Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Question for Iraq war supporters

How much money, and how many lives of American service members, is a Democratic Iraq worth?

Please give an estimated number.
    "Let me at least not die without a struggle, inglorious, but having done some big thing first, for men to come to know of." - Hector

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's a different answer for everyone. How much is freedom and security worth?

I don't think it's the cost that's the problem. it's the fact that we have to spend billions on other useless government programs so we can't focus our national defense thats the problems.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I agree with Avatar on this.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As do I.

Was it worth the money spent and live lost to have a free and democratic Japan and Germany? Or a free and democratic (sometimes autocratic) South Korea? Maybe we are not looking far enough in the future to see the benefit of what we are doing right now.

AF
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Usually it comes down to openness about the whole thing. Both in Vietnam, and again in the Iraq war, our reasoning for going to war were dishonest, and we did not listen to the advice of generals who knew what they were talking about.

The tactics of the Iraq war were a total bullocks, and we are paying for it now. We went ill-prepared and undermanned (not everyone got kevlar, blankets, and we only went in with half the forces the generals said they'd need to do it), under, if not directly false, then certainly disingenuine, and this has created morales troubles all over the place, mounted on top of the tactical errors.

"Give me Liberty, or give me Death"
    "He who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserves neither liberty, nor security"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Usually it comes down to openness about the whole thing. Both in Vietnam, and again in the Iraq war, our reasoning for going to war were dishonest, and we did not listen to the advice of generals who knew what they were talking about.
    There was no dishonest reasons presented for going to war with Iraq.

The tactics of the Iraq war were a total bullocks, and we are paying for it now. We went ill-prepared and undermanned (not everyone got kevlar, blankets, and we only went in with half the forces the generals said they'd need to do it), under, if not directly false, then certainly disingenuine, and this has created morales troubles all over the place, mounted on top of the tactical errors.
    "Give me Liberty, or give me Death"
    "He who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserves neither liberty, nor security"
    You sound like an armchair general. The military has never went to war with every soldier wearing Kevlar. We have never went to war with up-armored Humvees, Jeeps or OX carts prior to Iraq. The DOD had reorganized into a light highly mobile strike force manner of doing battle under the constraints of peacetime army. The concept is to use highly trained light force utilizing state of the art technology and armament as a force multiplier. Or, in other words, more bang for the buck. The problem once Baghdad was taken and the formal uniformed army was defeated was as simple as failure to issue new "rules of engagement" for the civil population. If you remember there was wide spread law breaking, looting and so on and our force stood and watched... in the absence of security the nation went into anarchy.

As for the debate question: When America goes to war we should remain engaged until we are victorious regardless of costs of human or other resources. To leave Iraq prior to Iraq being internally secure would assure another war. We involved ourselves there because it was and is in our national interests. To depart without securing our national interests would be ignorant.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    ---Thomas Jefferson (or as Al Sharpton calls him: Grandpappy)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post

I don't think it's the cost that's the problem. it's the fact that we have to spend billions on other useless government programs so we can't focus our national defense thats the problems.
    Just whose freedom and security are you talking about? Certainly not ours, since Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 or Al Qaeda...at least not until after the US invasion of Iraq.

As for the useless government programs, which ones? The billions in unbid contracts to Halliburton, KBR, Blackwater, and other war profiteers?
    Fascism has come to America, wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. His name is Trump.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. - George Orwell...The New GOP motto.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    The answer might vary with the opinions of different people, but so far nobody has dared to answer the question as stated. How much money, which otherwise could be invested in our own national welfare, is a Democratic Iraq worth? How many American lives is having a Democratic government in Iraq worth? I'm not looking for an exact figure here, just a broad estimate. At what cost in blood and treasure would you say "enough, this just isn't worth it anymore!"
    "Let me at least not die without a struggle, inglorious, but having done some big thing first, for men to come to know of." - Hector

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not one single penny or life. Screw Iraq, the people have to want democracy enough to fight for it on their own or it will never last. We can't give Iraq modern democracy and it wouldn't be to our benifit to do it anyway. Look at the people they vote in, anti-american presense to the hilt. Sadar even killed Americans and he was a main part of their elected government for quite awile.
    Last edited by LiberalNation; 02-26-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lance View Post
    The answer might vary with the opinions of different people, but so far nobody has dared to answer the question as stated. How much money, which otherwise could be invested in our own national welfare, is a Democratic Iraq worth? How many American lives is having a Democratic government in Iraq worth? I'm not looking for an exact figure here, just a broad estimate. At what cost in blood and treasure would you say "enough, this just isn't worth it anymore!"
    the money in iraq would not have been spent here.....it was borrowed to be used.....

as for is it worth it....no

should we have gone....no

however i believe in accountability....we fucked up....we have to fix our mistake....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bullypulpit View Post
    Just whose freedom and security are you talking about? Certainly not ours, since Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 or Al Qaeda...at least not until after the US invasion of Iraq.

As for the useless government programs, which ones? The billions in unbid contracts to Halliburton, KBR, Blackwater, and other war profiteers?
    yes those same usless groups that helped the balkans and liberia....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much money, and how many lives of American service members, is a Democratic Iraq worth?

The premise of the question is flawed, to be brutally honest. Once one life is sacrificed in combat, we owe it to those who have sacrificed to ensure that they didn't sacrifice in vain...

So till the Job is Done, and the Fallen Honored.
    "Let every nation know... we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
    JFK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFbombloader View Post
    As do I.

Was it worth the money spent and live lost to have a free and democratic Japan and Germany? Or a free and democratic (sometimes autocratic) South Korea? Maybe we are not looking far enough in the future to see the benefit of what we are doing right now.

AF

Hooah, Outstanding answer!
    "Let every nation know... we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
    JFK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm no longer an Iraq war supporter, but it's a good question.

Money? Not this much. The huge deficits and taxpayer costs and the associated cost of high oil because of the constant tension from the ever-ongoing war and the poor production in Iraq because we never won it --- all this may throw us into a bad recession with bad inflation, IMO.

It was a good idea to democratize Iraq if it could be done quickly and cheaply, but it couldn't. It was also a good idea to take down Saddam to show dictators that "regime change" was not operative rather than preserving them forever by "boxing them up."

So if we had left out as soon as we dug up Saddam, I think that would have been the right amount of money.

As for lives of American soldiers for democracy for Iraq?

None at all, of course. Iraqis aren't American taxpayers: why should they get Americans to fight for them? American soldiers should never be sent on humanitarian missions, IMO. Only to defeat our enemies, at need.

Thinking our military is available for humanitarian wars just leads to us getting bogged down in the endless, hopeless wars of Africa: Darfur, Congo, Kenya, Liberia, Zimbabwe. That is not in the American interest, nor is an endless war to democratize Iraq.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The US had a cease fire agreement with Iraq that was violated. Upholding our word and treaties are of the up-most importance.

Not to mention the invasions of Iran, Kuwait, the amassing of troops on the Saudi border, that would only give him 6o/ 7o% of of the worlds principal resource.

Or the mass graves, his using of chemical weapons on civilians and military targets.

Oh and lets not for get his charitable actions of paying 25,000 to the families of suicide bombers, and calling the victims of 9/11 the perpetrators.

The cost of oil will go down drastically once Iraq is settled, and we have an ally, remember it took the US 13 years of which we went through the Articles of Confederation, things like Shay's rebellion, before finally settling on the Constitution and electing George Washington...

Last time talk like this ruled, WWII was the result... It's the UN's job, but they are corrupt, and therefore, to avoid the mistakes of history, someone has to stand firm.
    JFK