Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default This is really sad

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080430...healthmilitary

Fearing stigma, US soldiers hide mental problems: study

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A majority of US soldiers who have done tours of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan say they suffer from stress-related troubles linked to their deployments, a study showed Wednesday.

But most keep their psychological problems to themselves for fear of being stigmatized or seeing their careers take a nose-dive, the study conducted by Harris Interactive for the American Psychiatric Association (APA) showed.

Nearly six in 10 US military members said their deployment in a war zone has caused them to suffer from "negative experiences" associated with stress.

But a mere 10 percent have sought treatment for mental health concerns, according to the study, which surveyed 347 members of the US military and their spouses.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Do the Bushies care? Not at all.
    Hey you! With the mental problems! Quit being a wimp and go get shot at!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You cant just blame bush, that is completely unfair.

You have to blame congress, the senate and the military too

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    You cant just blame bush, that is completely unfair.

You have to blame congress, the senate and the military too
    shhhhhhhh Gabby is still going thru her rebellious phase.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the soldier doesn't get help, it's his/her own damn fault, because the help is there, while you're active, or after you get out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

says you while living in the plastic smile profiting off the war and those you loath.....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Query: if they are not seeking help because they fear negative stigma being attached to needing help for stress, do you think they expect the source of that stigma to be the people who supported them going there and what they were doing or would they expect that source to be the people who called them terrorists and murderers......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Fear of the stigma of mental illness is true in any job.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't you risk your security clearence by going to see a physc doc/being diagnose with porbs. That could end your career fast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Fear of the stigma of mental illness is true in any job.
    Yes, but it is even more feared in a job defined by macho manliness. You can imagine being a Marine in need of psychiatric help? No one would ever look you in the face again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the military need to change this attitude or youll have more suicides and and other problems.

Yes, but it is even more feared in a job defined by macho manliness. You can imagine being a Marine in need of psychiatric help? No one would ever look you in the face again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    the military need to change this attitude or youll have more suicides and and other problems.
    As long as people keep joining, re-uping and finishing there contracts this is not an issue. Real action is not taken until thoes in charge are pushed into a corner. The only reason they give doctors direct commissions is because they are desperate. Just like with a civilian job.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    As long as people keep joining, re-uping and finishing there contracts this is not an issue. Real action is not taken until thoes in charge are pushed into a corner. The only reason they give doctors direct commissions is because they are desperate. Just like with a civilian job.
    ah yes, was wondering when you'd resurface again. oh well, I guess it was too much to hope that you'd decided to re-evaluate your priorities. In any case, not really here for you.

speaking as former military, as well as someone who had serious knee problems that eventually decided that I was getting out (Well, technically, I chose to get out, but it was walk out, or stay in till I was in a wheelchair. I like walking). as it is, my problem while I was on Limited Duty was not with the people who assumed I was malingering, and assigned me extra work, because at least they believed me capable. My problem was the people of the opposite persuasion, who believed I was a total invalid, and insisted on taking it easy on me. You'll find the same is true of military military men and women.

The study does not say if it is harder for military men and women to admit to needing psychiatric help, and so, I see the findings as flawed in this area.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just remember john rambo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    ah yes, was wondering when you'd resurface again. oh well, I guess it was too much to hope that you'd decided to re-evaluate your priorities. In any case, not really here for you.

speaking as former military, as well as someone who had serious knee problems that eventually decided that I was getting out (Well, technically, I chose to get out, but it was walk out, or stay in till I was in a wheelchair. I like walking). as it is, my problem while I was on Limited Duty was not with the people who assumed I was malingering, and assigned me extra work, because at least they believed me capable. My problem was the people of the opposite persuasion, who believed I was a total invalid, and insisted on taking it easy on me. You'll find the same is true of military military men and women.

The study does not say if it is harder for military men and women to admit to needing psychiatric help, and so, I see the findings as flawed in this area.
    All I was trying to say is the military is not going to do anything about anything until they have to. Just like in the civilian world, if you have a few job openings and could maybe hire someone but your not really hurting (assuming this is the state of affairs for your entire industry as it was with me in 04 when I was trying to find an engineering job) your going to make the applicants that want a job jump around like monkeys and you will him and haw around take 2 weeks to get back with people and on and on, but if you actually need people to get real work done you will see how quickly the beauracracy breaks down. Its no different in the military (except with doctors & lawyers), yea theres some news storys about this that and the other with regard to the VA and treatment of troops but until it gets bad enough to start effecting the mission why do anything about it and even if it did get to that point they would do just enough to pull themselves away from the edge, military members will always have a lower quaility of life than successful civilians and thats because the military does not care because its a cast system.

I can see how you would not like to be patronized by people who treat you like an invalid but the people who accused you of malingering were commiting slander which is dishonorable but of course dishonorable behavior is accepted all the time as long as you are not at the bottom of the cast, accusing someone of malingering is a big deal and is taken way to lightly in the military anyone who makes an unfounded accusation like that ought to be busted down in rank and have there leadership position taken away, if they started cracking down on this shit you would start to see an honorable military emerge. But that wont happen becasue they are not desperate enough, maybe if congress make the edge of the cliff crumbly so they had to bring it way back when they went over the edge something would get done but thats not happening.