Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Prevailing Problem Mentality

As I watch this unbelievably long and stupid election cycle, and I see so many things people demand from their politicians, I fail to grasp why. I see people express their views of right and wrong only to be shouted down by someone foaming at the mouth about forcing morals or some such nonsense. Eventually, it hit me. Too many people are looking at the entire country in terms of government regulation and control. I believe most do it unconsciously. It comes as instinct to them. They may even think they represent freedom...in the form of more government control over other freedoms that might inconvenience that freedom. I think it breaks down into two categories.

1: The first category of government control assumption strikes in the form of government regulation, control, and spending as a knee-jerk reaction. When a problem presents itself, many Americans no longer ask the question, "Wow, what can I do about it?" and instead ask the question, "When are those politicians in Washington going to do something about it?" It's really scary. Even if the problem is fairly local, they rarely think of the city council or state government, or better yet, solving the problem as private citizens, but instead, the first thought goes straight to Capitol Hill. If a behavior is undesirable, they seek to ban it. If an action is favorable, they seek to subsidize it. In their minds, all things that have any positive or negative bearing on the world in any way must be either regulated, banned, or subsidized by the federal government.

2: The second attitude that causes so much foaming at the mouth is the assumption that all Americans are operating under the first mentality. Express your displeasure at premarital sex and your desire to see people stop practicing it, and you'll likely get a sermon about government control over MY body, even if you never even imply a desire to use the law to enforce your point of view. The idea that somebody might abhor a behavior or product but not seek a law against it is foreign and alien to them, a concept that makes as much sense as liking a food, but never eating it. Thus, any and all expression of your views is seen, to them, to have an implied "...and there should be a law about it," at the end.

Combined, these two attitudes are leading to an environment in which there is no room to live and let live. Opposing viewpoints may not be civilly held by friends. The home for determining who is right and who is wrong is moved from friendly debate to sweeping legislation and appellate courts. It is inconceivable for a Christian and secularist to be friends, as the Christian must always seek to oppress the secularist moralistic, theocratic laws while the secularist seeks to press religion out of the public and behind closed doors only. Those who favor abstinence and monogamy cannot befriend the sexually 'liberated,' as the former will constantly be trying to outlaw all sex and birth control except between a married couple in the missionary position while the latter will seek legislation forcing schools to teach children that, despite anything their parents say, there never has been nor ever will be anything wrong with treating sex like a handshake, as long as you use protection.

In the end, this attitude, more than any one political party or ideology, has led to the division of this country. Where once we had a diverse but united republic where those of vastly opposing views could live without fear of having their views oppressed, we now have a compartmentalized society divided into warring tribes using the bludgeon of the law to attempt to force all others to their point of view. While some tribes are more guilty of this than others, all are guilty and are convinced only of the guilt of everyone else.

There are three levels of guidelines to dictate your actions outside of your personal agenda. Those three levels of guidelines are: legal, ethical, and moral. Until the country as a whole sees that, of the three, legal should be as loose as can be allowed without anarchy, while moral should be something most people must hold themselves to, rather than an all-reaching federal government, then the country can never truly heal.
    "Lighght"
    - This 'poem' was bought and paid for with $2,250 of YOUR money.

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not the second attitude that causes most of the foaming at the mouth. It's the very systematic efforts from conservative interests - through mouthpieces like Coulter, Rush, and O'Reilly - to stir up more and more hate.
    If you're worth less than $5 million and you vote for McCain, you're a loser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hobbit,
    You may be on to something!
    A chance for a new beginning, like a dawn of reconciliation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac View Post
    It's not the second attitude that causes most of the foaming at the mouth. It's the very systematic efforts from conservative interests - through mouthpieces like Coulter, Rush, and O'Reilly - to stir up more and more hate.
    I dont see how talk radio stirs up hate or what it has to do with this thread.

I agree with the premise original post though.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What causes foaming at the mouth is when such mouthpieces express what they believe is the right thing to do, and many others assume they want laws made about it, but what really causes all of the 'hate' accusations is when they challenge the mentality directly and proclaim that maybe government shouldn't be the solution to much of anything, and since those stuck in the aforementioned mentality assume that all things must be loved or hated and that all things loved must be government endorsed, their first mental connection is that these people hate the poor, minorities, etc. because they want to defund government endorsement of those people.
    "Lighght"

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

A very intelligent and educated viewpoint, Hobbit. I don't agree with some of it, but I can't deny many of the points. Well done!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you should post this on the blog

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    What causes foaming at the mouth is when such mouthpieces express what they believe is the right thing to do, and many others assume they want laws made about it, but what really causes all of the 'hate' accusations is when they challenge the mentality directly and proclaim that maybe government shouldn't be the solution to much of anything, and since those stuck in the aforementioned mentality assume that all things must be loved or hated and that all things loved must be government endorsed, their first mental connection is that these people hate the poor, minorities, etc. because they want to defund government endorsement of those people.
    If they really didn't want the government to be the solution to much of anything, they would have opposed going to war halfway around the world.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they really didn't want the government to be the solution to much of anything, they would have opposed going to war halfway around the world.
    please attend MFM's english colloquial class

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

REALLY ? Now are your making fun of Bush in Africa or all of the Congressional shopping junkets ?

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    REALLY ? Now are your making fun of Bush in Africa or all of the Congressional shopping junkets ?
    Not intentionally. Just pointing out how silly it is to connect today's conservatives with the idea that government "shouldn't do much of anything."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not intentionally. Just pointing out how silly it is to connect today's conservatives with the idea that government "shouldn't do much of anything."
    I think blowing the shit out of assholes is OK if they or any of thier friends kill Americans. Even if its far away. No clean up.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    Damn, I was going to steal it! A very good suggestion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This would be an example of thinking in extremes, and failing to realize that much of anything and anything at all are not one and the same. As put forth in the Constitution of this great nation, the federal government does, in fact, have the sole right to prosecute wars on behalf of the union. In fact, our first clash with radical Islam came when Jefferson decided to put the Barbary Pirates out of business.
    "Lighght"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    Well, I made a profile on the blog, but I have no idea how to post anything.
    "Lighght"