Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Board Upgrade - 5/2 am

I've finally renewed my yearly "support" license with vB as they released their latest version of software today. I will be upgrading the board to the latest software early tomorrow morning, somewhere between 4-6am EST.

The new software patches a lot of issues, strengthens security, adds functionality to the board & allows me to download/purchase the latest enhancements for the board.

I'll update everyone when the upgrade is complete tomorrow.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

upgrade has been completed
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Please report any issues in this thread. I'll update in a little while what changes you can expect with this latest version.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Isn't it great how software companies make us pay for "patches" to cover up mistakes in their earlier versions? If automotive companies sold defective cars they would be sued out of existence. What other industry gets away with that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Isn't it great how software companies make us pay for "patches" to cover up mistakes in their earlier versions? If automotive companies sold defective cars they would be sued out of existence. What other industry gets away with that?
    Just had this conversation with my brother yesterday. The vBulletin owned license cost me $180 or so. With that, you get one year of free updates. Whenever a "patch" or new release comes out, you can upgrade for free. Once your year is up, you must pay a $30 renewal fee (now $40), and that gives you another year of new releases and patches.

If it was just patches I would be pissed, but Jelsoft, the company who makes this software, is always increasing the functionality of the software and making it better and better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

just a thought....I don't like the little green "activity bar"....it seems to measure my participation here against the standard of RSR, who shows a 100% against my 8%....since Acts is likely the only person who could out post Red, why even bother to show this on the board......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    just a thought....I don't like the little green "activity bar"....it seems to measure my participation here against the standard of RSR, who shows a 100% against my 8%....since Acts is likely the only person who could out post Red, why even bother to show this on the board......
    are you sure you aren't a liberal...............

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    are you sure you aren't a liberal...............
    well, I don't post liberally.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Just had this conversation with my brother yesterday. The vBulletin owned license cost me $180 or so. With that, you get one year of free updates. Whenever a "patch" or new release comes out, you can upgrade for free. Once your year is up, you must pay a $30 renewal fee (now $40), and that gives you another year of new releases and patches.

If it was just patches I would be pissed, but Jelsoft, the company who makes this software, is always increasing the functionality of the software and making it better and better.
    That's how they get you to keep upgrading. And $40 isn't bad for the latest bells a whistles. That's better that the deal AutoCad tries to sell me, where a "subscription" would cost me $1000 or so. So I have to buy AutoCad LT, with less functionality for $$800, and if I don't "upgrade" for $3-400 within 3 or 4 years I lose the ability to upgrade.

But its a funny industry, unlike any other that I can think of. They get the consumers to do the advanced beta testing for them, do their own installs, after they sold them the product. And other than the costs of some blank CDs, paper, a box to put it in, and manpower to copy and assemble, the production costs are zero. If they distribute on line, production costs are zero.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Those bars were annoying, they've been removed.

In case anyone hasn't looked yet, try looking at another members profile. It's been enhanced with a tabbed view and looks much better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Those bars were annoying, they've been removed.

In case anyone hasn't looked yet, try looking at another members profile. It's been enhanced with a tabbed view and looks much better.
    that is so sad....it says jimmyc hasn't made any friends yet......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

LOL! I noticed that too! Poor Jim!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Neither of you bastards have any either!

That's something new with the upgrade. I also just noticed that you can send another a regular PM, or "post a visitor" message on their profile page.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    BTW - that would only be 2 less than in real life anyway - Jerome and Porter!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Neither of you bastards have any either!

That's something new with the upgrade. I also just noticed that you can send another a regular PM, or "post a visitor" message on their profile page.
    I can't be a bastard! I really do like how the profile looks, much nicer. Thanks Jim!