance therewith.

III. Department commanders will use efforts to make this order effective.

By order of

JOHN A. LOGAN,
    Commander-in-Chief

N.P. CHIPMAN,
    Adjutant General

Official:
    WM. T. COLLINS, A.A.G.

-----

On the morning of August 16, 2005, as my wife Retta and I sat with Wes and Abbey just after breaking the news to them of Mikes death earler that morning, then 13 year old Abbey buried her head into my shoulder, sobbing these words: "he was supposed to chase away my first boyfriend, he was supposed to cheer at my graduation from high school, he was supposed to be an uncle to my children..." These words seared my heart, broken as it was. I shall never forget them. She lost her oldest brother that day, her "Bubs" which she called him short for his nickname, Bubba.

-- Mudville Gazette

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

If you read the last post, you noticed the reference to the Mudville site. Here's a bit more, grab a hankie:

http://www.mudvillegazette.com/033688.html

...But none of these things are why Abbey Stokely was last to graduate with her class tonight. Abbey Stokely graduated last tonight because she was the Valedictorian and by tradition the last to receive her diploma and graduate. Before rising to give her speech to send her classmates into the future, she watched with bittersweet pride as a member of Thomas Broadwater's family came forward to receive his diploma posthumously. Then, she nailed her speech in front of thousands of friends, family and strangers. Just as she finished, a downpour hit and drenched the graduates and the crowd. A mile away not a drop.

I first wondered why it rained there. But then, as I saw the rising full moon emerge from behind the clouds, The same Moon over Yusufiyah I watched night after night as Mike served in Iraq, even as I prayed for his safety and wished to feel close to him, knowing he had seen the same moon 8 hours before. It was then I wondered if it was Mike's tears of joy and pride for his sister that had just drenched us all.

firstandlast.jpg

The Moon over Yusufiyah was shining bright over Sharpsburg tonight.

And I was reminded again that the highest cost of Freedom is A Lifetime of Love.

Robert Stokely
    proud dad of Abbey Stokely, Wes Stokely
    and Mike Stokely KIA 16 AUG 05 near Yusufiyah Iraq.
    Ok, you need to go to the site to read, while tempted to break the rules and post the whole article, alas, I can't. I'm telling you, hankies needed!

a bit more:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mNA0oovayLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

9+ years E-5 in the ARNG, most of it on some kind of active status, not the traditional ARNG soldier

2002-2005 | 216th MI CO
    -Intel Analyst (OIF III)

2006 - Present | A BSTB 116 CAV BDE
    -UAS Standardization-Instructor Operator (OND)
    "A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."

Traveling Templar - 14MAY2017

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

22 years full time Arkansas National Guard. Retired last year as an O-4. MP. Served in Iraq twice, spent 6 months along the southern border in 2006, and in between worked full time on a multi service drug task force. .

Glad to have served, glad to be out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I joined the Marine Corps in May of last year and graduated from recruit training on April 6, 2012.

I've tried to change some of my ways since I was talking to some of you on here a couple of years ago, and want to say that I'm sorry for the verbally abusive way that I interacted with a lot of the members here.
    The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening. -Peter Kropotkin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    I joined the Marine Corps in May of last year and graduated from recruit training on April 6, 2012.

I've tried to change some of my ways since I was talking to some of you on here a couple of years ago, and want to say that I'm sorry for the verbally abusive way that I interacted with a lot of the members here.
    Holy Crap! Thanks for your service and I mean that sincerely!

To say I found your previous postings/style somewhat annoying would be an understatement. Doing what you are doing has restored my hope in the youth of America. I do not excpect everyone to agree on everything all the time but there is a reasonable and logical way to discuss issues without arrogance, abuse, etc. March on, Marine! I got your back (as much as I can from this piece of the internet).
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

No need to apologize, at least from my perspective. I don't recall you being a troll, but rather giving as good as you got. Words get a little wiser as we get older, and I'm banking the Marine Corps will get ya there even faster!

Congratulations, Marine.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Congratulations Marine. I doubt you'll have much time for messages boards as your going to be going into some sort of advanced training. Got a specialty picked out?
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Holy Crap! Thanks for your service and I mean that sincerely!

To say I found your previous postings/style somewhat annoying would be an understatement. Doing what you are doing has restored my hope in the youth of America. I do not excpect everyone to agree on everything all the time but there is a reasonable and logical way to discuss issues without arrogance, abuse, etc. March on, Marine! I got your back (as much as I can from this piece of the internet).
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    No need to apologize, at least from my perspective. I don't recall you being a troll, but rather giving as good as you got. Words get a little wiser as we get older, and I'm banking the Marine Corps will get ya there even faster!

Congratulations, Marine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post

Congratulations Marine. I doubt you'll have much time for messages boards as your going to be going into some sort of advanced training. Got a specialty picked out?
    Thanks, gentlemen; that means a lot to me, especially to hear from some veterans. My military occupational field is infantry (0300), and my specific MOS will be determined at the School of Infantry.
    The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening. -Peter Kropotkin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Arkansas National Guard 1988-2010.

Retired as a Major.

Deployed to Kuwaiit/Iraq 1991
    Iraq 2003
    Texas/Mexico border 2006

Boot camp in Ft Dix , what a hell hole. Two glorious summers spent at Benning. I was military police.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Congratulations young man!! I find this most fitting for you.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I marked the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Thanks to All of You for Your Service. I salute you!

I've only been a member since Friday, and was directed here to check-in.

I think I am older than most all of you since I first joined the navy in May of 1964, at 17 years old.
    I'll make it short. I retired from the Navy in August of 1995 as an E-7.
    For those of you from the Army, Air Force, and Marines. I was a Navy Chief.
    I had broken service, which explains why after so long. I was able to become a Chief since I had to start over...as Prior-Service, without going back to Boot camp.
    I listed my many ships during my Introduction. But they were many, and Sea Duty was a priority for most of my 5 enlistments.
    Thanks to all of you during this Memorial Day weekend...for helping to remember All Who Gave so that We might celebrate our Freedom to be here.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post

Semper Fi from an Old Sailor, father of a Marine, and Army Helo pilot.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    I've only been a member since Friday, and was directed here to check-in.

I think I am older than most all of you since I first joined the navy in May of 1964, at 17 years old.
    I'll make it short. I retired from the Navy in August of 1995 as an E-7.
    For those of you from the Army, Air Force, and Marines. I was a Navy Chief.
    I had broken service, which explains why after so long. I was able to become a Chief since I had to start over...as Prior-Service, without going back to Boot camp.
    I listed my many ships during my Introduction. But they were many, and Sea Duty was a priority for most of my 5 enlistments.
    Thanks to all of you during this Memorial Day weekend...for helping to remember All Who Gave so that We might celebrate our Freedom to be here.
    Thank you for your service. Thank you for being older than me by a decade! LOL!