Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A Bad Day On Wall Street? For Who?

This post is sort of in response to the thread started by Kathianne about today being a bad day on wall street due to the Bear Stearns Collapse and the subprime issues.

I want to know who this is going to be a bad day for.

Yes, the value of my 401(k) will drop. Yes, the value of my IRA will drop. Yes, the value of my mutual funds will drop. So what?

There are only two types of people that will truly be hurt by the plunging markets, 1) those who panic and sell and 2) those who are forced to sell to cover other debts.

Don't be either one of those kinds of people. The market will rebound. As the saying goes; buy low sell high. If you didn't sell on Thursday... don't sell today. Whatever you do... don't panic. Let the market absorb this bad news from Bear Stearns. When it does things won't look so bleak and the market will recover. I promise.

If you are one of the second kinds of people... well, then I have one piece of advice for you... you should not be in the market in the first place. Wait for the market to rebound and then GET OUT!

Now... as for it being a bad day, I look at it like this today is a great day to buy! If you have some money you were thinking of investing and have a company you wanted to invest in... well, now is the time to think about getting in. Don't wait until the market has rebounded.

I wish I had some extra cash laying around, because now would be the time to buy.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The stock market represents real companies which react to how their value is viewed in the market. Real people will lose real jobs.

Anyone with big money will make money because if you have enough money you can make money in any market. Down markets benifit the very wealthy about as much as an up market. Bear Stearns is being bought at a bargain price by JP Morgan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truthmatters View Post
    The stock market represents real companies which react to how their value is viewed in the market. Real people will lose real jobs.

Anyone with big money will make money because if you have enough money you can make money in any market. Down markets benifit the very wealthy about as much as an up market. Bear Stearns is being bought at a bargain price by JP Morgan.
    People are not going to loose jobs BECAUSE to market dropped today.

People at Bear Stearns may loose their jobs but not because of today's market. People at Bear Stearns may loose their jobs BECAUSE of poor management decisions not because of how investors view their company.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh Immy yes they will. Corporations will do what they can to improve the bottom line. They will trim their payroll. Its one of the ways they can cut costs to improve the next quaters outlook.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh Immy yes they will. Corporations will do what they can to improve the bottom line. They will trim their payroll. Its one of the ways they can cut costs to improve the next quaters outlook.
    If that were the case, then every time a stock price dropped there would be mass layoffs. It doesn't happen that way, TM.

Also, the point of this thread is, that you as the average investor, should not panic and sell all now. It's too late to do that. Ride it out and invest if you can.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    This post is sort of in response to the thread started by Kathianne about today being a bad day on wall street due to the Bear Stearns Collapse and the subprime issues.

Yes, the value of my 401(k) will drop. Yes, the value of my IRA will drop. Yes, the value of my mutual funds will drop. So what?

There are only two types of people that will truly be hurt by the plunging markets, 1) those who panic and sell and 2) those who are forced to sell to cover other debts.

Don't be either one of those kinds of people. The market will rebound. As the saying goes; buy low sell high. If you didn't sell on Thursday... don't sell today. Whatever you do... don't panic. Let the market absorb this bad news from Bear Stearns. When it does things won't look so bleak and the market will recover. I promise.

If you are one of the second kinds of people... well, then I have one piece of advice for you... you should not be in the market in the first place. Wait for the market to rebound and then GET OUT!

Now... as for it being a bad day, I look at it like this today is a great day to buy! If you have some money you were thinking of investing and have a company you wanted to invest in... well, now is the time to think about getting in. Don't wait until the market has rebounded.

I wish I had some extra cash laying around, because now would be the time to buy.

Immie
    I think you might be missing a very big part of this immie....

the 70 million baby boomers....maybe 10 million extra to retire starting this year...RELY on what is in their 401k NOW and they do not have the two decades that YOU have to make their retirement LOSSES back.... or don't have the time to have their homes be worth more so they can live off of them in their retirement?

we ARE in a world of poopie....for a prolonged period in my opinion....but we will pull out of this....eventually.

jd
    Last edited by JohnDoe; 03-17-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No not everytime but when they know the economy is screwed and they can not capture new market share to make the differance then they cut the payroll and close failing outlets.

This is a quickly contracting market and the only real option for most industries right now is to close down outlets and trim the employee ranks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No not everytime but when they know the economy is screwed and they can not capture new market share to make the differance then they cut the payroll and close failing outlets.

This is a quickly contracting market and the only real option for most industries right now is to close down outlets and trim the employee ranks.
    Again, that has nothing to do with "Wall Street". It has everything to do with management decisions. Companies will be trying to trim expenses where they can, but the term "a bad day on wall street" is referring to investors not to employees.

The worst mistake you can make on a day like today is the get up thinking, "oh my God, the market's going to tank. I better sell first thing this morning". By the time you heard about Bear Stearns it was already too late to sell.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are right there Immy it would be a bad time to sell. Some people will not be able to retire now due to the market. They are stuck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are right there Immy it would be a bad time to sell. Some people will not be able to retire now due to the market. They are stuck.
    BS... nobody retires today and sells everything they own in the stock market today. You either have enough to retire today or you don't. You have either done a good job planning for your retirement and have enough to retire on (a decision that would have been made months ago anyway) or you don't. If someone was planning on retiring today, the market issues would not effect that decision one way or another.

Now, if today they began their plans to retire in the near future, they MIGHT put it off a little while longer, but again that decision would not be made over one day's market issues.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
    I think you might be missing a very big part of this immie....

the 70 million baby boomers....maybe 10 million extra to retire starting this year...RELY on what is in their 401k NOW and they do not have the two decades that YOU have to make their retirement LOSSES back.... or don't have the time to have their homes be worth more so they can live off of them in their retirement?

we ARE in a world of poopie....for a prolonged period in my opinion....but we will pull out of this....eventually.

jd
    Sorry, missed this or I would have added to my last post.

JD,

The same applies here. You and I are at the end of the Baby Boomer's generation. Our inevitable retirement is only now beginning to hit us. Most of us are thinking, "how the hell am I going to retire in 20 years?". But remember, those at the beginning of the generation made those decisions 20 or more years ago.

Today's market contraction and the coming recession won't change much for them. Either they planned for this and put the biggest part of their investments in conservative vehicles or they didn't. If they did, then it is retirement as planned for them. If they started too late or never started at all, then there was no retirement in the future for them anyway.

Immie
    Last edited by Immanuel; 03-17-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Immie
    That's true, I'l love to buy some JPMC. LOL!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

But TM, you should be happy, JPMC has made it clear it only wants to keep the prime side of the evil BS, so those jackals deserve to lose their jobs. Grrrr. Oh maybe not, those poor folks, were just pawns in the corporate behemoth. Wonder how much those pawns made?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    That's true, I'l love to buy some JPMC. LOL!

You and me both!

I also thought about selling Bear Stearns short. Then again, by the time I found out about it, it was too darned late!

Hmmm, now that I think about it... who is the next victim of subprime lending going to be?

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You and me both!

I also thought about selling Bear Stearns short. Then again, by the time I found out about it, it was too darned late!

Hmmm, now that I think about it... who is the next victim of subprime lending going to be?

Immie
    CitiBank?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?