Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default re: College vs. Non - income expectations

re: Kath's thread: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=15134

Got me thinking - what do you consider a 'good' income for somebody (not household) without a college degree, local area Cost of Living notwithstanding, I'd consider somebody without a degree making $100k to be a great' income. 75-99k would be 'pretty darn good'. 50-74K = doing pretty well. 40-50K = Average. Comfortably Making ends meet. Less than 40K = working hard to make ends meet.

For somebody with a degree I'd say things drop just a bit. For a Master's Degree holder, 100K wouldn't be 'very good' - but it would be 'good'. 74-99k would be 'well off', 50-74k would be 'doing pretty well', I'd expect a Master's degree holder to make more than 40-50K.

These are LOOSE lines, of course. How do you define 'good salary' in context of somebody's formal education?

Thoughts?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post

Got me thinking - what do you consider a 'good' income for somebody (not household) without a college degree, local area Cost of Living notwithstanding, I'd consider somebody without a degree making $100k to be a great' income. 75-99k would be 'pretty darn good'. 50-74K = doing pretty well. 40-50K = Average. Comfortably Making ends meet. Less than 40K = working hard to make ends meet.

For somebody with a degree I'd say things drop just a bit. For a Master's Degree holder, 100K wouldn't be 'very good' - but it would be 'good'. 74-99k would be 'well off', 50-74k would be 'doing pretty well', I'd expect a Master's degree holder to make more than 40-50K.

These are LOOSE lines, of course. How do you define 'good salary' in context of somebody's formal education?

Thoughts?
    Of course it depends on the position and where one lives. A teacher with a MS/MA here makes around $80k-110k depending on length of service. Public schools only. Without master's, lower by about $15-20k after 10 years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Philly cops as an example of salary for a tough job that does not technically require a degree:

The current yearly salary for a Police Officer Recruit in the Police Academy is $38,481.

All candidates must have proof of their high school diploma or their final GED scores as part of their background. At this time the Phila. Police Department does not require a college degree. But many of our officers are either going back to finish a degree or going to college to start getting a degree. Also as part of the police training curriculum you will receive college credits upon graduation. Good reading and writing skills are essential in executing your duties as a police officer.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think your numbers may be a bit high.....you may find certain folks doing well without a college education, but they are generally going to be skilled workers.....a manager at Best Buy for example may be making $50k a year, but for every manager there are going to be a hundred people working the floor for $20k.....

and a plumber, electrician, carpenter may be able to make $60k a year, but if there is a housing slump and nothing is going to be built, they may be making $15k.......

I recall graduating from law school and taking my first job with a firm in 1974.....I was paid $10.5k a year....I had been working as a welder part time to pay my student loans during college.....if I had been working full time as a welder in 1974, I would have made $15k a year......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 06-11-2008 at 11:01 AM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post

Thoughts?
    Darrin, I think your numbers are dependent upon where you live! If you live in a lower income state you will not be making the bigger money. this is just my opinion but the rest of the US is not like the coasts. I think you will find this out with your new home....
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Right - I understand how folk living in dif areas make different amounts - but when somebody says 'I make x/year' do you think that's GOOD or BAD based on their education? Even those in SOCAL would understand that for everybody but THEM, $100k/year is pretty good. So - divorce yourself from where you happen to live - or NOT...I guess I don't care....

So - based on where you live, what salaries are high and low for people w/ or w/o degrees?

My numbers were based on what I know of the cost of living here...AND in the previous location (Western WA state). $100k/year hear is Good. $100k/year back in Tacoma, WA is good, too!

Discuss.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm on the low end of that spectrum, but I don't have a masters yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depends on what you get your degree in. Some jobs want big degrees but don't pay all that much considering all the school around 40 to 60 grand a year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow my pay sucks
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

in 1982 i made 20 / hr as an apprentice carpenter

in 1984 i made 8 / hr as an "architect" with a 5 year degree / bach of architecture

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Education has something to do with it. So does time in the workforce. Only a few leave B-school with $100K jobs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you live within your means, do you really need to worry about what someone a thousand miles away makes? THere are so many variables to this equation you cannot complete it. Where you live, who you work fr. All of that changes the equation.

Me, I work for the same pay as everyone else with the same grade andtme in service. I do ok. When you add in all the benefits they tell me I get I do quite well. But you have to add in the health benefits and such. Straight on base pay I do not do good, But when you add in BAS and BAQ (food and housin) I do ok. As an 5-6 in the militsry I bring in around $50.000. Low on your scale, but surviving nicely.

AF
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain