Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why The GOP Is Doomed

This nails the issue of why the GOP is headed for a major defeat this fall.

-------------
    Republicans are and should be panicked over the fact that conservative Democrat Travis Childers just defeated Republican Greg Davis by a margin of 54%-46% in the race for a vacant Mississippi congressional seat. That seat is in a conservative district that had given President Bush a 25-point margin of victory over John Kerry in 2004 - it never should have flipped Democrat. This is the third double-digit loss in a row for Republican candidates in conservative districts across the United States.

Childers' victory came one week after Rep. Don Cazayoux won a House seat in the Baton Rouge, La., area that had been in Republican hands for three decades. Over the winter, Rep. Bill Foster won an election in Illinois to succeed former House Speaker Dennis Hastert, who had been in Congress more than 20 years.

What we're watching is the culmination of the decade-plus deterioration of the conservative Republican brand. Put simply, no one, including base conservatives, trusts the Republicans to govern effectively while following anything even faintly resembling a conservative platform.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...ern_lik_1.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    This nails the issue of why the GOP is headed for a major defeat this fall.

-------------
    Republicans are and should be panicked over the fact that conservative Democrat Travis Childers just defeated Republican Greg Davis by a margin of 54%-46% in the race for a vacant Mississippi congressional seat. That seat is in a conservative district that had given President Bush a 25-point margin of victory over John Kerry in 2004 - it never should have flipped Democrat. This is the third double-digit loss in a row for Republican candidates in conservative districts across the United States.

Childers' victory came one week after Rep. Don Cazayoux won a House seat in the Baton Rouge, La., area that had been in Republican hands for three decades. Over the winter, Rep. Bill Foster won an election in Illinois to succeed former House Speaker Dennis Hastert, who had been in Congress more than 20 years.

What we're watching is the culmination of the decade-plus deterioration of the conservative Republican brand. Put simply, no one, including base conservatives, trusts the Republicans to govern effectively while following anything even faintly resembling a conservative platform.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...ern_lik_1.html
    What have you done to fix it? And what makes you think that your candidate and party wouldn't turn into exactly the same thing once, if hell freezes over, Barr would get in? Barr obviously has an ego problem, he could have waited until 2012 to pull his bullshit but instead has decided to run now, when 2 Supreme Court Justice positions will open and the Democrats already have a majority in both houses of Congress....... his pretend candidacy will insure Obama's election and majorities in all three branches of the government ........ all to try to get less than a third of Rush Limbaugh's audience to vote for him. If Rush would run, he could easily get 20 million votes and you guys think it will change the world if Barr gets 3.......
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    What have you done to fix it?
    Not my party, not my problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So you were never a Republican supporter?
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you were never a Republican supporter?
    I was... but the GOP has ideologically left me. They no longer support small government, so I no longer support them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mississippi.

I live in the First Congressional District in Mississippi, and I can tell you why the GOP lost the seat. The candidate ran a campaign just like another right wing thug. He tried to cast the Democrat as a liberal and tie him to Obama and Hillary. That insulted the intelligence of a lot of the voters. He gave us the same ole same ole right wing wedge issues that we've all grown tired of. He never told us why we should vote for him. He also didn't understand that the District is a rural district, while he comes from a fast growing municipality on the outskirts of Memphis.

Being a Democrat in Mississippi doesn't mean that you're a liberal, far from it, and people have grown tired of the right wing liberal bogey man.

I predicted Childers' win several weeks before the election. He's no wonderful person himself, being tied to the Langston law firm in Booneville who was mixed up with Dickie Scruggs, as well as having a crooked reputation. Still, I voted for him because I am mad at the GOP. The neocons in charge have betrayed real conservative principles in favor of money and power.

The GOP may lose Trent Lott's Senate seat also, although I'm not calling that one at this time. There may be an October surprise that could hurt the Democrat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I was... but the GOP has ideologically left me. They no longer support small government, so I no longer support them.
    So if the Texans continue to suck, as they always will, will you get a grass roots effort going to bring a new team to Houston?

Can you tell how much I hate the incredible amount of Houston's resources and tax dollars go to support lousy role models playing silly meaningless games on our dime?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So if the Texans continue to suck, as they always will, will you get a grass roots effort going to bring a new team to Houston?

Can you tell how much I hate the incredible amount of Houston's resources and tax dollars go to support lousy role models playing silly meaningless games on our dime?
    Bad use of an analogy. I like the Texans because I'm from Houston. But, if for whatever reason, the Texans decided that, instead of attempting to win football games, it was just going to do whatever it took to maintain offensive possession of the ball the entire 60 minutes of the game, I would probably be really upset and start rooting for someone else. And that's what the GOP has done. They've quit being the champion of small government and adopted a 'hold power at all costs' party. As Lord Acton said, "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely." The current GOP's principles are corrupt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, it is your problem if Obama is elected. It's everyones problem.

Say goodbye to the right to bear arms.
    Say hello to government run everything.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Actually, it is your problem if Obama is elected. It's everyones problem.

Say goodbye to the right to bear arms.
    Say hello to government run everything.
    Bullsh*t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Bullsh*t.
    ok then.....what do you think obama will do....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Bullsh*t.
    Okay. Can you name a single policy of Senator Obama's that does not involve empowering government?

Can you name a single justice he would appoint to protect the Second Amendment?
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bush made me a Democrat.......thanks

Jeff: Although I wear the hat of a liberal bogeyman around here, I was actually a Republican up until 2000, when George Bush and his neocons completely abandoned the fiscal responsibility that's been one of the pillars of the GOP for years.

And then there's foreign policy. But don't get me started on Iraq.

But to make a long story short, I'd still be a Republican today if Bush had behaved like a real conservative. (And if he hadn't had a crew of assholes guiding his foreign policy.)

I may come back to the GOP in the future. But not while clowns like Bush and Cheney are running the party.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Okay. Can you name a single policy of Senator Obama's that does not involve empowering government?

Can you name a single justice he would appoint to protect the Second Amendment?
    Well, for one, his plan for faith-based programs (as discussed in another thread on this site) empower the people actually working in those programs--unlike the Bush model.

And two, nobody knows who he'd pick for justices--dumb question when we don't even know his cabinet yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GW in Ohio View Post
    Jeff: Although I wear the hat of a liberal bogeyman around here, I was actually a Republican up until 2000, when George Bush and his neocons completely abandoned the fiscal responsibility that's been one of the pillars of the GOP for years.

And then there's foreign policy. But don't get me started on Iraq.

But to make a long story short, I'd still be a Republican today if Bush had behaved like a real conservative. (And if he hadn't had a crew of assholes guiding his foreign policy.)

I may come back to the GOP in the future. But not while clowns like Bush and Cheney are running the party.
    Gee, this post seems so very sincere. You have gone from being a Republican to a bleeding heart liberal all because of Bush........ because he spends too much? ARE WE REALLY SUPPOSE TO BELIEVE THAT BULLSHIT? Democrats throw away our money as fast as they get their hands on it but unlike the Republicans that are forced to spend to rebuild the military after Democrat administrations decimate it(Carter, Clinton)Democrats spend it on stupid social programs to buy votes from the "stick it to the rich" crowd.

And now you support the most liberal asswipe in the asswipe Senate that includes such stellar economist as Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd, John F. Kerry(who served in Vietnam for 4 months) and Hillary Clinton(former detractor of Hussein Obama). Your transformation was 180% from the Republicans, I guess your boyfriend has a lot of influence on how you vote ....... Your type of hatred of President Bush is the type of hysterical whinyness of the homosexual brigade. Admit it, you know nothing about politics and get your opinions from "The View" and Oprah.