Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Its a Sears rear tine 5HP model, and I've owned it for 20 years, and worked it hard on both NY sod and Piedmont red clay. I loaned it to a neighbor to break up some hard dirt so he culd put a walk in, and it jammed. I don't blame him, as it's got more than a few hours on it, but I was not around to see it happen. I suspect he threw the shifter into revese with the flywheel still turning, or vice versa. It was getting to the point where it spun for a while after the "clutch" belt was disengaged.

I took the belt off and cannot rotate the input shaft pulley in either direction. I suspect I have a broken gear tooth. I have the parts diagram. As it will take a while to get at the transmission (its practically part of the frame) I don't plan on pulling it apart until I have a free weekend, maybe the last one in March, but most likely mid-April. If I have any problems with it then I'll post here or PM you.

Do you think I have a snowballs chance of fixing it or will I be wasting my time?
    Piece of cake Glock.

We've got two of them torn down right now. One, the shifter was stuck in neutral, the other is "jammed", probably a combination of the shifter, and something else.

Here's the important thing, VERY IMPORTANT, each of these transmissions are HAND ASSEMBLED, the shims, how many there are, and their placement are unique to only THAT transmission.

Lay the trans on its side, with that half of the trans, that has the gear cluster laying against the work surface.

Oh, and another thing, the wheel shaft, and the tiller shaft must be clean, and free of rust, that's the side you'll be lifting away from the rest of the transmission. The littlest piece of dirt will drive you nuts, cause it will hang the transmission half from slipping over those shafts. A little prep work goes a long way.

The Sears unit you have is made by AYP(American Yard Products)actually a German/Swedish conglomerate, Electroluxe.

Good luck.....
    If ya can't prove it, don't say it.
    Bikes, babes, and beer, it don't get no better than that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trobinett View Post
    Piece of cake Glock.

We've got two of them torn down right now. One, the shifter was stuck in neutral, the other is "jammed", probably a combination of the shifter, and something else.

Here's the important thing, VERY IMPORTANT, each of these transmissions are HAND ASSEMBLED, the shims, how many there are, and their placement are unique to only THAT transmission.

Lay the trans on its side, with that half of the trans, that has the gear cluster laying against the work surface.

Oh, and another thing, the wheel shaft, and the tiller shaft must be clean, and free of rust, that's the side you'll be lifting away from the rest of the transmission. The littlest piece of dirt will drive you nuts, cause it will hang the transmission half from slipping over those shafts. A little prep work goes a long way.

The Sears unit you have is made by AYP(American Yard Products)actually a German/Swedish conglomerate, Electroluxe.

Good luck.....
    Electroluxe? good vacuum cleaner!
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Yea they are, they also make Husqvarna chain saws, Poulan and were looking at buying Murray but Briggs, and Stratton out bid them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I bought an Electrolux refrigerator and it's frigging gorgeous (floor model, awesome price break) but the electronics are impossible to figger out. Plus it doesn't cool the water on the freezer door!? And it was made in Austrailia! That's about as far away as can be and still be on the same planet!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought an Electrolux refrigerator and it's frigging gorgeous (floor model, awesome price break) but the electronics are impossible to figger out. Plus it doesn't cool the water on the freezer door!? And it was made in Austrailia! That's about as far away as can be and still be on the same planet!
    I beg to differ, San Francisco is the champ in that somewhat dubious distinction.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I'm still working on the tiller. I had to use gear and wheel pullers to take the tines and wheels off. The problem was a seized bearing on the input shaft. Sears had the parts, but their web site sold me 6 bearing seals instead of the two I ordered. I have the case back together and everything shifts and turns smoothly. I screwed up tough, and forgot to replace the tine shaft seals before I assembled it. They can only be reached from the outside anyway, and I have to cut off the rivets that hold the cups that hold the bearings and seals in place. One of the cups is messed up and they don't sell that part, so I'll have to make something. If I have to weld or the rivets fall into the case I'll have to dissasemble.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm still working on the tiller. I had to use gear and wheel pullers to take the tines and wheels off. The problem was a seized bearing on the input shaft. Sears had the parts, but their web site sold me 6 bearing seals instead of the two I ordered. I have the case back together and everything shifts and turns smoothly. I screwed up tough, and forgot to replace the tine shaft seals before I assembled it. They can only be reached from the outside anyway, and I have to cut off the rivets that hold the cups that hold the bearings and seals in place. One of the cups is messed up and they don't sell that part, so I'll have to make something. If I have to weld or the rivets fall into the case I'll have to dissasemble.
    I'm all for Do it yourself stuff...but I've come to a point that the trash and a new one works in many cases. An age thing I think, I just don't want to screw with it.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I'm all for Do it yourself stuff...but I've come to a point that the trash and a new one works in many cases. An age thing I think, I just don't want to screw with it.
    I considered that before taking this one on, but a new one is $850. The parts were about $60.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I considered that before taking this one on, but a new one is $850. The parts were about $60.
    Well that makes it an easy decision. Man, is it a tractor?

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Well that makes it an easy decision. Man, is it a tractor?
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Nearly. It will pull shit around. Looks like its on sale now. Hasn't changed much in 20 years.