Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Calling Democrats and Liberals!

I am looking for honest and subjective feedback, not sarcasm or little games. The feedback I receive can go a long way towards helping with the future of the board.

I completely understand that I am extremely sarcastic with people at times, especially those I disagree with. But understand, and look at how I post with Jackass and OCA, I do it for fun. I know I have an attitude at times. I know I'm wrong on occasions. I'm human, but that's me as a regular member and participant of the board, not as owner/administrator.

The feedback I'm looking for is regarding how I run the board as owner/administrator, and specifically how I enforce rules. Democrat or Conservative, friend or not, I've always tried to remain impartial when running the board and have tried to extend the same courtesies across the spectrum. When it comes time to make a decision regarding "penalties", I try to only do so as a last resort and try to do so impartially. But maybe my perception is incorrect.

I've heard from others that this board is extremely restrictive because of me. I've been told I am extremely unfair to people I do not agree with. I've been told I do not enforce the rules evenly. I've been told that liberals receive repercussions if they participate in heated debates. I've been told that it's still suspected that I can read private messages (You all know what you share with one another in private, do you feel I've ever read any of those communications?).

I'm curious as to what our posters think, specifically the Democrat supporters, and what I can do to improve for the future. Please speak freely but let's not let this turn into a sarcastic thread or a debate. It's OUR community and we all control how the future unfolds.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been with you now for what... five years? I've known you to be nothing but fair, and if I had to put it on the scale and weight your fairness, I'd say it nudges over on the lenient side at times. I've got nothing to complain about. You're doing just fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see I joined here in April last year. I'm not inclined to stop posting here. I have no problems with admins, mods or other posters (in fact I'd say folks are pretty tolerant of me because sometimes I get a dose of the martins and fly off a bit).

Oh and I don't think VBulletin has a hack for admins to read private messages and I have no idea why anyone would bother.

That's my bit.

Now I'm going back to my normal annoying, picky self
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    Oh and I don't think VBulletin has a hack for admins to read private messages and I have no idea why anyone would bother.
    Actually, there are quite a few hacks available for reading the private messages. I've offered temporary FTP and full admin access to volunteers in the past for anyone wanting to find out for themselves but had no takers. I'm sure there has been some juicy gossip written in private and by now something would have leaked or revenge taken had anyone been reading.

I have no desire to get involved with what people discuss in private. Most aren't afraid to abuse me in public anyway!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I've been with you now for what... five years? I've known you to be nothing but fair, and if I had to put it on the scale and weight your fairness, I'd say it nudges over on the lenient side at times. I've got nothing to complain about. You're doing just fine.
    Yep, my first political board was started in 2003.

The funny thing is, and contrary to perception, more action has been taken against conservatives of this board than liberals. Think about the users who have been reprimanded over the past few years and you'll see this to be the truth.

One major complaint I received was pointing out and asking users to not post entire articles, and that I only enforced this against our liberal members. Pale - how many times have I contacted you and asked you not to do so, or asked you right in a thread after editing your posted article?

I think with less liberal members aboard, it stands out more when one is chastised for any reason, or asked not to do something. As far as rule breaking is concerned and me having to get involved, as of late it's been 80% conservative members pushing the limits.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Outside of my one little jab at you for nailing TM to 2 paragraphs while dozens of other posters managed to get away with it....which you immediately responded to....excellent customer service on the complaint really!

I think things are MUCH, MUCH better now Jim, it could be because darin isn't here to stir things up....and honestly, I'm kinda missing the little bugger....but not his negative reps and banning people from threads!

So, all in all, many kudos for a fine board!

jd
    Last edited by JohnDoe; 03-22-2008 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
    Outside of my one little jab at you for nailing TM to 2 paragraphs while dozens of other posters managed to get away with it....which you immediately responded to....excellent customer service on the complaint really!
    JD, I understand your perception and am doing my best to make sure all complaints are addressed. Keep in mind, not many members are privy to the warnings and requests I send out to other members in private. I won't always publicly make such requests unless it's to a repeat offender. But honestly, just as many conservatives post too much of articles as well and fall out of line with copyright issues, and I'm sure a few will chime in and acknowledge they have been asked to cease such activity.

Additionally, many are from reported posts. I can guarantee you that EVERY post that violates this rule that is reported will be corrected.

As for myself, I'm a debater just like everyone else here. Sometimes I don't open every thread and simply go to threads by members that I know will interest a debate in me. Of course most of those members are Democrats, so their opening posts will be noticed by me quicker.

But as far as copyright issues, I'll be in just as much hot water if busted by a Democrat or Republican running afoul of the issue!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok, I could clear this up real quick if you knew what was said between me and Jimmy on the phone and what was contained in an email I sent him about two weeks ago or so, for if you knew what we said to each other you would have bet the farm that I would not ever be allowed back on this board in this lifetime or any other.

Anyway here I am, and even though I think Jim can be an asshole at times(I know for a fact he thinks the same of me lol) and I disagree with alot of his decisions and board moves I cannot say that he does not rip conservatives and that he is not fair.......sometimes to a fault.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I first checked in on 8-5-04, got the key to my room and haven't left yet. I've seen some bumps here and there, some messes and a few assaults over the yrs. most committed by members, but nothing I couldn't live with or ignore.

IMO since the latest admin changes the board has been running much more civilly and as smooth as a fine old clock. Like the old Timex watch "It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin". Says a lot for "We the people" (plural). More about the owner.

So, for the most part, I think we have moved rapidly toward a board of family with spats and occasional beatings rather than a kill or be killed environment. I see that as a good thing.

My 2 cents. Hey, we're all in this together.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well here is my .02. As most of you know, I have known Jim for a very long time, both on the board and off. Jim can be one of the most stubborn people you will meet. If Jim considers you a friend, he holds you to the highest of standards. When you disappoint Jim, you will feel the wrath of Jim. Jim is WAY tougher on the people he likes, then the casual person. Just look at his brother. Jim has banned his own brother from the board before! If thats not fair, then I dont know what is.
    Jim is also one of the most frogiving people I have ever met. As quick as he is to point out what you did wrong, he is ready to forgive you. Just look at his brother. Jim has banned his own brother from the board before! If thats not fair, then I dont know what is.
    Jim, on a personal note, you cant please all the people all the time. 90% of this board knows that what you do is for the best of the board, even if it is against what you really want to do. Dont let what a few numbskulls say. If its that bad here, then why do they come back??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no complaints from me whatsoever. You have been more than fair with me from day one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I enjoy the ultra conservative posters. There is no need to ask them to keep it down. The rest of us know they just have to shill for the conservatives.

Don't change anything.
    A chance for a new beginning, like a dawn of reconciliation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April15 View Post
    I enjoy the ultra conservative posters. There is no need to ask them to keep it down. The rest of us know they just have to shill for the conservatives.

Don't change anything.
    Which posters do you consider, 'ultra conservative'?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Which posters do you consider, 'ultra conservative'?
    Everyone but me!
    A chance for a new beginning, like a dawn of reconciliation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April15 View Post
    Everyone but me!
    Um, right.