Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is conservatism a choice?

Is conservatism a choice?

This controversy has often puzzled me and there does not seem to be enough scientific information to decide one way or the other. If conservatism is genetic then our hopes for a free, generous, well adjusted, fair society are constantly in jeopardy. Characteristics:

* Fear and aggression
    * Dogmatism and intolerance of ambiguity
    * Uncertainty avoidance
    * Need for cognitive closure
    * Terror management

So the question I want to ask here of the conservatives, do you think you chose this way of life or was it inherited and you have always been this way?

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...politics.shtml

PS I wasn't sure whether to place this thread in Religion/Ethics as controversial topics such as this have a greater impact on the type of society we have than even homosexuality.
    Last edited by midcan5; 04-30-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Well, that's a new and different way of injecting lies and smears about conservatism into an innocuous-seeming post. Nice work!

To continue as though the original question had been intended seriously instead:
    Yes, conservatism is a choice. You can choose to be honest, pull your own weight, help the people around you, learn from your mistakes, and place some societal goals above your own personal goals. Or you can be a modern liberal: Rob your neighbor, "protect" him from learning from his mistakes, remove his incentive to work hard and do better, charge him for the "privilege" of being "helped" in all these ways, punish him for going otside your "guidance", control more and more of his life until he becomes completely dependent on you and afraid to use his own judgement on anything, and force people at gunpoint to do all these things themselves whether they think it's a good idea or not.

Conservatism is absolutely a choice, one that we all make. Only the consequences of that choice, are inevitable.
    Last edited by Little-Acorn; 04-30-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post

This controversy has often puzzled me and there does not seem to be enough scientific information to decide one way or the other. If conservatism is genetic then our hopes for a free, generous, well adjusted, fair society are constantly in jeopardy. Characteristics:

* Fear and aggression
    * Uncertainty avoidance
    * Terror management

So the question I want to ask here of the conservatives, do you think you chose this way of life or was it inherited and you have always been this way?

PS I wasn't sure whether to place this thread in Religion/Ethics as controversial topics such as this have a greater impact on the type of society we have than even homosexuality.
    That isnt conservatism. That is what the Bush regeme has tainted conservatism to seem like by going against the traditional conservatism views. This is the true conservatist www.ronpaul2008.com/ by stritly adhereing to the constitution.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

* Fear and aggression
    * Uncertainty avoidance
    * Terror management
    All liberal traits as far as I can tell..
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

* Fear and aggression
    * Uncertainty avoidance
    * Terror management

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................

I don't think you have figured out the essence of conservatism, midcan. Conservatism is the drag on change in society; it's the opposite of radicalism. Conservativism slows change down, and a good thing, too, or we'd be running madly in all directions constantly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How on hell would a way of life be "inherited"? Everyone makes their own choices in how they want to live their life.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

* Fear and aggression
    * Uncertainty avoidance
    * Terror management

Glad to see liberals are looking for a way to explain common sense away as some genetic disorder that will requires the elites to commit genocide against anyone with this "disorder".

And we are supposed to be the nazis. What bullcrap.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    How on hell would a way of life be "inherited"? Everyone makes their own choices in how they want to live their life.
    cant accept that premise or else the Gay agenda will be invalidated. Besides this justifies widespread murder of conservatives.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................

I don't think you have figured out the essence of conservatism, midcan. Conservatism is the drag on change in society; it's the opposite of radicalism. Conservativism slows change down, and a good thing, too, or we'd be running madly in all directions constantly.

Conservatism has nothing to do with preventing change in society. That is the most idiotic definition I've ever heard.
    Conservatism seeks to change from immoral to moral, from wrong to right. Or if something is already done right, to keep it that way and preserve it.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

* Fear and aggression
    * Uncertainty avoidance
    * Terror management

Unlike Clinton's blatant fear mongering?

Do you think it's a choice for you to completely keep skipping over what I've said previously, or are you purposely being this ignorant? I've answered every question you've had on this point, but apparently, I'll never be anything but the same conservative as the other ones you keep slapping me as. I would think you would have had more moral integrity than to keep at an argument after it's been shot down.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont have a clue what your point is.

Being gay a choice ... yes

if being straight is a choice

believing in a religion or political party, thats a choice

again, what is your point my friend ?

* Fear and aggression
    * Uncertainty avoidance
    * Terror management

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If anything, I'd say liberalism, not conservatism, is the mental disorder. They hate Christians for claiming that homosexuality and fornication are sins, with modesty being a virtue, yet cozy up to Muslims who execute people for fornication, homosexuality, and a lack of modesty. They decry anybody who even knows OF any white supremacists, but make excuses for any non-white racist. Or how about the very definition of insanity, as liberals continually promote and vote for policies and practices that have repeatedly been tried (here or elsewhere) and have failed utterly, all thinking that they might just work this time. Isn't the very definition of insanity trying the same thing over and over, expecting different results.
    "Lighght"
    - This 'poem' was bought and paid for with $2,250 of YOUR money.

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    I dont have a clue what your point is.

Being gay a choice ... yes

if being straight is a choice

believing in a religion or political party, thats a choice

again, what is your point my friend ?
    He doesn't really have a point. That's not unusual for him.

He was merely tryng to find a way to call conservatism names and attribute false characteristics to it, while disguising his post as somehow intelligent discourse.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    He doesn't really have a point. That's not unusual for him.

He was merely tryng to find a way to call conservatism names and attribute false characteristics to it, while disguising his post as somehow intelligent discourse.
    im not sure building a case for genocide can really be considered intelligent. atleast in my book its not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Anyone can criticize liberals. It's all this forum. But try to go the other way and you are a crazy idiot who makes no sense.

Doesn't anyone ever get tired of the whole "conservative vs. liberal" bullshit? Or is that simply a catch all to dump all problems and situations that you don't understand?

If you response to pretty much all political/social arguments is "well, liberals suck!", then your cranial cancer has spread far beyond all hope for remission.