Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pentagon warns of June pay crunch for troops

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080506...U3cSmuV.IDW7oF

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The Pentagon warned Tuesday the US Army will not be able to pay its soldiers beyond June 15 unless Congress acts soon on a stalled request from the administration for war funding.

It was the latest salvo in a long-running impasse between the Democratic-controlled Congress and the administration over a 108-billion dollar request to fund US military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan in the 2008 fiscal year.

The pay crunch would be eased if Congress authorized funds to be moved from other accounts to pay soldiers, but the Pentagon is pressing for approval of the full budget request.

"We run out of money in order to pay soldiers after June 15 unless the Congress acts to pass the supplemental or provide us with the reprogramming authorities to move money within accounts," said Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell.

"We do not have the authorities right now to pay soldiers beyond June the 15," he told reporters.

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates last week sent a letter to members of Congress saying he was encouraged to hear they planned to act on the 2008 war funding bill by the Memorial Day holiday on May 26.

Morrell said congressional staffers were briefed on the budget situation earlier Tuesday.

"I know we have raised concerns about this issue before, but we are once again getting down to crunch time," he said.

"And unless Congress appropriates the 108 billion dollars in the next few weeks, most of our troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan could go without pay, and the critical progress they have achieved will be in jeopardy."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope they dont pass it, you will see how much the executive branch really cares about its troops on what happens after it doesnt pass. This will teach alot of people a lesson that the american people dont support this war.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    I hope they dont pass it, you will see how much the executive branch really cares about its troops on what happens after it doesnt pass. This will teach alot of people a lesson that the american people dont support this war.
    Actually, it will simply destroy alot of innocent lives, and drive a bigger wedge. but it's good that you like that thought so much, cause that means they can't pay you either, jackass. Get ready for the unemployment line.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whether executive branch does or doesn't care makes no difference. Why in the HELL punish the troops with no pay because the politicians want to use them as pawns in their power game?

Wrong... wrong... wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

What Democrat Congressman is holding this back?

We should double soldier's pay, immediately.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

why liberals should not be allowed to run a government.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Actually, it will simply destroy alot of innocent lives, and drive a bigger wedge. but it's good that you like that thought so much, cause that means they can't pay you either, jackass. Get ready for the unemployment line.
    I am not in the military so I will keep on with the status quo. Technically the govenment does not have to pay troops but because alot of soldiers are hypocrites by nature they whine and cry about this issue and slam people like me. Who signed the dotted line, who is government issue, all this crap was touted before and now you change your tune, what a bunch of hypocrites you are. You signed the dotted line, they can stop loss you and stop your pay if they want to. Hey you guys are the ones who tout the signed on the dotted line argument not me and you have the nerve to bitch and cry about this issue. This really is quite commical.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Whether executive branch does or doesn't care makes no difference. Why in the HELL punish the troops with no pay because the politicians want to use them as pawns in their power game?

Wrong... wrong... wrong.
    Bush is the king and soldiers are the pawns, congress is just doing there job (half assed anyways because it will probably pass) to stop the american people from being rail roaded by a bad economy created by this war. Hey you signed the dotted line remember.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am not in the military so I will keep on with the status quo. Technically the govenment does not have to pay troops but because alot of soldiers are hypocrites by nature they whine and cry about this issue and slam people like me. Who signed the dotted line, who is government issue, all this crap was touted before and now you change your tune, what a bunch of hypocrites you are. You signed the dotted line, they can stop loss you and stop your pay if they want to. Hey you guys are the ones who tout the signed on the dotted line argument not me and you have the nerve to bitch and cry about this issue. This really is quite commical.
    You have got to be the most ignorant person I've seen on this board...and let me tell you that surpassing some of totally clueless fucktards that have come and gone is a feat I thought impossible.

Military members sign a contract that includes payment for service. And if it comes to pass that the gutless politicians in DC drag their feet on the funding, the military, professionals that they are will continue to take care of business. They don't have and likely don't want the option of going on strike. So go right ahead and wish hardship on those who defend your right to be a stupid asshole!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Actually, you heartless jackass, they can't. Yes, they can dock your pay for violating the UCMJ, but they cannot stop paying just cause. Also, the stop-lossing is illegal, as well, since we already "won" the war in Iraq, according to our own government. You claim you work on contract with the military, tell me, do you think they'll pay you when they can't even pay their own troops? Dig your head out of your ass, then post.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Didn't you supposedly sign the dotted line? Did you accept a paycheck from Uncle Sam before you wet your panties and asked to go home to momma? Does that make you a hypocrite?
    POLITICAL ACTIVISTS CREED
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in people's minds" -Samuel Adams

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
    stand ready to do violence on their behalf."~George Orwell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Interesting coming from someone who 'signed up' and failed, in every way imaginable. Seriously, you win the fuktard of the decade. I'd hope you choke on a chicken or fishbone or something, but realize you probably will outlive Abraham.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    You have got to be the most ignorant person I've seen on this board...and let me tell you that surpassing some of totally clueless fucktards that have come and gone is a feat I thought impossible.

Military members sign a contract that includes payment for service. And if it comes to pass that the gutless politicians in DC drag their feet on the funding, the military, professionals that they are will continue to take care of business. They don't have and likely don't want the option of going on strike. So go right ahead and wish hardship on those who defend your right to be a stupid asshole!
    Thanks MM, you saved me the typing.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 82Marine89 View Post
    Didn't you supposedly sign the dotted line? Did you accept a paycheck from Uncle Sam before you wet your panties and asked to go home to momma? Does that make you a hypocrite?
    He used disappearing ink to sign and then his makeup "ran" cuz of the tears.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow what a string of red neck posts. Our sole coustomers are not the military, I work in oil and gas and everyone in the world needs it so im not to worried. As far as all the other mindless remarks whatever, no one wants to debate they just want to be idiot rednecks and maybe pretty soon you can be an idiot redneck with no paycheck because you signed on the dotted line. It doesnt matter if I signed the dotted line because I dont tout that as an excuse to have to put up with bull shit from idiots.