I could write you a few books on the subject but you'd prbably get bored after the first paragraph or two, crin63.

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
I think that is a good question. I'm not a grandparent yet, thank God.

I got custody of my boys when they were 6 & 3. I didn't leave them behind. Not that it was a sacrifice, its just background info. Both are in college now. I gave their mom everything we owned except their stuff, my clothes, tools & guns and the oldest car we had so she would quit fighting for the boys.

I worked 23 years of Industrial construction, with a pretty battered body the last 6 years and moderate back pain the 10 years prior to that. I averaged 2400 hours a year the last 14 years without missing a Sunday at church since 1996 except a couple times due to illness. I went through 3 industrial injuries and 2 auto accidents but kept working up until the surgeries.

I took 2-3 weeks off a year. 1 week was to direct the kids at my churches summer camp. The other 1 or 2 weeks I went with my kids school as a sponsor when they were competing in academics, athletics, arts & crafts and music.

I don't know how you quantify that or determine batting average but thats a quick rundown. I did whatever was necessary for my family and to the best of my ability what I thought was right.
The batting average is how you handle the adversities without resorting to self martyrdom or checking yourself into a mental institution, I guess. The kids deserve all the teaching and understanding you can give them. Nothing more but more importantly nothing less.