Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default U.S. Commanders admit: We Face A Vietnam Style Collapse

The Generals and Admirals Know about It. Ask 2nd LT. Bush about it.

"An elite team of officers advising the US commander, General David Petraeus, in Baghdad has concluded that they have six months to win the war in Iraq - or face a Vietnam-style collapse in political and public support that could force the military into a hasty retreat.

The officers - combat veterans who are experts in counter-insurgency - are charged with implementing the "new way forward" strategy announced by George Bush on January 10. The plan includes a controversial "surge" of 21,500 additional American troops to establish security in the Iraqi capital and Anbar province.

But the team, known as the "Baghdad brains trust" and ensconced in the heavily fortified Green Zone, is struggling to overcome a range of entrenched problems in what has become a race against time, according to a former senior administration official familiar with their deliberations.

"They know they are operating under a clock. They know they are going to hear a lot more talk in Washington about 'Plan B' by the autumn - meaning withdrawal. They know the next six-month period is their opportunity. And they say it's getting harder every day," he said."

More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,2023865,00.html

Maybe, but only maybe, he knows better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post

"An elite team of officers advising the US commander, General David Petraeus, in Baghdad has concluded that they have six months to win the war in Iraq - or face a Vietnam-style collapse in political and public support that could force the military into a hasty retreat.

The officers - combat veterans who are experts in counter-insurgency - are charged with implementing the "new way forward" strategy announced by George Bush on January 10. The plan includes a controversial "surge" of 21,500 additional American troops to establish security in the Iraqi capital and Anbar province.

But the team, known as the "Baghdad brains trust" and ensconced in the heavily fortified Green Zone, is struggling to overcome a range of entrenched problems in what has become a race against time, according to a former senior administration official familiar with their deliberations.

"They know they are operating under a clock. They know they are going to hear a lot more talk in Washington about 'Plan B' by the autumn - meaning withdrawal. They know the next six-month period is their opportunity. And they say it's getting harder every day," he said."

Operating under a clock is the WHOLE problem. If there is a Vietnam-style collapse, it will be the fault of the same people who caused the one in Vietnam -- pussies like you.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

"a former senior official" ... unnamed of course. Doesn't that raise just a teesny bit of suspicion for you???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    "a former senior official" ... unnamed of course. Doesn't that raise just a teesny bit of suspicion for you???
    It always is 'former' isn't it? Former intellegence, former inspector, former staff member, former CIA blah, blah..Weren't these folks doing their job before they were 'former'?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    It always is 'former' isn't it? Former intellegence, former inspector, former staff member, former CIA blah, blah..Weren't these folks doing their job before they were 'former'?
    Apparently not. Personally I think it's all the same guy; moved from job to job because he was just plain incompetent....hmmmmmm....maybe it was Psycho!!!! After all, he's been every where and done every thing!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Apparently not. Personally I think it's all the same guy; moved from job to job because he was just plain incompetent....hmmmmmm....maybe it was Psycho!!!! After all, he's been every where and done every thing!
    I think yer on to something.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did my job, chickenshit, and I did it well. I was promoted above my colleagues and commended often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I think yer on to something.
    The allegations as espoused here by others are simply false.

Are you shittin' or eatin' it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I did my job, chickenshit, and I did it well. I was promoted above my colleagues and commended often.

The allegations as espoused here by others are simply false.

Are you shittin' or eatin' it?
    According to you, you did your job and everybody else's. Simultaneously.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just when did I ever say that, gunny?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    According to you, you did your job and everybody else's. Simultaneously.
    No doubt, I did more than you but that is an ambition and ability difference as opposed to your rank and military position fixation, don't you think?