Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "We let the soldiers down" Army Secretary Francis J. Harvey.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070303/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/walter_reed

"From what I have learned, the problems at Walter Reed appear to be problems of leadership," Gates said.
    From what I have learned I have to agree. All the way to the top.

Tell me now and tell me true- who really "supports the troops"?

Gem
    Patriotism is the last refuge...
    To which a scoundrel clings.
    Steal a little and they throw you in jail...
    Steal a lot and they make you King!

Hell is not where you may be going.
    Hell is where you choose to remain.

Dire Straits. & ...just to set me right!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gem View Post
    From what I have learned I have to agree. All the way to the top.

Tell me now and tell me true- who really "supports the troops"?

Gem
    You trolling or what?

I have been one of those "troops" you supposedly support. I'll take the poor conditions at Walter Reed any day over being treated like a second class citizen or even some kind of sub-human by a bunch of anti-war activists and college kids who haven't got the common sense of a rabid dog.

Here is another hot flash for ya...this didn't happen overnight. It takes money to run those care facilities and when the defense budgets get cut so libs can support those no working, lazy ass baby factories EVRYTHING gets cut in the military, including health care.

You can take your politically convenient "support" for the troops and put it where the sun dont shine!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Humm they should have handled the problem without having to be outed by the media first. Considering even Bush said it was a shame. This guy was right to resign but the general they fired first was just the scape goat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    You trolling or what?

I have been one of those "troops" you supposedly support. I'll take the poor conditions at Walter Reed any day over being treated like a second class citizen or even some kind of sub-human by a bunch of anti-war activists and college kids who haven't got the common sense of a rabid dog.

Here is another hot flash for ya...this didn't happen overnight. It takes money to run those care facilities and when the defense budgets get cut so libs can support those no working, lazy ass baby factories EVRYTHING gets cut in the military, including health care.

You can take your politically convenient "support" for the troops and put it where the sun dont shine!
    Maybe those budgets got cut because the military was too busy purchasing $400.00 toilet seats and $150.00 hammers at taxpayer expense to take care of serious business like keeping Walter Reed up to snuff and operationally ready in case of a war- justified or not.
    You can take that and stuff it where the sun don't shine too!

Touche', Holmes!

Gem

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    Humm they should have handled the problem without having to be outed by the media first. Considering even Bush said it was a shame. This guy was right to resign but the general they fired first was just the scape goat.
    That's a fact! Those conditions at Walter Reed have apparently been an on-going reality for at least twenty years! The way I see it, if they- as in "Bush&Co"- can spend hundreds of billions of taxpayer money to finance a dishonorable war then how is it that they didn't spend at least tens of millions getting Walter Reed up to snuff for the impending invasion and occupation of Iraq? Oh, that's "right"- they were certain that we would be greeted as liberators and be out of there in 6 months- a year tops- so they probably didn't think it was necessary to spend all that money on getting Walter Reed prepared. Besides, all those $400.00 toilet seats for the Officers Clubs and offices adds up quick!

Gem
    Last edited by Gem; 03-03-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Considering they already started making repairs before the story broke and it takes considerably time to procur the funds and make plans, I would say they were handling the problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That's a fact! Those conditions at Walter Reed have apparently been an on-going reality for at least twenty years! The way I see it, if they- as in "Bush&Co"- can spend hundreds of billions of taxpayer money to finance a dishonorable war then how is it that they didn't spend at least tens of millions getting Walter Reed up to snuff for the impending invasion and occupation of Iraq? Oh, that's "right"- they were certain that we would be greeted as liberators and be out of there in 6 months- a year tops- so they probably didn't think it was necessary to spend all that money on getting Walter Reed prepared. Besides, all those $400.00 toilet seats for the Officers Clubs and offices adds up quick!

Gem
    How about the 8 years of Clinton rule, are you excusing him because he was too busy pardoning felons, raping women, giving the Chinese missle design secrets, closing military bases and cutting defense spending, childishly putting cigars in a young woman his daughter's age, most private parts, dodging the lamps thrown by his"wife", testifying in court that he doesn't know the definition of is, taking an entourage of 1200 close "friends" to India at taxpayer's expense, firing millions of dollars worth of cruise missles at an aspirin factory, starting wars in Bosnia and Haiti or beung impeached.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Maybe those budgets got cut because the military was too busy purchasing $400.00 toilet seats and $150.00 hammers at taxpayer expense to take care of serious business like keeping Walter Reed up to snuff and operationally ready in case of a war- justified or not.
    You can take that and stuff it where the sun don't shine too!

Touche', Holmes!

Gem
    You have no idea! Those budget cuts were made to fund welfare, to provide grants to "artists" who throw crucufixes into jars of rine, and to send snot nosed kids who don't deserve it to school. Not to mention provide housing for lazy SOBs who would rather sell drugs than get a job.

I gather from your reply that my assumption about how YOU support the troops is correct. You care far more about the politics than you do about wounded soldiers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Kinda goes to show ya how much our Democrat pols cared about and supported the troops. Obviously they NEVER visited Walter Reed or they would have been all over this like stink on shit. Same goes for all the libs out there like Gem claiming to support the troops.

Sometimes the hypocricy is overwhelming.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kinda goes to show ya how much our Democrat pols cared about and supported the troops. Obviously they NEVER visited Walter Reed or they would have been all over this like stink on shit. Same goes for all the libs out there like Gem claiming to support the troops.

Ever heard the saying that "Those that the Gods wish to destroy they first make angry"? You sound upset, CSM. Why are you so angry?
    Hint: Anger is a secondary emotion resulting from an underlying primary emotion. What primary emotion is it that is creating your anger, CSM? Do you know?

Gem

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Ever heard the saying that "Those that the Gods wish to destroy they first make angry"? You sound upset, CSM. Why are you so angry?
    Hint: Anger is a secondary emotion resulting from an underlying primary emotion. What primary emotion is it that is creating your anger, CSM? Do you know?

Gem
    Can't speak for CSM, but I get pissed every time you libs try your damnedest to politicize and twist the truth to suit your agenda. The problem with military health care facilities is endemic to military/government bureaucracy, because of the bureuacracy, not a single President and/or member of one political party or the next.

Walter Reed was just as crappy a place for eight years under Clinton, 4 years under Carter, and 7 years under Johnson as it has been the Republican President's during that time.

When you get your happy little ass out their, underfunded, undereuqipped and underarmed, and dependent on substandard medical facilities and care for yourself and your family so some jackoff President can make the numbers on a sheet of paper balance out, THEN you may presume to tell those of us that have already lived that life day-in and day-out "what it's all about," and who caused it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You have no idea! Those budget cuts were made to fund welfare, to provide grants to "artists" who throw crucufixes into jars of rine, and to send snot nosed kids who don't deserve it to school. Not to mention provide housing for lazy SOBs who would rather sell drugs than get a job.

I gather from your reply that my assumption about how YOU support the troops is correct. You care far more about the politics than you do about wounded soldiers.
    I care about the politics because it's the politics of the current Administration that put those soldiers in harms way to get wounded in an unjustified and unnecessary war, and it's the malfeasance of the current administration that has led to this situation at Walter Reed. I know one thing- whenever I embark on an adventure I make sure I have a reasonable contingency plan in place and do my best to make sure all systems are in good working order and ready to go. Obviously Bush&Co were slackin' in that respect. Oh, btw, Clinton hasn't been President in over 6 years. I don't know about you, but I prefer living in the present, not in someone elses past. Bitchin' about Clinton won't do a damn bit of good concerning what it is we need to deal with today. You're lagging behind, brother!

Gem

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The building they had all the politicans vistit was in pretty good shape. it was the one off to the side that they never saw that was the mess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Gem
    Yeah, I know exactly where it comes from....it stems from coming home wounded from a war and having arrogant and hypocritical folks just like you spit on me as I walked by. It comes from hearing folks like you call me ignorant and stupid because I think this country is worth fighting for. It comes from people like you who think ideas like freedom, loyalty, and patriotism are mere political talking points. It comes from people like you who tell me that soldiers (many of them my friends) deserve to be killed or maimed because they "volunteered and knew what they were getting into". It comes from people just like you who think they are morally superior to others because you embrace the cause celebre' ... whether said cause makes sense or not. It comes from people just like ou who make talking points out of dead soldiers and their grieving families.

My anger stems from your arrogance, hypocricy and smug ignorance...that is where my anger comes from.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Can't speak for CSM, but I get pissed every time you libs try your damnedest to politicize and twist the truth to suit your agenda. The problem with military health care facilities is endemic to military/government bureaucracy, because of the bureuacracy, not a single President and/or member of one political party or the next.

Walter Reed was just as crappy a place for eight years under Clinton, 4 years under Carter, and 7 years under Johnson as it has been the Republican President's during that time.

When you get your happy little ass out their, underfunded, undereuqipped and underarmed, and dependent on substandard medical facilities and care for yourself and your family so some jackoff President can make the numbers on a sheet of paper balance out, THEN you may presume to tell those of us that have already lived that life day-in and day-out "what it's all about," and who caused it.

So what you're telling me is that it was the military/government bureuacracy that left your ass "out there", underfunded, underequiped and underarmed and dependant on substandard medical facilities and not the liberal anti-war crowd that put you through all that? If that's the case then why aren't you raising Holy Hell with the "Powers-that-be" that left your happy little ass out there to dry? Why blame it all on the liberals, when it was US liberals that were raising Holy Hell about the very same underfunded, underequiped and underarmed situation the Bush Administration subjected presumably you and your fellow soldiers to?

I think it's time for folks like you to put the blame exactly where it belongs, unless it's easier for folks like you to vent your frustrations on "easier" and less "threatening" targets like liberals and the anti-war crowd.

Gem
    Last edited by Gem; 03-03-2007 at 07:04 PM.