Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default I LOVE the bible belt...NOT!!!

No link current but with permission. I called, thanks Alice!

I hate 'blue laws' it used to be MUCH worst here. There was a time (mid late 60s) EVERY business was closed on Sunday except grocery and drug stores. All you could buy were 'essential' items. Many store managers were arrested for selling non-essential items, candy, snacks etc.

Thump on, thump on Sadie Fields, chairman of the Georgia Christian Alliance.

Rockdale Citizen
    Bill proposes Sunday beer, wine sales

By Dave Williams
    Staff Writer
    dave.williams@rockdalecitizen.com

ATLANTA — Local governments across Georgia could choose to allow Sunday sales of beer and wine in supermarkets and convenience stores under legislation introduced Thursday by a Republican senator.

The bill would authorize city and county elected officials to put Sunday alcohol sales before voters in their communities.

Indeed, local control promises to be a major argument legislative backers will use in trying to sway their colleagues to disregard expected opposition from Christian conservatives and support the measure.

“I believe strongly that we as senators have our first responsibility to the citizens of our respective districts,’’ Sen. Seth Harp, R-Midland, the bill’s chief sponsor, said Thursday in a speech on the Senate floor. “The opportunity to allow them to make that decision is one of the most
    fundamental rights that exists in our form of government.”

The General Assembly passed legislation a decade ago allowing local-option Sunday sales of alcoholic beverages in bars and restaurants. Promotes drinking and driving...IMO
    But the Legislature has rejected periodic efforts since then to extend the law to retail stores.

Georgia, Connecticut and Indiana are the only states in the nation that don’t allow Sunday retail sales of beer and wine.

Harp’s bill has the backing of the grocery and convenience store industries, which post signs and darken beer and wine aisles on Sundays to show shoppers that those products are off limits.

Jim Tudor, a lobbyist for the Georgia Association of Convenience Stores, pointed to two recent polls as evidence that the state is ready for Sunday sales of beer and wine.

The surveys, conducted by renowned national polling firm Mason-Dixon and by Atlanta-based Insider Advantage, found support for giving voters a say on the issue at 68 percent and 66 percent, respectively.

Tudor said many of today’s Georgians have moved from other states and are used to being able to buy beer and wine on Sundays along with their other groceries for the week.
    “For many of our stores, Sunday is the first or second busiest shopping day of the week,’’ he said.

But Sadie Fields, chairman of the Georgia Christian Alliance, said her organization and others that oppose the bill believe Sunday should be treated as a holy day, as is taught in the Bible.
    “We’re always in favor of free enterprise,” she said. “But the Sabbath has been a day of worship, rest, family and reflection.”

Christian conservatives likely will be joined by Georgia’s liquor store lobby in working against the bill. Since the legislation would apply only to beer and wine, liquor store owners argue it would be put them at a competitive disadvantage.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

At least they are going to open it up to local voting. So non-fundimentalist communities can then vote to change the silly laws.

You can by beer and wine in Indiana on Sunday after 1 pm.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there some reason its so vital to buy alcohol on sunday? I mean did you drink so much saturday night that you need to restock, if so how the heck did you wake up sunday?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Is there some reason its so vital to buy alcohol on sunday? I mean did you drink so much saturday night that you need to restock, if so how the heck did you wake up sunday?
    I was out of beer and was at the grocery store to get some groceries so picked up a 6 pack while I was at it. I lived by myself and did my grocery shopping on Sunday. nothing vital about it just convienence.

Just cause someone likes a beer once in a while doesn't mean they are always falling down drunk.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No it's not vital. Is it vital to restrict the sale on Sunday? Why?

Shall we continue to promote drinking and driving on Sunday since you can drink at a restaurant then drive, but can't buy and sit home?

There is no logical reason for these laws.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    No it's not vital. Is it vital to restrict the sale on Sunday? Why?

Shall we continue to promote drinking and driving on Sunday since you can drink at a restaurant then drive, but can't buy and sit home?

There is no logical reason for these laws.
    It's true there is no reason. There's no reason for anybody to not be able to do business on Sunday. I believe most states have the law of no sale of liquor or beer and wine on Sunday morning. It's silly but placates the fundimentalist crowd.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Vital?? How 'bout Sunday isn't my sabbath and I don't particularly care to not be able to buy a bottle of wine for my dinner if I so choose... whether it's Sunday or not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    Vital?? How 'bout Sunday isn't my sabbath and I don't particularly care to not be able to buy a bottle of wine for my dinner if I so choose... whether it's Sunday or not.
    If you dont like it vote against it.

It amazes me how few people seem to understand the concept of a democracy. The people make the rules. If a community wants to pass a law that says people have to wear red on tuesday, its their right to do so in a democracy regardless how stupid others might think the law is and regardless their reasoning behind it. who the heck are you to tell them they can't pass such a law?

Stop trying to force your will on majorities who disagree.

Individual people doing what they want isn't freedom, its anarchy. Freedom comes when communities can determine their own destiny through the elective process. When you start telling them they can pass along because you disagree with it and then try to force them to listen to you, they aren't a free people any more.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shit.... they must think Nevada is an extension of HELL then....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you dont like it vote against it.

It amazes me how few people seem to understand the concept of a democracy. The people make the rules. If a community wants to pass a law that says people have to wear red on tuesday, its their right to do so in a democracy regardless how stupid others might think the law is and regardless their reasoning behind it. who the heck are you to tell them they can't pass such a law?

Stop trying to force your will on majorities who disagree.

Individual people doing what they want isn't freedom, its anarchy. Freedom comes when communities can determine their own destiny through the elective process. When you start telling them they can pass along because you disagree with it and then try to force them to listen to you, they aren't a free people any more.
    So if a majority of people wanted communism or taking away our guns, you'd be all for it?

We are NOT a democracy. We are a constitutional republic with democratically elected legislators, who are theoretically bound by the parameters set forth in the constitution.
    Last edited by TheSage; 01-13-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    I was out of beer and was at the grocery store to get some groceries so picked up a 6 pack while I was at it. I lived by myself and did my grocery shopping on Sunday. nothing vital about it just convienence.

Just cause someone likes a beer once in a while doesn't mean they are always falling down drunk.
    Isn't that like eating one Lays potato chip?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what difference should it make what day of the week it is? If buying alcohol is legal, it's legal. This day of the week crap is nothing more than Christians trying to cram their religious beliefs down everyone else's throats. If some Christians don't want to buy booze on Sunday, I know of no law anywhere that forces them to put that twelve-pack in their grocery cart against their wishes.

Don't think buying booze on Sunday is right? DOn't buy any.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Isn't that like eating one Lays potato chip?
    for alcoholics, it is..... for the rest of us, it isn't.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    Get a sense of humor.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    oh gosh...I'm sorry...I guess I forgot to add the " "