Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Steel Cage

For now, and perhaps just temporarily the Steel Cage is a place that only threads can be started by staff or have threads moved into that forum. This was done in the hope that a more civil discourse would take place on Debate Policy.

We are adults here, we can have different points of view and interesting discussion without posts and threads becoming filled with gutter talk and insults.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

You had me at "more civil discourse."

"I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    For now, and perhaps just temporarily the Steel Cage is a place that only threads can be started by staff or have threads moved into that forum. This was done in the hope that a more civil discourse would take place on Debate Policy.

We are adults here, we can have different points of view and interesting discussion without posts and threads becoming filled with gutter talk and insults.
    You can put a stop to it and still have the cage open to threads started by everyone, you know what has to be done for that to happen, hopefully that is coming soon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    You had me at "more civil discourse."

LOL
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

If you really want to improve "civil discourse" on DP, leave The Cage unmoderated and prohibit harsh talk outside of it.

If The Cage is merely another forum, with the same rules, there is no use in having it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    You can put a stop to it and still have the cage open to threads started by everyone, you know what has to be done for that to happen, hopefully that is coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    If you really want to improve "civil discourse" on DP, leave The Cage unmoderated and prohibit harsh talk outside of it.

If The Cage is merely another forum, with the same rules, there is no use in having it.
    Opening The Steel Cage to new threads and unmoderated it is certianly possible. What are the possiblities that civil discourse will take place with little moderation or cries of bias or infringement of speech? Actually I believe it is quite possible, we are all adults here. Can the board go a few days without talk of one member doing something with or to someone else's ass, or one member accusing another member of using their mouth in repsect to someone else's body fluids? I realize this a debate forum and different perspectives and points of view are present here and the very natural of a political board will cause heated an emotional responses. That's fine, but come on, we can all do a little better. I may not agree with some on the left, I may even find them quite annoying and irratating and vice versa, but I don't need to drag their family into anything. You should see the amount of reported posts the staff wades through," hey this member said this, hey this member said that, do something about it!" Good Lord!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Opening The Steel Cage to new threads and unmoderated it is certianly possible. What are the possiblities that civil discourse will take place with little moderation or cries of bias or infringement of speech? Actually I believe it is quite possible, we are all adults here. Can the board go a few days without talk of one member doing something with or to someone else's ass, or one member accusing another member of using their mouth in repsect to someone else's body fluids? I realize this a debate forum and different perspectives and points of view are present here and the very natural of a political board will cause heated an emotional responses. That's fine, but come on, we can all do a little better. I may not agree with some on the left, I may even find them quite annoying and irratating and vice versa, but I don't need to drag their family into anything. You should see the amount of reported posts the staff wades through," hey this member said this, hey this member said that, do something about it!" Good Lord!
    Well there are a few that need jerked by the shirt collar...no doubt about it.
    IMO control of the forum will not control their behavior around the board. Good luck with it though.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I agree wholeheartedly. I've only been here a few days but some these threads have turned into bare knuckle brawls rather than well thought out arguments.

God bless America and our freedom of speech but sometimes it's more like an elementary school playground in here rather than a place for adults with opposing ideas to debate issues.

Truth be told I was very tempted to jump into a couple of the brawls but my language skills didn't meet up to the task since I don't use foul language any more. Well ok maybe a few times over the last 13 years but I mean only a very few times and I'm not trying sound holier than thou either.

It is just my very humble opinion that more can be made of a position without vile insults and foul language than with it. It lowers everyone to the level of Liberals who have no real substantive arguments for their positions. They just emote all over the page.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is just my very humble opinion that more can be made of a position without vile insults and foul language than with it. It lowers everyone to the level of Liberals who have no real substantive arguments for their positions. They just emote all over the page.
    So much for logic

Couldn't discipline yerself could ya, get into the schoolyard, you're ready for it
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this has been what the board has turned into recently

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z52wnFAVNBI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z52wnFAVNBI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQej27tSpY0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQej27tSpY0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i38X8GA0wAY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i38X8GA0wAY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Last edited by actsnoblemartin; 06-05-2008 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

we are all adults here.
    Biker you know i've been conversing with you on Jimmy's boards for 4.5 yrs now and you've always had my undying respect for being a levelheaded guy but you've got to be kidding me with this!

We're not all adults and you know exactly what i'm talking about. There is a cancer here, well a few cancers, and cancer just doesn't go away on its own, it has to be physically removed.

Come on my friend, you know exactly what i'm talking about, if you don't just check out the authors of the first 20 or 30 threads STARTED in the cage, well actually some weren't started there but were quickly moved there after a few posts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    this has been what the board has turned into recently

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z52wnFAVNBI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z52wnFAVNBI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQej27tSpY0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQej27tSpY0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i38X8GA0wAY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i38X8GA0wAY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Funny, Ray you are the biggest contributor to the current rancor on the board, its like Charlie Manson preaching to John Wayne Gacy.

Noone here likes you, deal with it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    Funny, Ray you are the biggest contributor to the current rancor on the board, its like Charlie Manson preaching to John Wayne Gacy.

Noone here likes you, deal with it.

The biggest contributor is ACTS...He is a hypocrite.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are quite a few hypocrites here and if it's a witch hunt your after, forget about Martin and start with the morons that hound the guy relentlessly.They know who they are, if anyone is in any doubt I will name them for you.It amazes me that some here are banned at the drop of a hat while others gang rape particular members with impunity.Closing the cage won't make a difference, do what you know you have to do and ban them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
    There are quite a few hypocrites here and if it's a witch hunt your after, forget about Martin and start with the morons that hound the guy relentlessly.They know who they are, if anyone is in any doubt I will name them for you.It amazes me that some here are banned at the drop of a hat while others gang rape particular members with impunity.Closing the cage won't make a difference, do what you know you have to do and ban them.
    ROTFLMFAO!